Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Any classes for older women?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    alyzza

Hi all. I signed up for a year of km, but soon found out I could not keep up with the bootcamp part of the class without ‘killing myself.’ But I make up for my inability to keep up with the younger people by being very quick and responsive to the techniques. I could punch all day and loved sparring. I can take down my husband who is a lot bigger than me.

I felt like a total loser and failure by dropping out. I stayed hidden in shame for a month and healed from an injury. I doubt if I could face my teacher again.

Are there classes for older or physically weaker people who are not in UFC shape, so that they can still learn techniques and have half a chance at self defense? I’m not disabled by any means, but could not keep doing 80 repetitions or even jump rope anymore. My bones are not those of a younger woman and I have to watch it. I could not drag a guy across the floor. I loved the techniques part though. Do I have a chance at ever learning and practicing this art? In a real situation I would hope to disable quickly and run like hell.

mara-jade

Re: Any classes for older women?

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve never heard of specialized classes for older folks BUT you may wanna consider first taking any fitness classes they offer. My hubby and I have had to do this when we came back from injuries and such. You sound like you need to work on your endurance first. I can only speak of my center but ours like K.O. and Cardio do incorporate Krav moves so it wouldn’t be like you’re NOT training. We have a few distinguished ‘older folks’ at my center who can definitely kick my buttthumbsup

Just food for thought and I wish you the best in your training.:wav:

jay99

I would also suggest approaching your instructor with your concerns. I am willing to bet they will be very understanding. One thing that is very easy to forget in a class full of people is that you are not competing against anyone else. You are there to push yourself and learn. Everybody has strengths and everybody has areas they need to improve on. Try not to worry about the conditioning of those around you and train at a pace you can handle. I am not saying go to a class and pick and choose what you want to do and ignore what you don’t want because that is just rude. But if the best you have is 3 push-ups and everyone else did 30… than I say give me the best 3 you got and tomorrow we will work on getting 4 done. Give it YOUR all each class and no one will fault you.

KM is not here for only those who are in “UFC shape.” It is here for anyone who has an interest in learning how to protect them self. If that is your goal than you should be welcome in any class. thumbsup

drlvegas

We have one 64 year old man, and a husband and wife that are probably in their late fifties that train with us regularly. They train as hard as they are able to, and everyone in the class respects their limitations & potential for injury.

I think if you’ll look around the class(including the teacher), you will see a bunch of people that are impressed as hell that you’re doing what you’re doing.

mara-jade

Alyzza,

I know alot of us can give ya stories of how we started. Hubby and I were NOT athletes at all and with the help of KM and the great instructors we have, we lost 50 pounds between the two of us. We have a ways to go (life things got in the way), but I can say I’M NOT in UFC shape at all. I”m just happy as hell I’m still doing it. thumbsup

Don’t feel bad and you have NOTHING to be ashamed about. I second the suggestion to talk to your instructors. You may have to slow down until your body gets used to it. What Jay said is true – you DON”T have to be superwoman to do this. I do push ups on my knees but dangit I give the best pushups I can.:D:

You’ve seen you might get frustrated at times but with time and practice it WILL get better – really:wav:

kmky

I think the key is to always do your best. I was in horrible shape when I started, near 300lbs, I couldn’t make it through warm-ups but I did the best I could. Like Jay said, if you can only do 3 push-ups then do 3 and next time try to do 4.

michaelb

As everyone else stated–train at your own pace & add a little more when you feel comfortable. Don’t feel bad–I still smoke and the cardo part kills me…

oldkravdude

I like to tell prospective members who think that they can’t do Krav because of age or a physical disability that their physical challenge doesn’t stop them from being a victim of an attack. In fact, it may enhance the chance of an attack. If age, etc. isn’t an excuse to not be attacked it shouldn’t be an excuse to not do Krav. Now, if your instructors are smart, they tell you to go at your own pace, don’t do things in the class that you physically can’t, etc. Krav is for everyone, not just the ones who are young and in shape. Even going slow and doing half of the class is helping you to become safer! That’s what it’s all about!

brewerm

I have to agree, I still can’t keep up the Cardio pace with the warmup but I do everything else that I can. I am usually the oldest and in the worst shape of any of the other students but I don’t care, they are all significantly younger and most have experience with other martial arts so I don’t expect to keep up, just try and do my best ever session. I paid and my goal is to get into shape. If I was in shape already, I probably wouldn’t have come.

unstpabl1

First off comparing yourself to someone else is folly. Especially 20 somethings.Knock that crap off, your a grown woman for christ’s sake. End that process now and the rest of your life will freakin rock. Haven’t you noticed people suckrofl2 Just teasing all except the people suck part.

The thing thats important to understand is that you train for you. Not for other students, your instructor or a frikken organization. Every person in that room is there for their own reason. Here’s the fun part…None of them deep down give a **** about your training. yeah they may gossip or feel your holding them back , but so what. Thats their problem. Yeah some will be real supportive, but most people only notice the ones who aren’t. If you pay your money and “Show up, Suit Up,Shut up and do your best” you deserve to be there as much as anyone else. Another secret, most instructors/students will be more inspired by your effort than the gifted know it all.

See we got a choice in this world to be an inspiration or a PIA( pain in the azz). We don’t inspire anyone by talking or hiding or worse yet holding back. You inspire people you don’t even know simply by showing up to class and doing what you can. I bet I know what happens when you don’t show up…you don’t feel as good about yourself as when you do. Another secret, you inspire yourself by showing up. Be an inspiration. Inspire your self and the rest will follow

Talk to your instructor. Do what you can do. Err on the side of ease at first. look to make 1% improvements. Realize you need recovery. Come up with a plan and keep showing up as much as you physically can. Gravitate to students willing to help. Avoid Mr gung ho.More than likely he’ll burn out by next month. Remember the 1st rule of self defense is self care. Supreme Self Care

99% of life is SHOWING UP. I think the other 1% is not listening to the bullcrap of the doubters, including the sabatouer in our heads
    :soapbox:

kvmorl

I will have to agree, I am new to Krav and was surprised to see a 55+ lady in class the first day, she did things at her own pace but pushed herself, she really tried on the techniques and got them down very well. She asked to be paired up with a 20s guy with about 80lb on her to practice a take down, after about 2-3 tries and adjustments she got it and the guy was flying to the mat with ease.

Concentrate on you and your goals, the rest will follow.

ericajow

quote Jay99:

But if the best you have is 3 push-ups and everyone else did 30… than I say give me the best 3 you got and tomorrow we will work on getting 4 done. Give it YOUR all each class and no one will fault you.

KM is not here for only those who are in “UFC shape.” It is here for anyone who has an interest in learning how to protect them self. If that is your goal than you should be welcome in any class. thumbsup

Aw, Jamie, you totally inspired me!!!! 🙂 It’s so true – in my whopping 1.1 year(s) of experience (lol!) … it’s always amazing to me to see the progression of students! They’ll come in and not know a straight punch from a hammer fist, barely be able to complete a pushup on their knees … and within a few months, they’re stronger, faster, and their form is MILES away from when they started. And they’re doing crunches and pushups like pros. 🙂

There’s a video out there somewhere of a bag class that I was in when I first started – I look back at it now and CRINGE – so embarassing!!!!! But it’s true what Jay99 said … give your all each class and you’ll be amazed at where it takes you! 🙂

In addition – it’s easy for us to think, “Oh my gosh, I bet everybody’s watching me and critiquing me!” but I guarantee you that in a typical Krav class, 99% of the people in there are focusing on themselves – working on their own technique, trying to get their own form correct, trying to make it through their own crunches or pushups. We don’t have the time or inclination (or energy) to look around and “judge” anybody else.

And, as Mara_Jade said, we’ve all been there!! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: