Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

I was flipping through the channels and stopped on some fight scene, on some low budget sci fi show. Two people were fighting with some flashy \”I know generic martial arts\” kicks like crescent kicks. Then, someone uses the made for TV double hammerfist (swinging both hands as if they were one). I started thinking about this, and experimenting with this tool on my heavy bag. What I got to thinking was \”why do TV shows use this?\” I know they also use it in pro wrestling. But anyway, its not a really natural attack (I’ve never seen a fight with anything resembling that), and I’ve never seen it in a martial art (trained fighting), so I wonder where it came from (besides ripping it off from old star trek fighting- judo and double hammerfist).
    I noticed that its application is limited to situations where you could use more direct tools like the drop elbow. But it would be possible if your lead arm crossed your centerline too far to the inside. It would also be a decent tool from the mount. My main objection is that its hard to utilize any push-pull energy with it.
    Oh, and there’s a picture of something like this is an old nazi hand to hand combat manual, but I can’t read German so I can’t make much of it.
    Any thoughts on this method of attack?

Quite often it was used as a violent and radical way to break a thug’s grip on your collars.

It is shown in that german WWII combatives field manual.
    You come upward and inside the grip with both hands closed together to make a massive fist, break the grip and then smash by going downward all the reachable targets ( top of nose mostly or low part of the jaw ).

Nowadays, it is considered to be outdated. In fact, all your vital targets still stay available for a counter attack from the thug.

And there are more efficient weapons : chin jab, cowcatcher, power slap, edge of hand.

Feel free to visit this german military manual by going to :

http://www.get-tough.net

click on \” manuals \”, and then the choice will be yours :mrgreen:

Abwehr .pdf files, page 24.

emil

Doesn’t Sakuraba use a strike like that on the ground?

garddawg

CLF,
    Are you getting a degree in historical fighting manuels. German scripts, Europeon fencing texts whats next? Not a fan of this strike. Might be good in the mount as you mentioned but there are so many other things you can use that would be more effective while standing.

mordechai

I do believe the correct term for the two handed hammerfist is the \”Captain Kirk\”.

la-revancha

I think the Kirk terminology is subjective. Jarret from NTC told us that the Brown Belt \”sacrifice throw\” is also known as the Captain Kirk.

mordechai

Then it is obvious, Captain Kirk is the true teacher. We must all model our fighting techniques on his.

There should no longer be any kvetching about Master Yip is da bomb, or Bruce Lee was the true master, or BJJ rulz, MMA beats TMAs any day, etc. Captain Kirk is, was, and will always be the One.

clfmak

What is a cowcatcher? I’ve read a bunch of manuals from different places and times, but have never come across that one.
    I’ve also heard of a rolling cradle, but not too sure what that is either.
    oh, and that get-tough.net is a great site. Its got manuals from a bunch of different countries: Germany, America, Yugoslavia, Sweden, UK, Canada…interesting stuff.

Also, about the kirk maneuver, it seems like it may work against a crouching attack, followed up immediately by a hold for knees or takedown, maybe a guillotine. Both hands have to go down anyway, seems like it couldn’t hurt (figuratively)

wiccaman

I wager 300 quatloos on Mordechai!

Stay safe,

Al

la-revancha

A cowcatcher is basically a double underhook throw from the sprawling position. Think about somebody shooting for a double leg with their elbows up (horizontal to the ground as opposed to vertical and tight to your body). As he shoots in, you sprawl and lace both underhooks into each respective armpit. From there, you can lock the hooks deep (or lock your hands together), twist hard with shoulders and hips, and take the guy down shoulder blades first.

The odd name originates from the opponent’s position when shooting in: his flaired arms resemble the horns of a longhorn, so youíre essentially catching the ìbull by the hornsî.

Sorry, thatís the best I could do without a picture.

clfmak

In my sparring class, we do drills with the double underhook. One person throws a continuous stream of punches, and the other person has to stop them by getting under both arms.
    I figured the cow catcher might be a double spearhand attack (called child prays to buddah in kung fu) because it looks like a big wedge, or a cowcatcher on a train.

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

or a cowcatcher on a train.

That is the correct statement.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: