Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books a punch in its most basic parts

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    magronbass

I’m studying my own jab crosses to understand what’s happening, frame by frame. I did some dancing, so studying video is just something I routinely do.

Here’s what I see. For either of the punches there are 4 parts.
    1. step in
    2. waist rotation
    3. shoulder / upper torso rotation
    4. arm extension

It seems like that’s also the order they should occur, with perhaps 2 and 3 happening at the same time or very close to each other.

The interesting thing is, with my obviously rough form, 2 and 3 are switched. Actually even worse, if I’m rushing too much to go from jab to a cross, I go 4, 3, 2. Completely the opposite. Going from the general idea of “the punch comes from the ground”, this is totally the opposite.

But it’s also really hard to be rotating my hips at the rate of a combo.. so realistically, in a combo, is every punch supposed to be as perfect as they’re supposed to be in a one shot situation? Or is the technique changed so the combo flows more fluidly? Because I think if a combo were say, 3 distinct perfect punches, its’ really not a combo..

I understand this is extreme nit picking.. just wondering if there was some sort of theory behind this, as it’s a very basic question that I’m sure has been asked throughout the history of hand to hand combat.

carpecanis

Re: a punch in its most basic parts

You kind of want to do all the steps simultaneously. A punch starts with moving your fist but the arm extension, shoulder and hip rotations all follow along at the same time.

As for the combination question: Instead of jabbing, recoiling back to your fighting stance, and then throwing a cross you should begin the cross at the same time as you begin your recoil.

kevinmack

In order to not be telegraphic the hand should always lead the movement. Whether its a punch of gun defense…the hand leads the body. So stepping should not be number 1.

sicpuppy

Hmmm… Now I will have to video myself and examine it to find out what I am doing vs what I think I am doing… Thanx for that!!!! lol
    :box:

donjon
    Blocked

good to know that nice informative post

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: