Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    blanker

Re: 360 Defense

quote Oneness:

Blanker, you are the one that doesnt get it and thats fine.

I’ve had shot guns pulled on me, knives and been in multiple attackers situations, road rage incidents, etc. I have even been the aggressor and the asshole that picked on blokes like you. I did alot of growing up over the years and now train people to protect themselves.

Its different for you if you are a bouncer, and yes, I’ve done that too. Its very easy to do things when you are the sober one and fighting people that have been drinking.

I’m done with this discussion you are like most that have done some martial arts, bounced and beat up some drunk people and think you know something. You proabably cant kick correctly, cant punch correctly and proabably cant defend correctly. I see it all the time.

your showing your ignortance, theres no such thing as kicking or punching properly! a proper punch is one that gets the k.o nothing more and to be honest i find it hard to believe that you have worked the doors if you think you only fight drunks.
    the 360% defence dosnt work its that simple boxer do millions of punches and take millions of punches, you can argue that its a sport but a punch is a punch and thay are the experts and what do thay do? thay evade if thay have the room and if thay dont then thay block it if the real experts dont do the 360% defence then why do you? it dosnt matter if theres a knife bottle fist or ash tray the 360% defence dosnt work for all the reasons i have said, rather then trying to personally offend me why not give me some reason why you think it does?

oneness

I apologize for my last post. I think we are just looking at two different situations and the context of how we teach 360. If you have room to move and evade then do it. If you dont and are late then like ryan said your hands move quicker, defend and counter attack and try and end the situation as quickly as possible.

I also feel that you should know how and where to punch correctly, thats why we train. Why throw a punch and hit someone in the shoulder when you could’ve aimed and hit them in the throat. To many people just swing for the fences and if you can see and hit the opening presented you will end the fight. It sounds like you did with one punch, correct?

ryan

Blanker, where did I say anything about a simultaneous counter or an easy KO? Please point it out to me. I believe the meat of the defense is in the offense. If one is surprised and the arm goes out to block the surprise attack, you may stop that first attack. Stopping subsequent attacks is dependent on being very aggressive in counterattacks.

stevetuna

We had a murder here about two weeks ago. The victim died from one stab wound into his heart. I looked at that one inch stab wound and thought, “Man, if this guy had known the 360 defenses, he’d most likely still be here.”

Yeah, it’s that simple.

kirsten

Well Blanker I will tell you that there is such a thing as a correct kick and punch. To say that there is no such thing is like saying there is no such thing as correct shooting technique, correct driving technique, while styles may be a little different, there is such a thing as incorrect in all of these. Without correct form everyone will begin breaking hands, wrists, and accuracy will be a joke, you will hyperextend your knees, elbows and begin defending yourself with all the skill of two little kids on the playground. Why open yourself up to continued attacks because you failed to make an accurate counterattack that hit the person in the arm? Why break your hand on the first counterattack because you either used incorrect form or your accuracy was so poor you punched them in the back of the head?

There is a correct way to do it and an incorrect way. That’s why we instructors are here… to teach this. While there is no such thing as a perfect punch or kick when being attacked and under stress, we do teach correct form so that when you are under stress and that 60% is all that comes out, it increases the likelihood that you wont get hurt from your own attacks. So I am not sure where your getting that statement…

As for explaining to you WHY we teach and use 360 in a real situation- people here have told you the reasons and strategy behind using it. I think you prefer your way, and we prefer a way that makes sense, is proven to work, and will work for the vast majority of people– the vast majority of the time and against multiple type of attacks. Do it or don’t… but you may end up like this when you try to do your way against a knife.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Health/ap_xray_knife_080930_ssh.jpg

blanker

I apologize for my last post. I think we are just looking at two different situations and the context of how we teach 360. If you have room to move and evade then do it. If you dont and are late then like ryan said your hands move quicker, defend and counter attack and try and end the situation as quickly as possible. o.k fair enough, but imo if you dont have room to move to then you want see it coming, this i my experience. you will by reflex stick a less importent part of your body infront of a importent part of your body but training to do so and using it in as a first defence i cant see the point if you can do higher percent techniques. i will apologize for my previous post aswell.

I also feel that you should know how and where to punch correctly, thats why we train. Why throw a punch and hit someone in the shoulder when you could’ve aimed and hit them in the throat. To many people just swing for the fences and if you can see and hit the opening presented you will end the fight. It sounds like you did with one punch, correct? my point was that a punch that does the job is important regardless of form, of course you the better the technique the higher your chances of success or, i wasnt suggesting that you dont need to train

blanker

quote Ryan:

Blanker, where did I say anything about a simultaneous counter or an easy KO? Please point it out to me. I believe the meat of the defense is in the offense. If one is surprised and the arm goes out to block the surprise attack, you may stop that first attack. Stopping subsequent attacks is dependent on being very aggressive in counterattacks.

my point was that in a real fight not sparring your oponent will be hitting you with everything he has if your lucky enough only to be fighting one person. the difference betwean the first shot and second shot is no time at all ok if he badly tellagraphs his first shot you may be able to block it but you could of evaded and countered if that happend, but thats an unskilled oponent who are some of the most dangerous as he want fight in a structured way he will throw punches from odd agles he will hit you multiple times with the same hand. if you block the first shot he has the momentum he with throw another and another and you just cant block them all as fast and as hard as he can and like i have said many times arms bend someone throwing a full force punch isnt going to be stopped by a stiff arm unless you throw an equal amount of force into the block which is physically impossible unless your alot bigger and stronger then him. try it in training stand 10″ in front of your training partner and get him to throw full force hook/overhand punches at you as fast and hard as he can and then you can make up your own mind.

blanker

Well Blanker I will tell you that there is such a thing as a correct kick and punch. To say that there is no such thing is like saying there is no such thing as correct shooting technique, correct driving technique, while styles may be a little different, there is such a thing as incorrect in all of these. Without correct form everyone will begin breaking hands, wrists, and accuracy will be a joke, you will hyperextend your knees, elbows and begin defending yourself with all the skill of two little kids on the playground. Why open yourself up to continued attacks because you failed to make an accurate counterattack that hit the person in the arm? Why break your hand on the first counterattack because you either used incorrect form or your accuracy was so poor you punched them in the back of the head?
    There is a correct way to do it and an incorrect way. Thatís why we instructors are hereÖ to teach this. While there is no such thing as a perfect punch or kick when being attacked and under stress, we do teach correct form so that when you are under stress and that 60% is all that comes out, it increases the likelihood that you wont get hurt from your own attacks. So I am not sure where your getting that statementÖ ? i explained my point on punching technique so i want go over it again but you bring up a very good point about under stress forgetting most of your training. in a fight you cant be thinking should a use the 360 defence of block or evade or perry the less techniques you know the more chance of using them effectively and as the 360% defence is a low % technique for the reasons i have already explained why train it? its better to have 1 technique that can be used in a thousand scenarios then try and have a thousand techniques for one scenario, this is the magor problem with martial arts thay try and deal with every possible event with a different technique which is fine if your a samuri and have been training 6 hours a day since you could walk but that just isnt possible in the modern world.

As for explaining to you WHY we teach and use 360 in a real situation- people here have told you the reasons and strategy behind using it. I think you prefer your way, and we prefer a way that makes sense, is proven to work, and will work for the vast majority of peopleñ the vast majority of the time and against multiple type of attacks. Do it or donítÖ but you may end up like this when you try to do your way against a knife.
    i have been attacked by knifes and thats why im pressing my point. the 360 defence may work in a fight but so may standing arm locks spinning jumping kicks or flying submissions but the likely hoos is low. a point on knife defence i would like to make is dont think your not going to get stabbed the lad with the knife has the advantage dont let your training give you false confidence!

blanker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNCneFiLTKU

this illustrates my point about not even seeing the knife.

bradm

Was the guy in the long sleeve grey shirt carrying a knife? Hard to tell. Looks like he discarded something behind him when the police came.

blanker

yeah. if you look the guy in the white shirt dosnt even know he got stabbed! every punch the guy in the gray throws is a stab.

ryan

I’m not sure what the video “proves”. I didn’t know anyone was arguing that you are likely to see the knife. Most KM instructors I know argue the opposite.

When this argument started… a knife being involved and not knowing about it was an argument I used in favor of the 360 defense…

I agree with Fred on this. I use the 360 defense because it works regardless if there is/isn’t a knife and whether or not I see it.

I have done 360 against an opponent in training not knowing if he had a knife or not. My first indication that he had a knife is when it fell from his hands once I did the 360…that’s the power of it. A 360 defense that is correctly done doesn’t “bend” or “buckle” under the attack. In fact, done properly the 360 hurts the attacker like you wouldn’t believe, as anyone who has done it at full speed can attest.

night-robin

Every Instructor I have had has GREATLY emphasized the fact that the 360 Defense is as much an attack as a block. Your not just holding your arm up to thwart an attack, your meeting the man in the middle so to speak. When done correctly, it isn’t very comfy at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: