Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Apparently I am going to ask the standard question.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Heavy Bags, and yes I did search the archives.

Question 1: Is it best to get the heaviest bag possible?
    Question 2: Is canvas better than vinyl?

I know the standard response is buy the best bag you can right away, as it is a better investment than constant replacement. What I want to do is buy the Sporting Good Store Special < $100, beat the hell out of it, and if it becomes something I am going to stick with, then buy a real bag later, otherwise I am only out a small amount of cash.

Thanks

wyatt9696

in my experience, i would opt for a softer bag than a rock hard one. many bags tend to get harder after they have been pounded for a while(it makes the stuffing settle). in my opinion, you’ll be less likely to kick or strike a super hard bag with full force, due to a possiblity of it injuring your extremities, therefore, not getting proper use of the bag. my favorite bag is a 6′ thai (banana) bag. you’ll get full range, from high to low strikes and kicks. they are around 120 pounds. leather might last a bit longer. There are some synthetic coverings that are as durable if not more than leather as well. it all depends on your price range. fairtex makes good thai bags, as well as most of their other heavy bags. Another alternative is to buy an unfilled bag( will save on overweight freight charges) and fill it yourself, with old clothing, shredded fabric, etc…

I once read an article by a muay thai student. he asked his master as to what should he stuff his heavy bag with. the master replied,\”straw\”. if you choose a hard material you’ll be afraid to go 100% at the bag, because of fear of injury. therefore the softer, in his opinion, the better.

You’ve sort of already stated in your post, what you were going to do anyway, but these are some thoughts that i think will help. as far as canvas vs. vinyl, it’s just personnel preference. go to the store and bring your gloves, and bang a few around, and see how they feel. it truly is personnel preference. good luck with your decision.

kpalena

I disagree with the soft bag theory. That is not to say that a hard bag is better. If you are a hard puncher and soft bag will tend to fold in a little bit. This can cause your punch to be off course a little. A hard punch had better be straight on or you can injure your wrist. A hard bag can \”roll\” and do the same thing. I throw a lot of kicks into my routiene so I opted for a harder bag and better punching technique. I agree completely with trying before buying. People might look at you funny, but who cares?

wyatt9696

Re:

I didn’t mean a pillow soft type bag. just mean that some bags have zero give to them, vs. some that will absorb more. i believe a lot is personal preference, and what type of application your going to use it for. everyone has different wants and needs, so like we’ve both said, better to try a few out, before you buy and regret your purchase.

clfmak

1. Yes
    2. Yes

There are 2 bags that I am looking at both are Everlast and either 70lbs or 100lbs. One is vinyl and the other is canvas.

wyatt9696 you said vinyl or canvas is a personal preference, and CLFMak you said canvas is better. My question between the two would be durability, do you guys have an opinion as to which one would hold up longer?

Thanks for all the info.

wyatt9696

they are both durable. it really depends on the workload you’re putting on them. i’ve used both, and really don’t have a strong preference. if you’re just using it around your house 2-4 times a week, my guess would be that there would be no problem with either one. it’s not like an entire school would be using it. then again, if you’re planning on using it heavily, like everyday, for hours and hours, spend the extra money and get a quality bag. if you end up not using it as frequently or stop all together, just sell it to recoup some of your money. this is really up to you, and your wants and needs. no one here, can tell you what’s better for you. only you can do that. but, since you asked, if i had to choose between canvas and some sort of vinyl, i’d go with the vinyl, or \”synthetic leather\” type. once again, just my preference. good luck.

btw, the everlast \”nevatear\” bags are a pretty good buy. if you look around on the net, you’d probably get a good deal. oh, i would go for the 100 pound bag as well.

Thanks I really appreciate your input.

jjbklb

I have the everlast vinyl bag.I’ve had it for 3 years now.
    It looks as good as new.I periodically spray armourall spray that you’d use on the sidewalls of your car tires to keep it pristine.

jaeroo

Preference:Personal

It has been said that to develop power, you have to use a bag that weighs 75 lbs. or greater. Personally, a bag weighing 85 lbs. just won’t cut it for my thai kicks and my JKD sidekick. For me the heavier and harder, the better. A hard bag is excellent for conditioning my shins and elbows too and on some ocassions without gloves, my knuckles. The heaviest bag that I feel can stand up to my kicks so far weighed 250 lbs.

vicious

Think of it like resistance training… evenutally you’ll want more resisitance.

nutt

dont forget wrist wraps and bag gloves, boxing gloves, or at least a descent set of padded MMA gloves.

Use the bag without the gloves, and you will just cause unessisary damage to your hands.

Id also say go for a vinyl bag, dont worry too much about weight as long as it sa half descent 6ft bad so you can use it for punches and kicks. search the web im sure there are plenty out there for good prices even shipped.

if its too light, or alternatively when it gets too light, or if the material, starts to ‘settle’ too much towards the bottom, add some old cloth / clothes ( get it from a charity / thrift store, ask if they have any suitiable not really sellable stuff at the desk and you should get it dirt cheap) and possibly some sand to add extra weight towards the bottom (add it at the top and in general it will make its way down if you use the bag enough!)

great workout though. I recomend the bas rutten workout tapes as great HIT cardio and sport specific training for krav ETC:

Picked up a bag yesterday. They did not have my first choice but I did get my second, an Everlast Canvas 70lb bag. Got it hung and went though about a 30 minute workout last night. Seems like a decent bag, the only down side I see so far is bag spinning, but I think that is more a problem with my technique than the bag.

I checked out some of the Unfilled bags and the downside with that is having enough stuffing to fill it. I am thinking that when this current cheapo bag wears out I will buy an Unfilled Leather bag and use the contents of this cheap bag to fill it. Doing that will still put me under the price of buying and shipping a filled quality leather bag.

Thanks to everybody for the advice.

clfmak

I had a used canvas bag I eventually broke, but it lasted longer than lots of the vinyl bags I’ve gone through. With vinyl its easier to periodically condition. One guy said armor all. I’ve never tried it, but it sounds like it works for him. You can also use petroleum jelly, work it in, then wipe it off. Do it while its hanging- I remeber the first time I tried this I took the bag down, then tried to lift it back onto the chain afterwards. It was impossible- it would slide right to the ground.
    The spinning is a technique thing. It probably means you’re hitting it at a funny angle. If you’re not wearing gloves these strikes are the ones that will tear you up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: