The definition of Carjacking is: A criminal taking of a motor vehicle from its driver by force, violence, or intimidation.
More often then not, the criminal is carrying a gun to carry out this violent act. Carjackers generally rely on the element of surprise to commit their crime. So as usual, being aware of our surroundings is key to preventing this potentially deadly attack.
Many victims of carjacking report never even seeing the attacker until after the gun is in their face. In some cases victims don’t even see the attacker until they are already being taken out of their vehicle.
These attacks commonly occur in big cities, at stoplights, or in parking structures or lots.
Here are a few tips to prevent a carjacking situation:
- Be aware of your surroundings when entering and exiting your vehicle. Notice who is around you or if you are potentially being followed.
- Try to walk to your car with another person if possible especially at night or in an unfamiliar area.
- Avoid parking near objects that someone can hide behind, such as dumpsters and large bushes
- Use Valet parking if in an unfamiliar or unsafe area
- Trust your instincts! If an area feels unsafe, it probably is.
- Avoid parking your vehicle in areas that aren’t well lit
- Lock doors and drive away quickly when parked in unknown or unsafe areas.
- Keep windows up and doors locked while driving in unknown or unsafe areas, especially if you have to make frequent stops.
If prevention isn’t possible, it is time to make a defense, or to just give up your vehicle and leave the situation safely. If you decide to leave the car and give the attacker your keys, do not leave any passengers or children in the vehicle! The chance of survival after being removed from the scene of the crime is significantly reduced.
In this week’s KMW Krav Maga video, I discuss a carjacking attempt from the front driver side of the vehicle. These attacks can occur from many angles, or even from inside the vehicle, but for this video we are focusing on one of the more common types of attack. The defense will change based on the position of the attacker and the way that the gun is presented.
This situation is extremely dangerous, so please practice this technique at your local KMW Training Center.
Ok, that’s all for now. Enjoy the video, be safe… and GO DO SOME KRAV MAGA TODAY!
Your feedback on the video is welcome.