Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Any climbers here?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    magamike

I’m a rock climber. Krav Maga and Bas CD workouts are turning me into a fighting endurance machine. But, it is killing my climbing! My hands and forearms are always in a perpetual state of mild pumpage (or sore) from all the striking and grappling. That’s fine for fighting seems like, but for climbing it’s a big problem. I’ve noticed that my grip endurance is down probably 25% from where it was before I started training. I suppose once the main climbing season rolls around, I’ll just try to put at least one rest day in front of my climbing days, but between Krav classes and Bas workouts it’s kind of tough to do that sometimes. Since climbing is my lifetime “mastery” sport, I’m a bit bummer at this side-effect.

Any other climbers going through this, or folks who have noticed a decline in their conditioning for other sports due to Krav/fight training?

jenn

Re: Any climbers here?

Mike – I don’t climb (tried it and the whole heights thing . . . shudder) But you should talk to Matt Newbill who trains at Denver & sometimes does the BRM lunch class. He’s about 5’6″, bald & (he’ll TRY to kick my arse for this) he’s built like a meathead. He LOVES climbing.

Prior to surgery I had noticed that my running endurance had decreased.

magamike

Re: Any climbers here?

Thanks Jenn, I’ll be on the lookout for him in class.

Running endurance suffered, hmm? Interesting. I’ve found the opposite in my case. I do a lot of trail running and after all the anaerobic training (KM exhaustion drills and Bas) now I can charge hills much more aggressively with more consistent speed. However, I think much of that has to do with the KM conditioning mindset – keep going no matter what. I really have tried to internalize that in all my other sports now and it really has improved my performance.

I’m completely sold on fighter training for general fitness now, though. I wish I’d been training this way all my life – I’d be a machine!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: