Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ari-free

As demonstrated by Boaz Aviram
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmTJ7vG76c4

Where have I seen this before, with the back out and knee bent? It’s almost like this I think
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvJHIyFTII
    But that kick uses the heel of the foot.

ari-free

Re: A Krav Maga front kick

Just noticed how he moved his arm up and around. Again, this looks very familiar to me but I’m not sure why.

ari-free

There’s actually original IDF film footage of this Spartan-like front kick in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0TTvHJ5mY

eli

Not sure what you’re asking here, Ari.
    Would love to help, but…

There are two types of front kicks in krav maga: the defensive (with the heel/flat of the foot making contact) and offensive (with just the ball of the foot). The ofk resembles an agressive MT teep kick more than the pankration kick you referenced.

-Eli

ari-free

quote Eli:

Not sure what you’re asking here, Ari.
    Would love to help, but…

There are two types of front kicks in krav maga: the defensive (with the heel/flat of the foot making contact) and offensive (with just the ball of the foot). The ofk resembles an agressive MT teep kick more than the pankration kick you referenced.

-Eli

A teep leaning that far back? This looks very different.

kmyoshi

I’ve been taught to not lean that far back and to keep your hands up. But according to the poster of the video and his comments, s/he states:

TopExpert10
    Pure Krav Maga – Self Defense Mastery
    If your hands are in his way, he would hit your hands, break your train of thought and get you off balance(since you are standing on one foot. If you are using your torso in a back lean, you are not making yourself a target. As soon as you stand up again, your hands come up in a spring motion.

TopExpert10
    Hands Up or Down During Delivery of Front Kick:
    Overall, think of it. You are close to your opponent and you stand on one leg. Where his possible strike will land is irrelevant. In that close of a distance is he punches you he will hit you. Even if your hands are close for defense, you do not have sufficient time to react and move them an inch or two if he punches you.

Than again, this is a preemptive kick to the groin, not an offensive front kick.

ari-free

It’s too bad I can’t edit my posts. I called it “spartan like” simply because I don’t know how else to classify it.
    Here’s a step to step guide that Aviram wrote
    http://kravmaganewyork.net/Krav%20Maga%20Top%20Expert%20Secrets.pdf

Last week I was able to find several krav maga videos by Darren Levine and Yanilov on youtube. It looked like typical karate and boxing moves until the section on 360 defense. I should have noticed if it looked anything like this though I admit my eye is not sufficiently trained in noticing subtleties.

kmyoshi

Those are two different kicks though, one is a punch-like kick that we call offensive kick to the stomach or chest and the other is an advancing kick to the groin. The offensive kick will cause the attacker to fold over but so will the groin kick. With the groin kick, you can also advance quickly if need be, whereas the offensive kick you may need to take bigger steps (and possibly telegraphing your attack) to get a good base and power to your kick.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote KMyoshi:

I’ve been taught to not lean that far back and to keep your hands up. But according to the poster of the video and his comments, s/he states:

TopExpert10
    If your hands are in his way, he would hit your hands, break your train of thought and get you off balance(since you are standing on one foot. If you are using your torso in a back lean, you are not making yourself a target. As soon as you stand up again, your hands come up in a spring motion.

TopExpert10
    Hands Up or Down During Delivery of Front Kick:
    Overall, think of it. You are close to your opponent and you stand on one leg. Where his possible strike will land is irrelevant. In that close of a distance is he punches you he will hit you. Even if your hands are close for defense, you do not have sufficient time to react and move them an inch or two if he punches you.

well, you could do it that way…. but I wouldn’t. if you drop your hands in my class I’m going to hit you in the head.

kmyoshi

quote CJs Dad:

well, you could do it that way…. but I wouldn’t. if you drop your hands in my class I’m going to hit you in the head.

Which is why I keep my hands up :box::D:

By the way, what classes do you teach at SO and what days? I would like to start training with you.

don

quote KMyoshi:

By the way, what classes do you teach at SO and what days? I would like to start training with you.

In that case, I recommend getting one of these:

Make sure your model is flying monkey kick rated…

:box: :D:

kevinmack

Just to clarify:
    There are two front kicks in Krav Maga. The offensive front kick and the defensive front kick. The names describe their purpose.

OFFENSIVE FRONT KICK: This is a kick that is meant to attack and cause pain to your opponent. It is also a kick used to close the distance between you and your opponent.It is a snapping style kick aimed at either the groin,knee,midsection or chin.It is your basic front groin kick that most of you learn in yellow belt.

DEFENSIVE FRONT KICK:While it may cause pain its use is designed to create space between you and your opponent.It is the same as the offensive front kick up to the knee. Instead of snapping out it pushes the foot forward..like a teep or push kick.The original KM style had you making contact with the entire bottom of your foot or your heel(remember in the IDF they wore boots). But due to the influence of Muay Thai you will see many KM instructors teaching you to push off with the ball of your foot like a teep.It is meant to be thrown to the midsection(center of gravity). You can attack the knee and face with this kick but that would not be a “defensive kick” despite the mechanics as it does not have the desired effect of driving your opponent backwards or towards the ground in such a way that the space you need would be created.

Remember though..you have to use the proper kick for its rightful use.Thats why our techniques are named the way they are.
    Offensive kick…defensive kick…reflexive defensive…instinctive defense…inside defense…outside defense..etc..etc..etc.

kevinmack

While I would not use it an an advancing manner as Boaz does..I do teach a similar kick but it looks more like the way Eli Avikzar is performing it in the IDF footage.
    It is described as “offensive front kick from a natural standing position”. Meaning that you are not in an outlet stance but rather your hands are down and your feet are in a neutral/natural standing position. In order to generate power your foot leads the motion with your head leaning back in a seesaw motion. This creates the extension and power needed.
    We dont always have the luxury of being prepared in a fighting stance so all KM students need to train how to throw their first strikes from a natural standing position whether it is a punch or a kick.
    Preemptive striking as well.

ari-free

quote KevinMack:

Just to cla
    Remember though..you have to use the proper kick for its rightful use.Thats why our techniques are named the way they are.
    Offensive kick…defensive kick…reflexive defensive…instinctive defense…inside defense…outside defense..etc..etc..etc.

Boaz follows his kick with a strike to the back of the neck. Maybe the 2 moves were meant to work together?
    What about that other strike depicted in the pdf? That’s an interesting angle there.

ari-free

quote CJs Dad:

Looking again at the kick/strike sequence in the pdf, he doesn’t drop his arm. He just has his back and arm out while kicking but then his arms are up for the next move.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: