Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics 3 vs 1 … Like your odds?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93HZtWdgDcQ

Technically it was a 1 on 1 which turned into a 2 on 1 but could have turned into a 3 on 1… another reason to try to get up off the ground as soon as possible although it looked like the dress shirt guy was getting grappled by the striped shirt guy and thus had problems getting up off the ground.

kmman

Re: 3 vs 1 … Like your odds?

The victim could have done a better job of de-escalating. This probably could have been avoided.

Having said that, this is a typical knock down and stomp. So it is great to learn ground fighting but the likelihood is better that if you get knocked to the ground your attacker will look to kick you in the face rather than jump on you and submit you.

The victim could have kept his distance a lot better and tried using one opponent to block the other by moving. As long as you can keep one opponent between yourself and the other opponent, at least its 1 on 1.

Would love to read others take on this…

esquire32

No dont like the odds. Black guy should have picked up on the look of stripped shirt a bit before engaging him. Looked like a psedu gang bange, but who knows.

The partthats is really scary is the people videoin, honking, and watching without one stepping out of the car and stopping this guy from getting his head stomped. Not that i’d advocate getting nvolved in a street brawal as you take some serious risks, but simply watching while the black guy is on the pavement getting kicked in the head seems a bit cold. Hmmm. maybe a lil tap to the rear of the latin guys car if the videotapers didn;t wish to …?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Putting aside the “woulda coulda shoulda” done this or that technique.

I don’t think he actually realized he was in a multiple attacker scenario until he was blind-sided. He didn’t perceive the other 2 individuals as potential threats thus gave into tunnel vision focusing on only what/who was in front of him. That was a critical mistake.

I often find with larger opponents they place too much stock in their ability to intimidate by size disparity giving them a false sense of security. All that goes out the window when the opponent has a modicum of skill or at the very least a fight rather than flight response.

At the risk of racially profiling the Hispanic individuals should have ALL been placed in the potential attacker category. It’s my personal experience they tend to fight in groups, and although there was only one primary instigator the others would have been equally if not more so on my radar.

I’ll leave you with this thought, in a multiple attacker scenario your best weapon isn’t your size, speed, strength or physical training. It’s your brain. If you can control the situation you can walk away relatively unhurt.

Sidenote: last night I went to break up a 2 on 1 which turned into a 3 on me, I was hit from behind with a bottle (NOT from one of the 3 guys!) and as I type this have a 4” laceration on my forehead that actually came from the guy who was on the bottom I was pulling the other 2 off of. Yes the guy I was saving struck me. The moral to the story is even though I perceived all 3 of them as hostile I was still caught off guard by someone in the crowd. Not to mention the victim in this story viewed me as a hostile and struck me while I was restraining his attacker. Hollywood Nightlife, great field training!

Situational awareness and threat assessment is your friend – learn them.

don

Glad you’re Ok Sean! Hope you heal up 100% soon and they throw the book at the aholes! Have you tried vitamin E for healing?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Don:

Glad you’re Ok Sean! Hope you heal up 100% soon and they throw the book at the aholes! Have you tried vitamin E for healing?

ehh I’m fine, I’ve been hit worse. Was back at the noon class today thumbsup

don

quote CJs Dad:

ehh I’m fine, I’ve been hit worse. Was back at the noon class today thumbsup

HARD CORE! bow1

Ok, just saw the video. IMO, pretty stupid to engage in a road rage fight (takes two to tango), pretty stupid to expect it to stay 1 on 1, pretty stupid to expect the other guys Not to use weapons (he got real lucky there), pretty stupid to expect the other guys to stop assaulting you if/when you’re down and/or out (he was lucky it wasn’t worse).

One article said the black guy was arrested for engaging in a similar road rage altercation a month prior… go figure…

kmyoshi

This article?

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Jerry-Patterson-Road-Rage-Attack-YouTube-Video-161600535.html

Lesson is don’t engage in a road rage confrontation if you can get out of it. Apparently this was all over someone getting cut off.

just-hilts

I agree the whole thing could have been avoided. I have a question, though, about de-escalating the whole thing verbally before it comes to an actual fight. Where can you go to get guidelines or examples of how to do this? Are there any training videos available? Seems to me, talking your way out of it is a technique in and of itself, and probably one that will keep you the most out of trouble.

don

Is it that hard to make stuff up?

off the top of my head:

Look Bro, I’m sorry man! (even if you’re not sorry)
    It was my bad, I really didn’t see you – my fault, ok? (even if it wasn’t your fault)
    I’m going through some family problems right now (even if you haven’t) and I’ve got a lot on my mind, (even if you don’t) so I wasn’t paying as much attention as I could have (even though you did). I don’t want any trouble, ok?
    Hey, it won’t happen again man!

Stay in your car. Be a good actor. Have your phone handy. Have a weapon ready or be ready to use your car as a weapon. Be ready to drive off quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btBw70HAys4

kmyoshi

I had a group of club attired but trashy African American girls try to pick a fight with my girlfriend. They accidentally bumped into her while walking through a crowd of people at Caesars Palace’s Forum shops in Vegas and thinking that they would apologize, said “it’s okay” in a nonchalant manner. They exploded, saying things like “WTF? Get back here b!tch,” etc. etc., in that instant she walked off as she didn’t want to be a part of it (yes leaving me behind). This group consisted of 3 girls and 2 guys and they were about to chase her down (just the girls) when I intervened and said I’m sorry and we didn’t want any trouble. They backed down after that. Had it escalated from there than I would of had to reassess the situation but luckily that de-escalation “technique” worked.

jacgue36

Don,
    Well said!!

kmman

A good rule of thumb when stopped in your car is to always be sure to have enough room between you and the car in front of you that you can get out (example red light). Particularly in bad neighborhoods in case of carjacking but any neighborhood.

danielsaun

quote CJs Dad:

Putting aside the “woulda coulda shoulda” done this or that technique.

I don’t think he actually realized he was in a multiple attacker scenario until he was blind-sided. He didn’t perceive the other 2 individuals as potential threats thus gave into tunnel vision focusing on only what/who was in front of him. That was a critical mistake.

I often find with larger opponents they place too much stock in their ability to intimidate by size disparity giving them a false sense of security. All that goes out the window when the opponent has a modicum of skill or at the very least a fight rather than flight response.

At the risk of racially profiling the Hispanic individuals should have ALL been placed in the potential attacker category. It’s my personal experience they tend to fight in groups, and although there was only one primary instigator the others would have been equally if not more so on my radar.

I’ll leave you with this thought, in a multiple attacker scenario your best weapon isn’t your size, speed, strength or physical training. It’s your brain. If you can control the situation you can walk away relatively unhurt.

Sidenote: last night I went to break up a 2 on 1 which turned into a 3 on me, I was hit from behind with a bottle (NOT from one of the 3 guys!) and as I type this have a 4” laceration on my forehead that actually came from the guy who was on the bottom I was pulling the other 2 off of. Yes the guy I was saving struck me. The moral to the story is even though I perceived all 3 of them as hostile I was still caught off guard by someone in the crowd. Not to mention the victim in this story viewed me as a hostile and struck me while I was restraining his attacker. Hollywood Nightlife, great field training!

Situational awareness and threat assessment is your friend – learn them.

Sorry you were hurt. I take it you are a bouncer/doorman? I really like your point about big guys overestimating their size when faced against potentially more than one. Another problem the black guy had was he wasn’t moving enough he let himself get pinned against that wall. Then the 2 could “triangulate” against him.

the-revenge

Hey gang first post here. After browsing the forum this thread got my attention.

I think the guy could have de-escalated the situation and just got back in his car. I also think coming out with a front leg kick was a mistake.

It turns my stomach to know other people were sitting in their car watching. The video car had at least two guys in it, someone could have intervened when he was getting stomped in the head.

Not sure what states you guys live in but in Florida you could have killed the two Mexicans if you feared for the victims life. I conceal carry 90% of the time and it would have been real hard to not fill the kickers with lead.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: