Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics A few beginner questions :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    olliepm

Hey all!

I’m new to the forum, and to Krav Maga. I’ve been to one class but really enjoyed it, so I intend to train regularly from now on. I just have a few beginner questions if you’ll indulge me…

1) Highly recommended reading/viewing? I’m interested in Krav Maga’s history, as well as it’s technique. Anything considered a must read, or must watch is something I must read/watch!

2) Advice for training at home? I’ll be attending training either one, or two nights a week, however I’d like to buy a punching bag at least. Can anyone recommend some good budget training equipment for developing strikes at home? I know nothing of punching bag hardness, or weight, or whether I should wear gloves etc Viewing/reading pertaining to home workouts would also be greatly appreciated.

3) Lastly, seeing as I’ve never studied any martial art, or fighting style, I’ve never been taught even so much as to throw a punch. Krav Maga, while it seems perfect for me, does tend to skip over this area a litte. I wondered which other fighting arts might be worth learning in conjunction with Krav Maga? I’m small, skinny, and rely on speed, so Wing Chun was something I had considered, for example. I do, however, wish to keep my style strictly realistic, and street, and if I do learn a second fighting system, it would be primarily for learning a few practical, fast, and effective striking techniques.

Thanks a lot 🙂

-Ollie

maddogmean

Re: A few beginner questions 🙂

The Complete Krav Maga is a pretty comprehensive book. Not so much about history, but rather techniques.

olliepm

Thanks for replying MadDog. I’ll be sure to get a hold of that one 🙂

To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed. I thought I might have had a bit more input over two days for such beginner level questions. Over 100 views, and only one reply? Come on!

shinfucius

1) Complete Krav Maga for technique. For history, there is some info on this forum (see Kevin Mack’s posts).

2) A heavy bag might be better, since you can also work on elbow strikes, hammerfists, knees, and kicks. I would recommend gloves for heavy bags (or at least hand wraps). Your knuckles may get a little raw without them.

3) In my opinion, I think it’s just the opposite. Krav Maga really drills the basic combatives (including straight punches) a lot in the beginner level. I think most martial arts will cover what you’re looking for as a complementary source.

quote Olliepm:

Hey all!

I’m new to the forum, and to Krav Maga. I’ve been to one class but really enjoyed it, so I intend to train regularly from now on. I just have a few beginner questions if you’ll indulge me…

1) Highly recommended reading/viewing? I’m interested in Krav Maga’s history, as well as it’s technique. Anything considered a must read, or must watch is something I must read/watch!

2) Advice for training at home? I’ll be attending training either one, or two nights a week, however I’d like to buy a punching bag at least. Can anyone recommend some good budget training equipment for developing strikes at home? I know nothing of punching bag hardness, or weight, or whether I should wear gloves etc Viewing/reading pertaining to home workouts would also be greatly appreciated.

3) Lastly, seeing as I’ve never studied any martial art, or fighting style, I’ve never been taught even so much as to throw a punch. Krav Maga, while it seems perfect for me, does tend to skip over this area a litte. I wondered which other fighting arts might be worth learning in conjunction with Krav Maga? I’m small, skinny, and rely on speed, so Wing Chun was something I had considered, for example. I do, however, wish to keep my style strictly realistic, and street, and if I do learn a second fighting system, it would be primarily for learning a few practical, fast, and effective striking techniques.

Thanks a lot 🙂

-Ollie

quote Olliepm:

-Ollie

I think you’re speaking about learning the technical nuances of employing a specific technique, or set of techniques. The information is certainly available, but be wary of trying to take one two sets of instruction at the same time; especially if you have never taken on any. Get your feet wet with Krav for a few months, see where your weaknesses are, and see what you can do to fill in the gaps. Also, committing to a training program is a big commitment, so don’t over-commit yourself or your wallet, lest you get burnt out or disinterested and are footing the bill for double of something you no longer want to do.
    For the beginner, I’d advise a set of Everlast heavy bag gloves with open thumb, a set of hand wraps, and a mouthpiece. A heavy bag on a hanging bag stand if you can afford it, or a bag with a weighted base if you can’t.

At this point you don’t know enough to know what you don’t know.

don

quote Olliepm:

To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed. I thought I might have had a bit more input over two days for such beginner level questions. Over 100 views, and only one reply? Come on!

What Timmy said – “At this point you don’t know enough to know what you don’t know.”

What you really need is someone knowledgeable to show you/walk you through everything in person. It can be very difficult to give written advice to a beginner you’ve never met.

1. Anything and everything. You should be a dry sponge. Problem is that you may have a hard time sorting through everything and figuring out what will work for you vs what won’t work for you.

2. Get a skilled training partner. “good” and “budget” are relative terms – you’ll have to be more specific. No idea what you have available at home facilities-wise. No idea what kind of equipment is available to you locally or online.

3. What are your goals for training? A good KM school Will teach/train “a few practical, fast, and effective striking techniques.” There are a LOT of things out there that you might find interesting or useful. Go to class and see if you think something is lacking, talk to your instructors, check out what other martial arts are being taught around your area.

human

Hi Ollie,
    1. Don’t limit your knowledge of reading or video viewing for Krav Maga knowledge, take it all as much as you can, we’re smart enough to see which can be applied, and which can not. The most important is, in the street, there’s no such thing as a fair fight. Do what you have to do to survive from harmful people.

2. Fortunately I have a brother that shares the same passion in Krav Maga, so we always practice together. When I’m alone, I only train my strength and breathing techniques.

3. Before knowing Krav Maga, I have some Karate basics and Wing Chun, but it’s not important really, if you do have a good Krav Maga Instructor, their knowledge is more than enough.

It’s just my opinion, let’s look another Krav Maga fellow input shall we 🙂

doublestrike

1) Google and YouTube are your friends here. There’s a wealth of searchable information about the Krav Maga, its history and its many different branches and instructors. In addition, there are literally thousands of YouTube videos that show in great detail specific techniques and concepts.

There was a U.S. television show a few years ago called “Fight Quest” where the hosts of the show travel to different countries and immerse themselves into a fighting style / system. They did one for Krav Maga where they travel to Israel and work with the IDF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T610Sc1HONo

2) You can only do so much training by yourself at home without a partner. A simple punching bag is good for you to learn percussion training. Since you’re a beginner, I highly recommend wrapping your hands and/or invest in a decent pair of bag gloves. For myself, the most imporant aspect of my self training has been cardio. Do whatever you can to increase your stamina and endurance so that you don’t gas out in class (i.e. running, jogging, wind sprints, etc.).

3) Less is more in this case. By being a beginner, you don’t want to confuse yourself with conflicting instruction. If you’re serious about learning, I advise you to totally immerse yourself into Krav Maga training from the very start. It’s a combat proven fighting system specifically created to teach people with virtually no fighting experience from the ground up. Afterwards, you can then branch out to other styles to compliment what your fighting style and what you want to study personally.

Best of luck in your training.

maddogmean

One thing I really focused on at home was movement and my fighting stance. It didn’t require a partner.

olliepm

Thanks everyone! My cousin actually gave me an old punching bag to start with, so I’m gonna hang it from a tree, or something. Just need some gloves and I’ll be good to go. Based on some of your replies, I’ve decided not to consider any other martial arts, at least for the time being. At my last class, we ended up practicing punches, so I should have been more patient there.

@TacticalTimmy
    – I’m actually only paying £20 per calendar month for my weekly class, because of a student discount. My instructor is self-employed but he seems to really know his stuff. Wallet is not in trouble yet!

@Don
    – Several of my friends have expressed an interest in joining my class, so I may well have a training partner sometime soon. As for equipment available, I have the internet, which in turn gives me access to most gear. I was really just looking for something to practice punching, or striking slowly, and then speeding up once I have a good motion and technique.

I don’t really have any goals for training – I just enjoy it a lot. I quit smoking a few weeks ago, and have made some pretty big changes in my life. I started Krav for no particular reason, but I see that it has many benefits i.e fitness, self defense, meeting people, trying something new, building confidence etc. There’s also no denying that it’s quite fun to hit things till your arms can’t move…

I don’t see anything lacking in the class so far. We don’t do sparring, but I don’t think I’d be allowed to engage in sparring at my level anyway.

@DoubleStrike
    – I love Fight Quest! Those two guys are such bros 😛 Human Weapon is really good too, and was better for Krav History. To be honest, history relating to Israel in general interests me a lot. Most current media and war mongering propaganda seems to lead back to Israel, if you look hard enough, so it’s all relevant to life…

Percussion training? I actually am a drummer funnily enough, although I’m assuming you meant precision training! But yeah, I’m serious about training in technique at least. I may take your advice and start jogging.

Thanks again all!

doublestrike

No, not precision training (although that’s an important aspect and should be practiced as well – LOL). I really meant “percussion” training, which refers to getting comfortable and proficient in hitting / punching a solid object (i.e. a punching bag). The term percussion refers to how your body reacts + absorbs the forces at the moment of impact onto the punching bag. It teaches you how to position your body to maximize power in addition to proper body mechanics.

Shadow boxing and self visualization training are key components to training as well, but IMHO, nothing can really substitute a punching bag.

Best of luck in your training!

bryan

Ollie, if you have the money for extra classe, you might want to see if you can get occasional private instruciton.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: