Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics A Question About Black Belts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jfox

To anyone who knows: Do you have to be invited to test for black belt? How about any other ranks? If so, who does the inviting (Instructor or NTC)? And do the levels (1-5) striclty correspond to the ranks (Belt Color)? Some of this information is hard to come by for the new-comers, so thanks for any help.

la-revancha

Didn’t you ask Sr. Whitman? This probably echoes what he told you.

For black belt, you have to be invited to the exam (no gaurantees 😈 😈 ). You have a lot of work ahead of you before this moment comes, if you just started, no matter your previous training experience.

Promotion of any other rank is mostly based on the discretion and skill level of your instructors.

LI-LV and belt correllation is available on the homepage:
    https://kravmaga.com/laselfdefense.asp

jfox

no, i didn’t discuss this with Sr Whitman, but thank you for the information. As I understand it, it would probably be years before I reached that level anyhow, but its still nice to know in advance. Thanks

bradm

Related question. I was wondering if when a person finally achieves a Black Belt in Krav, is he/she considered to be a certified instructor? Or would they still have to complete the instructor phase training courses? Just wondering because being a Krav Black Belt doesn’t necessarily mean he/she possesses the skills to teach.

anonymous

JFOX,

If you have interest in getting into the higher levels of KM, just make sure you will be able to learn those at your school. Sounded from your description on the other thread that they may only be teaching LV1 or so.

The Black Belt test will have tons of weapons defenses, even one weapon against another, multiple opponents with weapons etc. Even for green belt, you may need to know some gun and knife defenses.

So, if you are interested in achieving those belts, maybe ask your school if they are teaching them now or have any intention of teaching them in the future. If not, you could consider joining another school after you have gotten good at your LV1 stuff and are looking for another challenge.

brentw

For BradM,
    In short no for exactly the reason you have stated. In order to be an instructor one would need to go through the instructor program. You can be a very competent black belt but have no teaching ability. On the flip side, you can be a very competent teacher but not have the skill to be a black belt. We even have people who are black belts but are new to teaching and can only teach up to the level that they have been certified for as an instructor. We are very big on quality control.

jfox

Giantkiller,
    I found that the school I attend does not teach past level 2. I am not sure of the reason, maybe its from a lack of interest past that level in this area, not sure… That explains the not testing. But I also found that just a little further down the road, there are other Krav schools that go the entire curriculum. So I plan to continue b/c I really enjoy it. Thanks for the help.

bradm

BrentW,
    Thanks.That’s a reply I was hoping to hear. Keeping in mind that integrity and quality are two of the things that impressed me about Krav Maga.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: