Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Agressive training partners …

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gemel

This morning I could barley swallow and people commented that my voice was deeper. Of course .. last night this fellow kept picking at my throat when doing a simple no contact exercise. I asked him a few time it is the chest you have to touch (not even hit). I noticed that this guy used more contact then needed in the last few lessons when I was training with him. I suspect that he uses excessive force only with me and not with all members of the club. We are not kids I am over 30 and he is in the same age group. I plan to approach him before the next lesson starts and tell him to be more resonable, in his agressivness. or will it make things worse ? I am in a bit of worse problem as I train in a non english speaking country and I do not speak the language very well .. I also happen to be guy who does not speak to anyone before or after the lesson (I am an ok guy really! but if I speak like a 2 year old in their language I do not feel very comfortable having a conversation) Of course the other solution is to hit him twice as hard .. but for now it has not come to that yet .. for now ..

kmman

Re: Agressive training partners …

Last night I took a good shot to the ribs but that happens. It was more my fault than my partner’s and it wasnt happening over and over again. You’ll get hit sometimes theres no other way.

There was another time where I was training with a woman. She was a class favorite and she had a ton of passion…quite frankly very good and she literally trained to protect herself like we all should. One day she kept executing full force groin kicks on me. Cup or no cup that hurts like hell. Everyone thought it was cute but the kicks were full force and painful. Truthfully, I wanted to knock her out but I just sucked it up.

On another occasion some partner, a man this time, never wanted to let go of the choke hold. Now at a certain point the attacker has to let go if you execute the technique so its realistic. He refused to do so. My strikes got more and more “realistic” in response until I had no choice but to body slam him hard.

Its case by case. Instructors need to be watching for this.

bradm

I’m well aware of those “aggressive” Partners. A few years ago while I was still training KM, we had a brute in the class that liked to “play rough”. I got injured twice while partnering with him. Onec we were doing a ground exercise where one guy was on all fours and the partner would try to roll him over. When he had a hard time rolling me over he grabbed my shoulders and threw me backwards. My feet were caught below my backside and as he threw me over, my foot got stuck and ended up breaking my ankle. Missed a few weeks training because of that. On another occasion during we were dong an exercise one (defende) to roll the guy into an armbar. My turn, this resisted with excessive force causing me to land on my shoulder. I ended up with a type-2 AC seperation – still have it.

I got him one day though. He was always pretty aggressive when sparring too. He had a habit of lowering his hands after throwing a punch or a kick. I picked up on it and clocked him a couple good ones. Made me foo good and the instructor just smiled and nodded as if to say – good he deserved. I’m not the only one who had trouble with this guy, everyone did. The instructor talked with him several times but it didn’t help much. One day he never showed up for class again.

I have no use for this type of person in a class. Make it realistic for sure, but don’t go to extreme to the point of hurting your partner.

stevetuna

On day 1 of my Phase A training week, an ultra-aggressive training partner elbowed me in the head hard enough to raise a pretty good knot (elbow #1 from a 6-3, 250 lb. musclehead). It pissed me off quite a bit, as he was some sort of hotshot martial artist who paraded around with his black belt and some yard sale samuari sword before stepping on the mats each session. Oh well – just a little Krav love, as we say.

Do I even have to tell you that at some point later that week I lost my control just once and he got his balls good and kicked? Oops, my bad! (Ryan H. – do you remember that?)

Yeah, it’s not right, but the guy had been talked to several times by several different instructors. And no, he did not pass…

As an instructor, I’ll take someone aside and talk to them if they’re being over-aggressive. If they still don’t get it, then I’ll partner with them. It needs to be addressed because the stuff we’re doing can hurt someone pretty quick.

tzrider

quote KMMAN:

On another occasion some partner, a man this time, never wanted to let go of the choke hold.

I had a variation on this a few months ago with a kid who didn’t appreciate the difference between providing resistance and actually cranking the choke down. We were doing a stress drill and whenever it was his turn to choke, he would apply a bar arm from behind and rip it into my windpipe. Once may be an accident, beyond that, he’s having an inappropriate contest. I did the escape, took him to the floor in a wrist lock and whispered, “Cool your jets.” He did.

I have no problem with someone providing resistance, as that’s how we find out what it really takes to make this stuff work. Trying to hurt each other is another matter.

jjbklb

Once can be a mistake,maybe twice.But if someone continues to show a lack of self-control,he/she is a poor partner.I’d let him/her know that they need to tone it down in regular class sessions.

If it keeps up,I’d let the instructor know that I won’t partner with that person.

You’re not doing yourself any favors by putting up with that.When you get injured,you have to miss class,stop exercising,& loss overall conditioning.

I haven’t had a problem with this in KM yet, but in MCMAP every now and then a cocky Marine would be overly aggressive either the whole time, or when the instructor was looking. Once or twice is training, after that in my book its intentional. I gave a verbal warning, followed by a taste of his own medicine, and then I gave a loud verbal warning. Only once did I have to give a loud verbal warning, the overwhelming physical response I gave after the verbal warning was pretty good. I have no time or patience for a partner who wants to hurt instead of train.

carpecanis

I’ve only encountered one guy who was way too agressive. We were both about the same size and I was a bit faster than him so I could usually counter his action and come out ok. However, the guy also got some extra sick thrill from really going after the women in the class. I missed it but one of my friend told me that he finally went too far in one class and the instructor then used him as a punching bag while demostrating the techniques for the rest of the class. After class the class wrapped up he was kicked out of the school.

That guy was a top-flight a-hole but luckily they seem to be pretty rare in KM. More often than not I think that people just have a control issue. Either they hopped up on endorphans and a little too excited or they get flustered/scared during sparing and instictually strike out at full strength. If it becomes a problem, stop what you’re doing and tell the guy. Most of the time that will do the trick. If it persists talk to the instructors… most of the time they’ll be aware of what’s going on too. Tempting though it is, I’d resist the urge to retaliate… you don’t want the instructors thinking that you’re the overly agressive one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: