Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics anybody taking Bas MMA system??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

just wondering to learn more.

How is the BAS ground system different from BJJ. I know the Bas system has no Gi so its more realistic.
    I tried BJJ many yrs ago and found it extremely complicated and hard to grasp. Maybe I was too young then. It would be nice to learn some basic ground skills without trying to grasp 1000 techniques.

Anybody in it.

kirsten

Re: anybody taking Bas MMA system??

Hi

I am in it! Yes its a “no-gi” system, but its based off of JJ so it still has submissions in it. But its broken down by belt levels to keep it more user friendly still.

lions2011

Do you mind posting the level 1 submission and grappling moves. Unless it is too much to do.
    That would help.

I assume in level 1 you do moves like Arm bar, Key lock, Kimura and Triangle choke and Rear naked and Guillitine.??

Do they teach alot of position escapes in level 1

Finally I assume there are no dangerous leg locks until the higher levels. Really dont like people messing with my knee.

kirsten

That is a lot… but its starting from basic positions like stance, movement and ground positions (mount, guard, side mount, scarf hold, modified scarf hold, N.S., high mount, back mount,etc with escapes. Then we begin on submissions like arm bars, neck cranks, chokes and of course the escapes. It also includes punches, knees, kicks, take downs and all the defenses also. I should mention that it includes these submission from multiple positions also. Plus we actually work on striking from the ground positions, because what other systems seem to fail to present is the change you MUST make when striking goes to the ground. All of this in a yellow belt class!

The leg locks, knee bars and toe holds are later in the system when students have a great degree of control.

All of this we use our “Drills for Skills” and put them all together to improve retention.

Hope that helps!

lions2011

ok thanks.
    Does level 1 also have Triangle choke, guillitine and kimura and keylocks
    What about single leg takedowns.

Finally, is this practiced using drills rather than all out sparring.
    I think position drills is more beneficial to grasp concepts.
    Surprised they teach neck cranks so early . They seem dangerous.

These are my last questions for now lol

kirsten

Yes, has all of that in it… And MANY takedowns. We use sparring, but for beginners we start with the basics. Neck cranks are not allowed in open grappling for beginners, only slow practice to learn how to apply.

We use a LOT of drills and drill in a more open grappling format. Can’t break it all down, as we work to protect exactly HOW we deliver our method of instruction. If you are looking to augment your Krav Maga training, stop by Bas Rutten’s Elite MMA in Westlake Village and talk to them about starting some ground training.

don

quote lions2011:

How is the BAS ground system different from BJJ. I know the Bas system has no Gi so its more realistic.
    I tried BJJ many yrs ago and found it extremely complicated and hard to grasp. Maybe I was too young then. It would be nice to learn some basic ground skills without trying to grasp 1000 techniques.

Umm, last time I checked, there IS such a thing as no-gi BJJ… :confused:

unstpabl1

quote Don:

Umm, last time I checked, there IS such a thing as no-gi BJJ… :confused:

Is no-gi more realistic in an office or a bar or a nudist colony:dunno:

lions2011

BJJ is proven to be a great system but it has flaws.

1) MOST BJJ classes do not take punches, elbows and hammer fist into account. I am referrign to sports BJJ. Still lethal

2) the GI is very unrealistic and some of the moves wont work in the streets

3) BJJ has no set curriculeuim. There seems to be ENDLESS moves and I found it extremely hard to obtain much when the instructor shows you something and you dont see that move again for 10 weeks.

4) seems that BJJ has endless sweeps and positions that make it too hard for the average schumuck like me to grasp
    My goal is not to be a great gappler but a solid one and I hope BAS system will acheive that .

lions2011

to Kristen. I hope the instructors who teach this BR MMA system have to undergo extensive trainning to prove that are masters of the techniques.
    I hope its not some weekend or 10 day class that they shove down the teaches throat and say have fun.

I hope bas has tremendous standards to ensure quality teaching.

kirsten

Sounds like you had a bad run in with your last training and are very cautious. I would recommend going in and talking to an instructor, watching a class and speaking to students. Just to get a feel…

Its a series of courses just like Krav Maga, however you really have to have a level of understanding to undertake the certification with ground technique given all the reason you stated, it gets complicated. I have observed that only people that are interested in grappling and submissions tend to undertake the certification process. It can be like a chess match, and not everyone has a head for chess.

However if you know anything about Bas, he gives nobody anything. Our failure rate for just the stand up Fight Club program (the pre-req. for the MMA System) is over 30%. He has had black belts in other systems bow out of testing for fear of failure. Other black belts have actually asked for a belt instead of testing… he never gives in.

These instructors are not wearing the name of the training like “Tae Kwon Do” or “Karate”, or even “Krav Maga”- but they are wearing his personal name when they leave. He will NOT put his name on any instructor he does not feel confident in teaching his material.

The MMA System test alone is extensive, there is no room for error, a teaching test is required, PLUS you must undergo a huge Q&A with Bas and the System Senior Lead Instructors: Oneness Fish and/or Lee Mein. Additionally we are a very small program with no plans for hundreds of schools. Because of this, we are able to closely track instructors and ensure they are staying up on their annual certification requirements.

Hope you find a good place to train. You may also want to invest in the Bas Rutten Big DVD’s of Combat. So you can maybe train on your own with a good partner and at a rate that is comfortable to you.

don

quote unstpabl1:

Is no-gi more realistic in an office or a bar or a nudist colony:dunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rc2e2Xa-vU

lions2011

Thanks Kirsten. I am in Portland and i think your in Eugene or Bend. We may get a MMA class here I have been told.

I did BJJ about 10 yrs ago and had a horrible time. The instructor was a nice guy but terrible teacher and would often mix beg moves with advanced moves and never go over them again. He was all over the place. After 6 months I quit and did not learn anything ..

Just doing Level 1 trainning in KRAV I have learned alot
    I think a MMA class would be good for ground
    I may try a muay thai class in the summer too
    I hope my skinny body can handle it lol.

hicklinc

yeah ive been waiting for a bas fight club to open in georgia but no luck so far

unstpabl1

thats funny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: