Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Anyone ever train in regular clothes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi

I was thinking of attending a training session with jeans to see how effective my kicks and ground position kicks/movement would be with the restriction of everyday clothing. Has anyone here done this already? I’d probably use a pair of jeans I could care less about. I’d also ask the instructor before hand if this was okay/safe and also because the instructors are now enforcing the requirement of KMW top and bottoms.

inky

Re: Anyone ever train in regular clothes?

I do. did in my work slacks with a tie and dress shoes. Also did in jeans and boots. it gets a bit hot and binding but in a circle of life you forget all about it.

kmyoshi

Yikes slacks!!! I’d be more worried about ripping a nice pair of $100 slacks but you gotta train as realistically as possible! Props to you. I will probably start doing this. Do you train in these clothes regularly? I will probably switch to that if that were the case.

inky

Nope just every once in a while. We only “have” to wear the krav logo gear for testing other then that i try to either wear my pants or a shirt for school support.
    (I prefer tank tops n shorts)
    Like the KRAV MAGA PDX stickers on my car dont say it enough lol.

I do practice Retzef at work in my snazzy uniform everyday. If i am to be attacked around where i live it would be in my work clothes. Cuz otherwise I believe most people think I’m a thug lol. Especialy when I am with my boy’s as Goth kids are kinda scarry too.

kmyoshi

Ah yeah, at the NTC in LA wearing KMW top and bottom is enforced. I’d much prefer to train in the restrictiveness of regular clothes so I know I can perform the techniques even though I know it’d probably get a bit nasty after a few hours of training.

kmky

We’ve done a couple of classes with jeans/khakis & t-shirts and during the winter some drills in jackets. it’s been a while since we’ve done it though. i didn’t care for the jacket drill since i was already pretty hot by the time we started doing them

catapult

http://www.kravmagaalliance.com/media/video-demos/#drills

Look for the video of John Whitman teaching in slacks and a tie with a gear bag over his shoulder. Also a woman kicking arse in a a skirt and heels. She didn’t even slip out of the heels before she started kicking. Good stuff.

I’ve had classes where students should come in their everyday clothes. usually i enforce our federation uniforms and if students show up in different clothes they’ll get some extra exercises that class (extra exercises for free though)

So this thread reminds me I should have some of those classes again.

Personally I used to work in event security and wore a combat pants with comfortable sweater or jacket. fortunately I did not have suit up very often. I do remember how we once had to wear real ties on sertain jobs and on the way to an incident I had to get rid of that thing while running. I hardly do security work anymore but I do still wear just comfortable clothing to move in, no juwelery etc.

inky

Forgot my shoes and trained in my 18 eye steel toe combat boots the other day. Not bad…. dude held that kick shield way out there!

kmyoshi

That’s cheating inky… haha. If you’re planning on getting in a fight, steel toed shoes are probably the way to go!

Yeah I went a few months without wearing KMW attire. I remember certain instructors gave me a hard time about it (made me do more push ups, etc.)

I’ve yet to go train in regular clothes… need to start though if the instructor permits it.

yurikrav

we are having Street Clothes Training Week + Intro to Gun Defense – 12/11 at Krav Maga of Orange County

will

First Instructor I had insisted we all trainied in everyday clothes and/or clothes we worked in. I’m UK based and in my class we had a couple of parachute regiment guys (US equivilent Rangers or Airbourne) and they came and trained one session in full combat gear (cammies, chest rig, body armor etc). They felt they had to relearn some of the techniques as their attire really changed things from normal uniform of school t-shirt and sweats. I would recommend a session a month to everyone where you train in everyday gear, I think it’s really beneficial. For example say you’re a postal worker.. having a satchel over your shoulder will change you center of gravity right? If you’re not used to it even a little it could through a simple technique out enough to cause trouble. Not gospel, just an opinion.

danielos

We do it once in a while

eli

Fantastic topic.

I enforce street clothes (within reason and practicality) in all of my classes.

I think it’s beyond useless to train consistently in anything other than what you’re wearing a high percentage of the time. By all means, train in MMA shorts and bare feet if that’s the way you walk around. That may work in Venice Beach, but here in the Northeast it’s jeans, boots, and jackets more than half the year.

My kids know if they come to class in anything other than jeans, boots/sneakers, and a T shirt, they’re going to get dressed down (pun intended). The marine ROTC kids in my class who are planning on shipping out, and who are often in uniform, train in their BDUs and combat boots, and the security guys and LEOs in my class train in their 5.11s and with and without their duty belts (with facsimile weapons)

Now obviously this can’t be taken to it’s logical extreme all the time: for example, it makes no sense to train a female office employee who wears heels the majority of the time IN her heels. The repetitions will be painful and may lead to stress or technique-related injury. Likewise, we can’t do the entire class in heavy winter jackets without risking heat stroke and an overly uncomfortable training environment.

So we strike a balance in two ways:

1) Jeans and street shoes in class for realistic leg mobility, and

2) Monthly dressed-up classes that allow for every technique to be demonstrated in AND against full winter jackets, dress shoes (including high heels), suits, and dresses. Carrying briefcases, messenger bags, and purses is also included.

You’d be surprised what a confidence booster it is, especially for the ladies who have trepidation about executing techniques with heels on. The stiletto can be quite a weapon, though…anybody who’s been front kicked with one knows that!

I encourage kids to go to goodwill and grab some 10 dollar suits, dresses, jeans, and heels to train in. That way they don’t feel bad when they inevitably rip and tear.

I don’t see much point in the ubiquitous wind pants either. Unless you go about your day in athletic wear, it would seem BDU pants, khakis, or jeans would be a far better training choice. They wear well (especially the BDUs), give a more realistic expectation for range of motion, and are relatively comfortable to train in (at least my kids don’t complain after a 5 hour belt test in jeans…).

I think the worst offender is the bare feet, though. There’s just a totally different reality when you’re wearing sneakers or boots. Without them, you’re protecting your toes when you kick, you’re moving differently, and it enforces a sport mentality that flies in the face of krav maga’s dogma. The only use for training in bare feet is the same as training in heels: training for the times when you’re NOT wearing sneakers, like when you’re in the house in a home invasion scenario, etc.

The more interesting issue IMHO is personal weapons. So many people walk in and train, then pop their 4 inch tactical folder and defensive light in their back pocket when they walk out. If you don’t train with these tools, it’s likely they won’t get into play. You will default to your level of training. Realistically speaking, a folder is a far better offensive than defensive tool, but let’s not get into that now. Those all get locked in gear bags when they enter the class to avoid confusion with blunt folding training knives.

Occasionally, however, I allow training with kubotans and defensive lights to integrate them into the “krav equation,” covering their use in different states of situational awareness and basic employment in aid of krav techniques (such as hammerfists with the crenelated end of the light as a concentrated-force impact weapon).

Given, there are proven and effective ways to employ knives in SD, like the methods taught in FMA, but that’s largely outside of the purview of the level of Krav Maga I teach, and certainly outside of my expertise and comfort zone. In any event, generally speaking, your hands are going to be much faster weapons going from point A to the threat than a knife that must be unclipped, deployed, and then engaged with in three steps. I will say, though, that a hefty, long folding knife makes for a great and socially acceptable impact weapon and tool.

Sorry for rambling all over your board tonight. Insomnia…
    Best,
    -Eli

mikrosangel

At Krav Maga Rochester. We are allowed to train in street cloths all the time. The only item we are not allowed to wear any shoes that we wear out on the street, because of the expensive mats on the floor. Better to know how you feel and perform in your everyday wear than in a gi.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: