Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    zumber

Hey guys I wanted to ask some advice. I always thought I was quite fit. However I’m aching all over after the two hour trial lesson I had last Thursday.
    Now there’s only one two hour lesson available to me every week.
    So in the time I’m not going to the lessons I’m wanting to get into shape.
    I’ve been looking at various options, I hate the average gym because it’s a case of there’s the equipment give your money and get on with it. IE there’s no motivation or at least none compared with the instructor pushing you.
    So I was looking at a personal trainer which would be great, but very expensive.

So I found this not far from where I live.
    http://newcastlefitnessclub.com/
    Do you lads think that would be a suitable type of workout to get me in shape for Krav Maga?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

bear34

Re: Aching all over.

quote Zumber:

Hey guys I wanted to ask some advice. I always thought I was quite fit. However I’m aching all over after the two hour trial lesson I had last Thursday.
    I’ve been looking at various options, I hate the average gym because it’s a case of there’s the equipment give your money and get on with it. IE there’s no motivation or at least none compared with the instructor pushing you.
    So I was looking at a personal trainer which would be great, but very expensive.

Do you lads think that would be a suitable type of workout to get me in shape for Krav Maga?

Most of my friends swear by kettlebell training and it is recommended by many top ranking KM instructors. I personally am a fan of Ultimate Sandbag training. Small investment and exercises can be done in your home for free. I feel that my power, flexibility and especially balance have improved dramatically. I can’t comment on the fitness club(I hate them all.)

celtickm

For me the recovery got much easier after the 2nd and 3rd class but i also started taking a protein shake after my classes which i think was the main thing that made it less painful for me the days after. I think you can avoid the gym and stick just to Krav if you really wanted to and then up it to 2 classes a week eventually. Only my 2 cents.

zumber

Well there’s only a single two hour lesson a week here in Newcastle.
    I’ll probably go on to train an home to supplement training elsewhere then gradually reduce the training at a gym. But I need to make sure I’m doing the right exercises. I’m not wanting a hernia to prevent me going to any classes.
    I’m also wanting to be sure I’m doing the right training to build muscle mass and having the correct diet etc.

If that’s really what you’re looking at, I’d say try to find a local Crossfit affiliate. Programming is random and Crossfit is controversial in many strength and conditioning worlds, but check out the Crossfit games website and tell me that Crossfit does not produce some capable athletes. It will get you to a very high level of general physical preparedness, but won’t make you a master at any one thing. You MUST MUST MUST get a Crossfit coach, or certified strength and conditioning coach to teach you/watch you perform olympic lifts, otherwise you run the risk of hurting yourself. Also, don’t expect to be able to complete a Crossfit workout to the prescribed standard for quite some time, you’ll have to scale it down to your capability. This is not an ego thing, most Crossfitters will bluntly tell you that you’re an idiot if you refuse to scale down. There’s a difference between pushing yourself for progress and not being able to admit that you can’t do it.

hicklinc

i personally have tried crossfit not my kinda thing though i would rather supplement my krav training with another style of martial arts than lift weights but thats just me

djtree

quote Zumber:

What kind of conditioning/cardio/calisthenics workout was involved in the class you took? You should probably tailor your workout towards what is expected and demanded of your body in training for participation and improving.

zumber

Not a great deal to be honest. That is no fault of the class and trainer in the two hours I had. There was a warm up and a cool down during the class. That however isn’t enough.

I used to be a postman lifting heavy bags of mail 5 or 6 miles a day. That ended years ago and now I sit infront a computer screen for a living. I’m lucky that I don’t put on weight easily, so I put that down to being fit. How wrong I was. So as the class is only two hours a week I want an program that will get me into shape for the Krav class.

celtickm

I was recommended Convict Conditioning by a lead Kettlebell instructor here in the UK and I love it just as much as going to Krav now. Best thing I was ever advised to do. You may like it too and it saves u having to go to the gym. Patience is required for results though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Convict-Conditioning-Weakness-Survival-Strength/dp/0938045768

zumber

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Celtic.
    I’ve signed up to this class and it’s so inexpensive.
    http://www.newcastlekettlebellliftingclub.com/

celtickm

I think that will be really good as Kettlebells are recommened for Krav. I felt I was too weak to begin doing them but when my convict conditioing improves my strength I may make a start going to some classes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: