Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge 2 handed punch

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sunstar

I wanted to get opinions on something. What do you think of using both hands to punch simultaneously? This would be used as a preemptive strike. I’m thinking of a left to the chin and a right to the solar plexus. Similiar to a 360 defense where we block with the left and strike with the right. I am a relatively short guy (about 5’7) so I am looking for any and all advantages.

Thanks for the input.

dkatman

Re: 2 handed punch

I think you would be missing the umph off either of those punches. Which one would get the body rotation? I think it is that full rotation that gives the strength behind the punch.

In regards to 360 plus counter (although I still envision the straight punch with counter), I think the main point is still that it is better to counter and turn the tables from defensive to offensive quickly. So it is more important for the speed of the counter than the power of the counter.

Also, when I throw my left to the chin, my right should be somewhere close to me, providing protection.

I do recommend you give your idea a try with a heavy pad, or with a friend holding focus mitts. I would mix it up: Throw three double shots. Then throw three combos to the chin to the body and see what feels like it accomplishes what you are looking for and feels comfortable doing.

Good Luck,
    Dave

nick1911

I’d think that you wouldn’t develop very good power or reach. Think about it – when you throw a punch, the entirety of your core is engaged. Your hips turn some, and your shoulders turn a bunch. You would lose the power (and reach!) that this turning gives you.

In my opinion, you’d be better off with the classic 1-2 punch – just work to make it lightening fast! As soon as you hit with the jab, be recoiling back and twisting to send the live side punch.

sunstar

quote DKatman:

I think you would be missing the umph off either of those punches. Which one would get the body rotation? I think it is that full rotation that gives the strength behind the punch.

In regards to 360 plus counter (although I still envision the straight punch with counter), I think the main point is still that it is better to counter and turn the tables from defensive to offensive quickly. So it is more important for the speed of the counter than the power of the counter.

Also, when I throw my left to the chin, my right should be somewhere close to me, providing protection.

I do recommend you give your idea a try with a heavy pad, or with a friend holding focus mitts. I would mix it up: Throw three double shots. Then throw three combos to the chin to the body and see what feels like it accomplishes what you are looking for and feels comfortable doing.

Good Luck,
    Dave

I see your point about the rotation. Thanks for the response.

thecrownsown

quote Nick1911:

I’d think that you wouldn’t develop very good power or reach. Think about it – when you throw a punch, the entirety of your core is engaged. Your hips turn some, and your shoulders turn a bunch. You would lose the power (and reach!) that this turning gives you.

In my opinion, you’d be better off with the classic 1-2 punch – just work to make it lightening fast! As soon as you hit with the jab, be recoiling back and twisting to send the live side punch.

What if the two punches simultaneously were given as you burst in to an oppenent, with momentum on your side? Would this be practical then. I see what you mean re: a stationary attack.

jaspthecat

We used a 2 handed strike in Xing Yi Quan, although the strike was with he heel of the palm as opposed to knuckles.

The majority of the power (as with most XYQ) came from the momentum of the body and the strike was often accompanied by a forward step. If you got it ‘right’ it had a lot of power and I have seen people launched back quite a few feet when subjected to good technique.

It’s generallly a chest level strike / shove so would be good for encouraging people to ‘back off’ if being attacked. I guess you could aim for the chin and if you got it right could cause some damage……

Hope this helps.

clfmak

The 2 handed punch as you describe is in some Southern kung fu styles. The interesting thing about it is that intuitively, people want to do this with their body square to the opponent, but if you turn your body sideways when you do it, you can add power with the abdominal muscles in an interesting way. You also have to do it while stepping in explosively or it’s really weak, and you have to hit with the arms in an extended position and don’t let them collapse. The idea is that if you hit the solar plexis or groin with a solid punch, the upper body is going to want to lurch forward as the abdominal muscles contract and the lower body is knocked back forcefully, and when you hit the face, the head rocks back and the lower body is exposed, so when you hit both at the same time, you take away the body’s natural mechanisms that absorb the damage of a high or low strike. There’s a technique in kempo karate called U Punch where the technique is used against a front choke or lapel grab where you are being pulled forward. I’ve also seen it followed with a fireman’s carry. A similar use of this principle is how WW2 combatives material advocate kneeing the groin and attacking under the chin with an upward palm strike.

seeq-qc

IMO sounds complicated…not the most instinctive tactic…better train your butt off if you plan to use it effectively and reflexively

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: