Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Anyone have a good KRAV based Bag workout routine?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    topitbull

I jus set up the Wavemaster I just bought, and find my self just throwing random combos at it, which is great excersise and all, but I would like to know if there are any good routines to follow?

emil

yes get the bas tapes. wavemaster is perfect for that. if not just type \”boxing combos\” or \”thai boxing combos\” into google. you’ll get tons, mix it up with some calistenics.

garddawg

I’ve looked and could not find anything better than the Bas tapes.

topitbull

call me stupid, but what are calistenics?

garddawg

bodyweight exercises. Pushups-Squats etc.

(Don’t forget pullups)

johnwhitman

Bas’s stuff is excellent!

(Disclaimer: we work very closely with Bas and he is our friend, however, we do NOT make any money from endorsing or selling his products and I do NOT use this forum to advertise anything from which we make money. I recommend Bas’s tapes for one reason: they are a great product.)

I use them all the time. Aside from just the conditioning workout, I sometimes use them to teach my students defenses against combinations. Once they know the basic defenses against punches and kicks, I will have one person be the attacker and the other defend, and I have them throw the combinations he calls out. This allows the attacker to work on good combos against an opponent and allows the defender to learn to see and defend combinations. It is predictable, of course — you know what your opponent is going to throw the minute Bas calls it out – but as part of the learning process it is excellent.

There are lots of suggestions for how to modify. You can do the tapes to the air (shadowboxing) for more cardio, or to a bag for power. I like to pick one movement I feel isn’t sharp enough — say, shooting in, or front kick to a vertical target — and do that about ten times in between rounds.

topitbull

Thanks everyone,

I’m gonna check out Bas’s tapes as I think there is a consensus here!

BTW John, love the new forum because its fast. but whats with the site?

it looks kind of dry, the old green and black look gave it a real hardcore feel!

Just my 2 cents, maybe I will start a poll!

clfmak

First of all, some people will tell you, and I agree to some extent, that bag work for pure fitness can be counter productive- if you train after you get really tired, you will develop poor form, so it may be a good idea to finish off with other exercise, like push ups, etc.
    Aside from that, you can probably come up with your own drills based on all of the tools you have in krav. Some formats that I train under are:
    1. Individual tools: practice one tool, like a jab or front kick, a set number of times, then switch sides. Here, you focus on form. This leads to combos, which you can practice in the same way.
    2. Skill sets: work random combinations with different tool sets, like all punches, or all kicks, or all elbows. This is good for working at different ranges. This leads into freestyle stuff.
    3. Rounds: time yourself and do whatever you want. This is useful for learning how to pace yourself and rest by moving around. I like three or five minute rounds.
    4. Anywhere strikes: this is a set of drills from the book Attack Proof by John Perkins. If you’re interested in developing attacks from any angle, check it out.
    5. Conditioning: learn to strike and receive strikes with any part of your body. For instance, hit the bag back with your shoulder, and as it swings back, let it hit you in the abs or back. This is also good for developing body unity (moving your whole body when initiating movements) because you can’t use your arm power. Another conditioning exercise is to swing the bag as far as you can, and let it hit you in the stomach (but this won’t work with all bags). Another, for the forearms, is to swing back and forth, hitting with inside forearms.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: