Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    marc1000

Is the palm hook taught in Krav Maga schools. The Complete Krav Maga only mentions straight palm strikes. I know that Bas Rutten speaks highly of the palm hook

Thanks,

Marc

stuartf

Re: Palm hook

I’ve seen a palm hook in a couple of my classes, but I’m not sure if it’s part of the official curriculum, as sometimes we do unofficial stuff like muay thai clinches, etc.

kevinmack

It’s not Krav Maga but I teach Geoff Thompsons Combat Slap which I learned from Ernie Kirk. Supper effective and easy to generate a ton of power.

don

just one of a ton of slap videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPSev_L2mk&feature=endscreen&NR=1

you know it was gonna be bad when the second guy lines up his hand against the first guy’s face and his hand over half the size of the first guy’s head…

lol

kevinmack

Here is a great example of how effective the combat slap is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrABoQ2xzU

The guy who got hit actually died from that slap when his head hit the ground.

stevem174

quote KevinMack:

Here is a great example of how effective the combat slap is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrABoQ2xzU

Man, that guy never saw it coming.

tzrider

quote KevinMack:

Kevin, how do you know this?

kevinmack

That video was out years ago and a few different people from the country of origin posted that it was a big news story there and thats what happened. This was from a variety of sources.

tzrider

quote KevinMack:

That video was out years ago and a few different people from the country of origin posted that it was a big news story there and thats what happened. This was from a variety of sources.

I was looking for more info on that, but couldn’t find it. I did find a few people who claimed the guy had died and were ridiculed, but that doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. The guy on the ground sure looks inert.

mdeaneuscg

While it certainly looks like the slap is quite effective, what are the merits/dangers of a palm strike in an arcing/hook motion? A strike in which the objective is not to use a swinging motion to slap with the hand, but using the hips to drive the exposed palm of the hand into the target.

bradm

I saw a video some time ago with Bas Ruten in a MMA fight. He knocked his opponent out with slaps.

catapult

While googling Geoff Thompson, I found his book ‘Dead or Alive: The Choice is Yours’ reproduced online with his permission. Skimming through it, you throw the punch just like a hook and try to hit the jaw with the heel of your hand (or your knuckles) for a quick knockout.

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?columnid=14

The Bas video was probably Pancrase. The rules didn’t let them hit the head with a fist.

stuartf

Re-reading the Bas article, I don’t think he’s talking about a palm hook. He says

quote :

I love palm strikes because you have a longer reach. Normally when you give a left hook and then a right straight, you are TOO close for the right straight, why? Because the hook is shorter. When you give him instead of a left hook a left palm strike, NOW your right arm (that follows) can really extend, thus has way more impact.

That looks to me like he’s talking about a straight left palm strike followed by a straight right punch because a palm hook would have roughly the same range as a hook punch.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: