Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Anyone have experience with Bulgarian Bag?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    doublestrike

Does anyone have any experience with the Bulgarian Bag as a training / conditioning tool? From what I’ve read so far, it’s a great functional tool for strength and fitness training.

They have “official” Bulgarian bags in addition to a plethora of instructions on how to make your own bag on the internet.

http://suples.com/bulgarian-bag/

I was wondering if people could share their thoughts and experiences. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bear34

Re: Anyone have experience with Bulgarian Bag?

I have a SKLZ sandbag(less expensive version of Ultimate Sandbag) and a homemade version at a bigger size. I haven’t used a Bulgarian Bag but the BJJ instructor at my former KM school used one all the time. I love the sandbag work. Really improved my balance.

kmyoshi

Hm… interesting. I’ve been looking for ways to improve my conditioning and I’ve been looking at getting a weighted vest, does this replace the vest or does it help condition things that a regular vest doesn’t?

doublestrike

@bear34
    – Thanks for the reply! I’ve heard / read quite a bit about the benefits of sandbag training mainly from RossTraning.com.

@KMyoshi
    – Thanks for the reply! The Bulgarian Bag is a crescent shaped bag filled with material of various weights. From what I’ve read and seen on the internet, it bag is meant to be tossed, swung, etc. Due to it’s specific design, it can also be used to drape over the shoulders for added weight in body exercises (i.e. squats, lunges, etc.). Whereas body vests are immobile objects and cannot be swung externally (while it’s worn). I don’t think the Bulgarian Bag replaces the weighted vests per se, it’s just another tool that compliments one’s training.

kmyoshi

If it does the same thing as a weight vest plus many other functions this might be the way to go. I might just pick one up… free shipping deal is pretty tempting. I might start with a medium sized bag (I was thinking of going small but according to the site it might be too easy).

doublestrike

I just placed an order for a Bulgarian Bag – Medium / 26lbs. 🙂 I’ll post a follow-up review.

kmyoshi

Any updates? Dec 31st is coming up fast and I’ll need to place my order soon!

don

You can make decent substitute bags out of large inner tubes, sand, and duct tape. Some even have webbing/straps built in.. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+make+bulgarian+bag&sm=3

kmyoshi

I’ll have to look into that. Same with building that agility ladder, I’m just too lazy and/or incompetent at DIYs :D:

Google is my friend… as is youtube :chair::banghead:

doublestrike

Hey guys, sorry for the tardiness of this follow-up response to my original thread. I hope everyone had a great holiday season!

I’ve purchased my Bulgarian bag about a month ago from Suples (http://suples.com/bulgarian-bag/). I ordered the Medium bag which is approx. 26 lbs.

The bag itself arrived in a well packaged cardboard box and wrapped in a separate nylon bag. The bag is made of high quality goat hide leather and is handmade in Bulgaria. The fit, finish, and construction is top notch. The seams are tight fitting and extremely well done. The bag also comes with an instructional DVD by the creator / inventor of the Bulgarian Bag. It’s basically a fitness video demonstrating the various techniques and exercises you can do w/ the bag.

So far, I’ve been using it religiously 3-4 times a week as part of my personal training / workout regiment. The main movement of bag twists is really a great over all body workout, since you’re literally using your entire body for the exercise. The DVD shows a ton of other useful workouts that can be done w/ the bag.

Overall, I’m happy with my purchase. And yes from a previous poster, you can make your own homemade bag via YouTube instructions. I was just too lazy and didn’t want to take the time 🙂

I’ll be happy to answer any specific questions about the bag.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: