Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge An incident in Australia two years ago

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jesse

Does anyone in Australia remember an incident about two years ago involving some of these details? If so, can you give me any feedback?

1. Former SAS commando retires, marries and takes Krav Maga for four years.

2. He is walking home from work when someone attempts to mug him. They shoot him in the back. On the way through his backpack the round is deflected somewhat and hits him in the shoulder. He goes down and the assailant goes after his backpack to run off with it. He grapples with the assailant and ends up attempting to choke him. During the attempt he accidently breaks the guy’s neck and kills him.

3. He ends up being jailed for a year and a half.

Just curious.

Jesse

fiend

Re: An incident in Australia two years ago

Seriously?? Sometimes I wonder if we’re even allowed to defend ourselves *at all* legally these days….

russell

i cant be! austriaila banned fireams years ago and we all know that if criminals have no guns they wont commit crime! and we all can live in a land of rainbows and hold hands sing kum bye ah and eat fat free cupcakes that taste like real cupcakes!

with the backward thinking of some countries it would not suprise me if that happened!

fiend

Yeah, I mean, you hear about similar lawsuits and backwards cases where attackers hurt themselves and sue their victims seemingly all the time!

A high schooler near me was recently put into jail for life for accidentally killing a guy. Basically, the guy who was killed was beating up a buddy of the guy who killed him. He had him on the ground and was continuing to kick him when he was down. The guy who killed him had a bat, and saw an opportunity, came in and swang. Saved his friend, but the guy he hit would later die in the hospital. Sad story… I’d have probably done the same.

bracius

For life! Jebus! Accidental Homicide…..well…I guess you could argue intent. Still….Geeeez.

Jury of your peers or a bench ruling, no telling what is closet to justice when they are both as perverted as they are now.

jesse

I was hoping that someone in Australia would remember the original incident.

cannonfodder

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I live in Oz. This is the sort of thing that the media would beat their drums about and I generally keep a ear out for this type of thing. I don’t recall hearing anything about this incident.

There are provisions within Australian Law for use of force in self-defence situations.

There is also a lot of latitude the Police have, to determine whether a case goes to trial. I remember one very well publicized case of a elderley homeowner shooting and killing a home invader. The Queensland Police Prosecutors decided (rightfully so IMO) it was not appropriate to press charges.

In the situation above, if it actually happened and the poor chap did go to Jail – theres a good chance it was more complicated than “a mugging gone wrong”. Otherwise I just don’t see it being “pushed” by the Prosecutors, nor surviving long in Court with a half-decent defence.

That being said…wierder things have happened.

andy-m

G’day All,

I am an Australian Krav Maga instructor and Army officer. I would echo Cannonfodder’s comments about this being the sort of thing that the media would be all over, and like CF I have not heard about this incident. Similarly, I concur with his observations about LE in Australia.

As for some of the earlier comments, it is not true that firearms are banned in Australia. Certain types certainly are, and permits are required for others. The significant majority of Australians support gun control, although there would be certainly others that are not that way inclined. In any case, the incidence of gun-related crime in Australia is exceptionally low and it is one of the safest countries in the world.

Oh, and Russell, contrary to your “backward looking” aspersion, you will find that Australia is one of the most sophisticated and forward-looking countries in the world…. you should visit sometime, you might get a surprise…..

jesse

I appreciate the feedback. I’m not saying the incident happened. I’m just trying to find out if anyone remembers anything about anything like this.

russell

quote Andy_M:

Oh, and Russell, contrary to your “backward looking” aspersion, you will find that Australia is one of the most sophisticated and forward-looking countries in the world…. you should visit sometime, you might get a surprise…..

no it’s not a slam on austrialia..(it happens here too!) its a slam on politicans who think that just cause thay say a few words or write a new law that people will change! personally i would love to go “down under” for a vacation, i love cockatoo’s and would love to take a walk in a park and see flocks of gallah’s overhead, or dive on the barrier reef…but my chosen field of work(printing) wont pay me enough to take vacation here in the states let alone fly half way around the world!

please don’t take my rantings as a personal slam against any country or it’s people!

it’s a comment on how politicans are morons!!!!!

andy-m

G’day Russell,

Fair enough mate! I hear you on the subject of politicians too. I have been here in th USA for the last eighteen months and see every day how politicians here are so very alike (although our electoral process is a little different 🙂 )

I really hope you do get the chance to head down to Oz one day mate. I reckon you will love it, and I am sure you will find Aussies every bit as welcoming and hospitable as Americans have been to me.

Cheers,

Andy

ffdo1234

SAS never breaks a neck on accident…… None the less, justified……

kirsten

quote ffdo1234:

sas Never Breaks A Neck On Accident…… None The Less, Justified……

Lol

thecrownsown

quote FFDO1234:

SAS never breaks a neck on accident…… None the less, justified……

I think taking a life is a bit more complicated than that….but reasonable force for the situation is the “law of the land” here. Excessive force will land you in a heap of trouble pretty quick. The neck is a fairly tough part of the body….and to break it takes a lot of force. Without knowing the specifics of a situation, it’s hard to pass judgement on whats reasonable or not. Also, laws change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. What may be kosher in Texas, may not be in Ontario. What may be unreasonable in Queensland, may be justified in British Columbia…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: