Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics another compfused video

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    kurtuan

I did a search for \”Brachial Stun\” and I found an interesting link with an illustration. This looks like it is from some sort of military training manual illustrating various sentry removal techniques (it is the first set of illustrations). The illustration shows the brachial stun being performed to the side of the neck using a knife butt or hammer fist. Here’s the link

http://www.wanderworks.com/chilichokers/combatives_chapter_7.htm
    [/url]

clfmak

That seemed kind of odd- striking the neck with the knife butt, then going for the kill. Seems more practical to just switch the grip and bury the blade in instead. Kind of seems like they’re adding stun moves and such to make it seem more skilled. I liked the one where you take the guy’s helmet off, then smask his head with it.

kurtuan

CLFMak, I thought the same thing with regards to the knife butt. However, I was mostly just citing it as an illustration of where the brachial stun should be applied. According to this illustration it is to the side of the neck…

dalamar

Just below the ear and slightly back there is a sack of nerves. Similar to striking the vagus.

My guess for the illustration showing to brachial stun then stab is to prevent the sentry from crying out. Have you ever tried to stab someone? It’s not that easy. It requires accuracy and there’s a lot of bone to try and get through. The stab would mostly like not be a clean execution which would let the sentry cry out or even possibly fight back. Stun ’em first.

jerry68

Dalamar nailed it… Sentry removal is tricky business, and the idea is to stun him so he will not cry out.

anonymous

So if you hit him he would not be able to cry out, but if you stabbed him in the exact same area (instead of hitting) he would still be able to shout or make some type of noise that might alert his comrades? Why is that so? It would seem that a stab would be worse than just a hit. Can anyone explain?

Dalamar, is the spot you described, below the ear, the brachial nerve or is that still another vulnerable spot? On the illustrations it looked like the brachial nerve was more towards the front of the neck.

jerry68

Giantkiller, while a knife wound may be fatal, it does not cause an immediate brunt force trauma like a brachial stun. The true danger of being in a knife fight is that most of the time you don’t know you are in a knife fight, until you see your own blood or worse. If I had to introduce someone to Mr Emerson, I am not going to let them see my knife until the cutting starts. That is why you should always practice your 360deg defenses like your opponent has a knife.

clfmak

If you’ve ever seen Cold Steel’s videos Proof and More Proof, or video 1 of the Warrior’s edge series, you kind of get an idea of how much damage a really good knife can do, and the kind of punishment it can take. With a well made knife, you could deliver a solid rear arm ice pick stab to the back of the neck with much more ease, and I’m no expert or anything but I’m pretty sure they couldn’t cry out after that.

Jerry and Dalamar- have you ever stabbed someone? And, if so, in a sentry removal fashion?

jerry68

I won’t argue the finer points of sentry removal, but suffice to say that you should probably learn and add the brachial stun to you toolbox.

kurtuan

Jerry68, exactly how precise do you have to be to execute a brachial stun? In another post you said that police are trained to use the forearm rather than a knife hand (which is more likely to be fatal). This leads me to believe that in order to merely disable your opponent as shown in this video you don’t need surgical precision, am I right in that assumption?

starall

Brachial Stuns can be done to the side of the neck from the front or from behind the person. For LE it is done with the forearm from the front. The knife hand would be considered too dangerous because of the chance of messing up the vertebra in the neck. LE would use it, from the rear, if the subject was down on his knees fighting with someone else. Another good one is a scapular stun from the rear. That is also a shot from behind where a double downward strike to the shoulder/neck area is done with closed fists. Obviously these strikes may or may not disrupt a person. They are stun techniques used to take a persons mind set from \”I will kick your ass!\” to \”what the hell just hit me!\”

bradm

You can also use the insided or your wrist at the palm of the hand. A ridge hand strike can also be used.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: