Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Differences between Israeli and American/Other Krav?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m new to the forums, been training in Krav for a month and a half (4x/week), just passed the Level I test to move on to Level II. Previous TKD, Karate, and Kenpo experience.

I was wondering what, if any, differences there are between Israeli and American Krav styles be it civvy or military i.e. different ways of performing techniques or if one emphasized a different technique for similar situations. One of the main things I have noticed is that on pistol disarms the disarmer racks the slide after clearing the weapon from the attacker’s possession. Is this taught in American Krav vs Israeli military not carrying weapons with a round in the chamber? Just curious. Also, any advice for krav training in general?

dps

I think that the post-disarm racking is less in regard to \”israeli-style\” carry than to general weapon remediation. The potential for the weapon to jam as a result of the disarm is enormous.

anonymous

Hi,

On the pistol issue we already went through. There are differences, unfortunatelly.

yuri

In general there are no major differences between here in Israel. I have been teaching both in Israel and in CA (Orange County) and the instructors that I teach with perform the exercises very similar to what I am used to in Israel. There always be minor changes since every person will perform the exercise as it fits him best

ffdo

There are some minor differences, but nothing major. The gun disarm is taught in Israel with the rack because the fire arm will probably jam in the disarm but for the record they are also used to racking the gun because they are carried unchambered over there. (The instructors there were amazed that we carry our weapons cocked-n-locked here.)

For the most part I found the techniques VERY simular. (The choke from the back was different I think)

JC

anonymous

Hi Yuri,

I beleive we know each other…:)

In one way, you are right. But the question how much time have you spent with the IKMF lately? Because there are changes, as I understand – as I was training either with people from KM LA or in the KM LA center. I have noticed many differences. Either big, or small, but surely noticeable.

Now, the question would be fair, why dont we concentrate on the simiralities? Although this Summer I was assisting Eyal on a LE three days seminar, where mostly LE instructors participated with LA certification. According to them, they have been very suprised, how deep knowledge they have got, and they have noticed many light or major differences. And I had to agree with them.

Hope this topic will stay rather around techniques than turning into political issues. As always…:)

Shalom.

johnwhitman

Peter,
    You are the one who usually turns this into a political discussion, as you just did.

My suggestion to you is that you stop posting here. Find someone else who has gone to the trouble to run a forum and will let you talk about Eyal over and over again until they are tired of hearing it.

emil
    anonymous

If there are any differences in the techniques, I do find it interesting to talk about them. Just to see what the different options are, so one can try them out. But looks like kmman is leaving us. His avatar and name have disappeared….

clfmak

Commando krav maga uses highly advanced psychological defenses designed to scare your opponent into believing you’re a commando. Many martial artists are familiar with the camo pants defense, I wouldn’t want to take a roundhouse kick to the head by someone wearing those.

First off, thanks to dps and FFDO for their responses. I wasn’t aware of the high percentile chance of the weapon jamming during the disarm technique but I jumped back a few pages and found the video demonstration of the Sig. On first glance it seemed to be a little unsafe but at a closer look it seems a bit more safe (considering the situation) and ingenious. No hot gases directed towards hands from the semi-auto and the high probability of a failure to fire/eject would keep you safe (for a while) from immediate subsequent shots if you lost control of the pistol. It would also explain using the gun as an impact weapon first instead of trying to immediately shoot the attacker with their own weapon without racking the slide to ensure function.

I figured there wasn’t a lot of major differences between Israeli and American KM styles. I was more wondering if Israelis were more prone to a certain type of attack (gun, knife, choke) so that they perhaps utilized a modified type of certain individual technique, chose to use a different technique altogether, or perhaps were trained to use a certain followup counter-attack(s). I would ask what the weapons laws were like for civilans in Israel but I fear I might be swarmed with ego-driven off topic responses, and being new, I’m not familiar with the 360 defenses for those yet. 😀

sparrowhawk

Re:

[quote=\”Emil\”]Jeez guys…

(extremely long URL deleted)

Ummmm… folks? May I introduce to you a way to NOT have to endure posting such a long URL to make a point? Go to this website: http://www.tinyurl.com

Tinyurl.com will take such a long URL and morph it into a little one for posting. That long MSN url can become this:

http://tinyurl.com/dsakl

…and when you use that tinyurl instead, it comes right back to the long one you started with. 🙂

We now return you to your regularly scheduled firearm discussion. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: