Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Okay, I don’t normally do this, but I was quite proud of these guys. These are three guys that train at our school, competing in amateur MMA.

1st fight is an 18 year old (his second fight) vs. a 41 year old (who wrestled at Iowa)

Both of our other guys are fighting for the first time.

They all won in pretty quick fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdI0XHbtWqU

Re: Amateur MMA

Questions…
    1- How amateur is amateur? Those guys looked pretty comfortable in there. I’ve seen guys on TUF that didn’t show up looking that ready to play.

2- What are the rules in that amateur league? I’ve always wanted to play around with MMA but I don’t have it in me to get that brutal for “sport.”

la-revancha

Congrats to your guys, RHEK!!! Wish I could have been there.

I’ve seen that ref before…

mara-jade

quote Ryan:

Okay, I don’t normally do this, but I was quite proud of these guys. These are three guys that train at our school, competing in amateur MMA.

1st fight is an 18 year old (his second fight) vs. a 41 year old (who wrestled at Iowa)

Both of our other guys are fighting for the first time.

They all won in pretty quick fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdI0XHbtWqU

Congrats to them – great jobthumbsup

blindfold

I thought they did a great job. I had to rewatch the 3rd fight. I didn’t see the jab at the end. I thought the other fighter had just lost his footing.

Occasionally in class they have a ring of people and each person picks a partner and you have 2 minutes in the ring. It almost always goes to the ground right away. Plus we have a huge floor.

A great job by all of them.

ryan

Well, the first fighter was in there for his second time, though he wrestled in high school and has been with us for a couple of years. The second fighter was fighting for the first time, but he wrestled at Michigan State. The last guy was fighting for his first time, but he’s been with us for a few years. I don’t really know the experience levels of their opponents.

The rules are basically UFC rules, minus knees and elbows.

Thanks for the comments, all.

stevetuna

Damn!!! Great stuff!

The last two fighters from Ryan’s place, Lamoroux and Jennings, really let their hands go. That was a great show. Thanks for posting that, Ryan. Each of those fights (all first-round KO’s) had more action than my last five boxing matches!

Great stuff, Ryan.

andre

“I thought they did a great job. I had to rewatch the 3rd fight. I didn’t see the jab at the end. I thought the other fighter had just lost his footing.”

It was so quick that his opponent didn’t see it either. I just wanted to pay testament to these guys. They worked countless hours during what free time they had, including weekends, so their ring transition would be seemless.

lotar

Well done the guys, nice fights ,

Craig.

mike-p

Amazing!!

All of your fighters looked like they were in unbelievable condition. What did their training regimen entail?

I’m really impressed. For 2nd and 1st fights those guys looked like they were very prepared, conditioned, and comfortable.

ryan

I appreciate all of the nice comments. All of our guys work very hard (and all have “real” lives, this is just something they enjoy doing.) We’re not really a fight gym, though we have very good instructors and dedicated students, so the time they all put in really shows. I can’t say enough about them.

vwr32

quote Ryan:

We’re not really a fight gym, though we have very good instructors and dedicated students, so the time they all put in really shows.

That’s a nice ring for not being a fight gym. Out of curiosity, were any of those students krav?

In your first post, you said you don’t normally do this (assuming posting vids of students’ fights). Would be nice to see more vids of this nature from all the schools that host such events, especially those with a foundation in krav. I know krav isn’t a ring sport, but some students who participate in something like that (where padding is present) might enjoy the opportunity to put a few of their skills to use in a controlled environment.

Win or lose, I imagine the real test for the fighters is climbing into the ring in the first place. Congrats to everyone in the vid.

andre

quote Mike P:

Amazing!!

All of your fighters looked like they were in unbelievable condition. What did their training regimen entail?

As stated previously, they all have day jobs, so all the training was done in the evenings. On the weekend they usually did two-a-days. On some occasions they did more. A big part is conditioning drills and sparring(mostly light sparring, but its was important they banged 85-90% contact every week). Maybe the two biggest understated parts to their victory were the quality of the training location(both staff and owner included), and a high caliber coach. So there is no misunderstanding, I am not their coach, just a training partner.

ryan

That wasn’t our cage or our location.

One of the guys did some KM early on, but they all crosstrain in MMA, boxing, wrestling, and BJJ.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: