Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    miker

I am a below the knee amputee and I am planning on taking a intro class tomorrow. I am just looking for some input or suggestions that may be helpful. I am pretty active. I mountain bike and lift at the gym at least 4 days a week. I know I may have to approach some of the training differently but I’m willing to do what ever I need to.
    Thanks for your input!

smokelaw1

Re: Advice for a amputee

Two peices of advice (I was good friends with a double BTK amputee who was a wrestler).

1) Make sure the instructor knows that you are there to train hard (as I imainge you are) but also, educate him as much as you can on the physical issues…what type of prosthesis, where it is weakest, strongest, and what you can and can’t do with it, that you know of.

2) As you get into it, and start training harder and new techniques, take it a little slower than you want to. Listen to your body (same advice I’d give anybody really), and stop when “ouch” becomes “that might be injuring me.” Becuase iothers might not know why a particular move or technique might be causing you pain or injury, when it is no big deal for others (I’m thinking kicks), you’ll need to be especially cognizant.

Enjoy, welcome, and be suire to let us know how it goes!!

miker

Thanks for the advice. I don’t really have a problem with low impact stuff at all, I can handle some high impact on my leg but not for real long. I really am looking forward to the class. I’ll let ya know how it goes!

ryan

Mike, where will you be training? Good luck and enjoy the class!

miker

Hi Ryan, I am planning on training at your center in Gastonia!

paul

that is a great group of students out there, almost as good as the FTF location but not quite. 🙂

miker

I had a great class! Everything went really well, I cant wait to so back.

ryan

Glad to hear, Mike. Take care!

roborn313

Mike. I am an AKA right as well. I have started my classes. Do you by chance have a C-Leg? If you do I want to share some things with you maybe we can bring others to the way of this awesome sport.

guitarded-1

quote roborn313:

Mike. I am an AKA right as well. I have started my classes. Do you by chance have a C-Leg? If you do I want to share some things with you maybe we can bring others to the way of this awesome sport.

You’re not referring to Krav Maga as a sport, are you? :OhMy:

roborn313

:woohoo:yes I am. Refer to number 2 below.

sport [ spawrt ]

1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally
    2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise
    3. somebody cheerful: somebody who remains cheerful when losing or in an unpleasant situation
    roborn313

See number 2 sir.

sport [ spawrt ]

1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and sometimes engaged in professionally
    2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise
    3. somebody cheerful: somebody who remains cheerful when losing or in an unpleasant situation
    mara-jade

Welcome to the forum:wav:

I don’t consider KM a sport (seeing competitive there) as we have no competitions as in other disciplines. The only one I’m ‘competing’ with is myself.

As for rules, KM there ARE no rules but there are techniques.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: