Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Fear of injury while sparring?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    magpie

Let me preface this by saying I feel ashamed even bringing up the topic.

I just took an L2 class where the instructor had each of us defend against 4 attackers at once. None of us were wearing safety gear and it was pretty much “anything goes” (trying to avoid actual contact with strikes). I participated in a similar exercise during my L1 test.

One thing I noticed in both cases was that I was afraid of getting ACCIDENTALLY hit during the melee, esp. by students who are bigger and stronger than me. Does anyone else share this fear, and does it go away with time and experience?:OhMy:

wiccaman

Re: Fear of injury while sparring?

quote Magpie:

Does anyone else share this fear, and does it go away with time and experience?:OhMy:

Well, after nearly 15 years of doing Krav *my* answers would be: Yes; and No!.

Don’t worry about this though. Fear is your friend (if you know how to utilise it properly). Fear will cause all sorts of psychological and physiological effects that will really assist you in a combat situation.

It’s also good to take hits. Although shocking initially, you’ll soon be reassured to find out just how much of a battering you can take without any lasting damage. Soon you’ll just be able to shrug off a blow (although it’s still a good idea to try and avoid, or at least ride, incoming strikes) without any pause to your own attacks.

Taking a hit can cause people to decompose mentally if they don’t know what to expect. You don’t want your first experience of taking a smack in the face to be in your first real life encounter. Learn how to deal with blows in class.

What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.

[Well, maybe not malaria, but you get my drift]

lowecharli

I was fearing of injury at first too but when I get too scared that’s when I get hit more. :box:

maddogmean

Unintentional hits will happen. At first I was afraid of getting hit and it negatively affected my sparring. I wouldn’t engage. I’d throw one punch and defend or disengage. Once I accepted the fact that I may get hit, I was more effective in striking and defending.

lions2011

I dont spare full blast for the same reason. I do time sparing in Muay Thai and it is about 30-50 percent. Still feel some hits but never get hurt at all.

Full blast sparing is good for some people but not intersted in it. A broken nose could put you out of trainning for many months.

gordo

What are proper sparring manners?

I recently began sparring last week and I wasnt afraid of taking hits so much as I was about accidentally hurting someone. A lot of the other students are more advanced and have far better control of their strikes in that type of situation. They seemed to be going at a 50% pace or so but i suppose I was only comfortable trying to block for the most part. It almost seems like I need to go at like 100% pace to even keep up, but then I know it changes the whole game. Its not that I think I am some powerhouse or anything but I really dont want to hurt someone on accident (due to hitting a misplaced strike or striking too hard) or escalate the sparring session in to a full blown melle that will result in getting pummeled or kicked out of the class etc. Is it common to feel this way?

kmyoshi

Proper sparring manners are typically following what the instructor says. If he/she says go 30-40% speed/power, don’t go higher than that. Now obviously if you are sparring with someone you know who is at the same (fighting/sparring) level as you (or even more advance) and you are okay going harder, than have at it but I typically let my training partner dictate the level and I’ll match it. I know this is Krav, but I have kicked people in the groin thinking they had a cup on but they didn’t and I felt really bad so if you’re going to do groin kicks, ask if they have a cup on beforehand, not after doing a cup check (like I do so many times :Unsure:) I would say the same for head kicks as well, ask if your partner is okay with it and also pull the kicks (as in lessen the power) if you see an opening. No need to mess up your partner.

If your partner is going too hard, or too fast for you, tell them to slow down/take it down a notch. If you’re going 100% just to try to match their 50% they might think you’re trying to take their head off and up the ante.

gordo

thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

lions2011

Last week I spared a more advanced guy in Mthai. You are only supposed to go 30-40 percent. Next thing I know crack he kicks me in the ribs. Did feel like 60-70 percent. I thought it was an acident then he hits me again. Then I jab him hard in the face. Then he returns fire hard. Then I decide I am not interested in escalating this so I back off and go defense until the clock runs out and we switch. Maybe i should talk to him next time. I was pretty surprised. The instructor should of said something or maybe I should of. If I would of gone 70 percent then he would of gone 100 percent.
    Tough situation.

quote Magpie:

I just took an L2 class where the instructor had each of us defend against 4 attackers at once. None of us were wearing safety gear and it was pretty much “anything goes” (trying to avoid actual contact with strikes). I participated in a similar exercise during my L1 test.

I think it’s your responsibility to buy gear and wear them. Like headgear, mouthguard, groin guard, shinguards, handwraps, etc. And if you buy junky, cheap ones, it will be your own limbs and others, at risk.

magpie

I agree, FTF. The instructor purposely had us do the drill sans safety gear.

persechini

for to do sparring , it’ important have the protections !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: