Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bearhammer

My cardio is severely lacking and I hate running. How important is added running? I get shin splints, I have a bad knee, and I just really don’t enjoy it. I have never had “runners high”; more like runners hate.

I do however, use supplemental workout vids to improve my conditioning. I did P90x March -April to get me back in shape for KM. Now that I’m back in class, I try to do some of the Insanity cardio workouts a couple times a week. I am much less bored with these than I would be just getting on the treadmill or something.

In another thread I noticed Unstpabl1 mentioned how aerobic activity allows for more blood flow. Is this more easily attained by running?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: additional cardio

H BearH

The Insanity WO are just that, insane!

Have you thought about jumping rope? I have bad knees too and am not a fan of running but I don’t have any problems with jumping rope. I use a heavy rope and a tabata timer.

Weighted Speed Heavy Rope (Theres other cool work out stuff on this site)

Online Tabata Timer

Hope this helps

unstpabl1

You can use krav as LSD Long Slow Distance training…you need to buy a heart rate monitor and keep your HR in a steady range for the alloted time. I “THINK” Let me repeat that THINK it’s between 115 and 140ish and changes with age.

I am not a expert so I’ll give some leads to follow. I have been totally frustrated by my lake of conditioning progress (cardio) after training 4-6 days a week for 7 months. So I went looking for answers and am exploring that now. There will be some who will total disagree with me on this

So far it looks like the science says that we peak out after doing Tabata type work in 3 weeks or so. What that leads back to is cycling workouts or periodization

There is a great discussion on this on the Total Protection Interactive forum in the regular Joe’s gym section under the title Comparrison Of Steady State & Interval Training. there are other discussions in there on LSD training as well as how to add stregth training while doing skill training like krav.

TPI is one of my favorite sites but they are a tight group. I have a lot of respect for them and usually soak it all up silently

I’ll try to find a vid for you that explains what aerobic and anerobic training does and why both are important for MMA. It was so well explained even an idiot like me understood it

Hope it helps

unstpabl1

Aerobic/Cardio training for MMA. explaination of LSD training and HIIT that even I could understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b9nytD8ifM

Enjoy

bearhammer

Thanks for the input guys. This is definitely uncharted territory for me and very interesting. Lol, I hadn’t heard of tabata or LSD training before now.

The vid helped me understand what you meant in the other thread. The education continues!

unstpabl1

trust me I just learned a lot of this recently

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: