Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Apprehensively Curious

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hey everyone. I have been a lurker on this forum for a few weeks and now have decided to say hello. I was looking to this forum for some information and support about Krav Maga. I saw a local news report on a Krav Maga school here in Michigan and it really seemed to speak to me. I hopped online to learn more about it and found myself here. I have 2 reasons for my interest in KM. I have about 50lbs. to lose and I am looking for a fun workout keep things fresh. More importantly, I am looking to KM for self-empowerment. I have battled anxiety for most of my 32 years. In the last 10 years or so, it has gotten much worse. Though some self discovery I have been able to relate most of what is happening to me back to being tormented and bullied though out schooling. I’m 6’4 280lbs and never fought back. I tried TaeKwondo as a teen and never got into it. I didn’t like the uniforms and pushups :). To me it seemed to be more of an art form then something for practical use. I was kind of hoping that if i could get into KM, it would make me feel prepared/empowered to know that i couldn’t be physically threatened again hence squashing my fears. I was hoping to talk with some of you, to get a better idea of what to expect if I were to try a class (format, one-one contact, etc) and to see if anyone else has used KM for similar reasons. thanks for listening.

M-

coda-vex

Re: Apprehensively Curious

One great thing about almost all Krav Maga schools is the fact that you can go try it out for a few hours and see how you like it. Most schools have seminars that are pretty inexpensive and are scheduled on a consistant basis.

Krav Maga is pysically demanding but is open to all levels of fitness and age. Just do the best you can and the rest will come in time. Call your local school and get into one of the seminars, I think you’ll come out of it with alot of confidence, accomplishment and a desire for more.

Good luck!

stevetuna

First of all, welcome to the forum (not to steal Mara Jade’s thunder)!

Your goals are very reasonable – self-confidence, weight loss, overall better physical and mental health. Many of our students express these sentiments to the instructors in one way or another.

As an instructor, I’d expect certain things from you. I’d want your best effort every class. Your best effort, not what the guy next to you can do. Push yourself. Ryan Hoover often says that growth is in the discomfort. I know that, for me, he’s right. I’m betting it’s right for you as well.

Next, understand that it’s ok to be somewhat apprehensive at first. You’re in Detroit, which is great news for you. Pawel, Lisa, Lucas and the others there are top-notch instructors and great people, too. Talk to them before a class. Get into their introduction to Krav Maga classes. Promise yourself that you’ll stick with it for three months, minimum. Listen to what they have to say and give it your all.

You didn’t mention if you were male or female in your post. The bottom line – it doesn’t matter! Success will build upon success. Start slow, set reasonable goals for yourself (weight loss, number of push-ups, etc.) and work it! Keep us posted on how it’s going for you!

Best wishes.

I like a good hard workout. I guess I just don’t like the big egos and the condescending behavior from my past experiences of martial arts.

What is the format of a “typical” beginner class. Like Boot Camp type training? I guess i’m trying to get a flavor for it in my head.

btw.. i’m Male 🙂

M-

dgm89

I have been doing krav for about 3 months and i have loved it. Krav is definitely up your alley based on what you described wanting. A beginner class won’t be bootcamp. You will start with a good cardio warmup, practice some techniques, and do a few drills. So no bootcamp, just a good workout.

don

quote u.r._courageous:

I guess I just don’t like the big egos and the condescending behavior from my past experiences of martial arts.

Ditto. There is always the chance that you will experience that wherever you go with whatever you are training (including KM). IMO, however, you will probably experience less of that in KMWW. Now I haven’t been everywhere and seen everything BUT I can honestly say that I have yet to experience anything like that in any of my interactions with KMWW people (including all the way up to Darren) – and these are some of the most experienced and talented people around… :):

kmcat

The top 10 things you will get out of Krav Maga:

10. You will have trouble watching horror/action movies. (Pluck the choke dammit!, The gun is in reach, just grab it!, OMG the gun is touching your head — sweet!)

9. You will make people nervous in crowds with your heightened level of awareness.

8. After being pounded and choked in class, your boss yelling at you will seem like a treat.

7. Your bulging shoulder muscles will make it a bit more difficult to effectively wash your back in the shower.

6. When they play security videos on the news, instead of being horrified or frightened like most people, you will be studying them and running alternate scenarios in you head.

5. Physical challenges will be measured in “Krav Units” (e.g., that hike was worth about a 0.5 warm up).

4. You will feel like your school fees and classes are wasted because no one ever wants to fight you.

3. Explaining odd injuries and scrapes at work may be awkward.

2. You will become familiar with muscle soreness, but you will come to like it and feel that something is wrong when you don’t have a sore spot.

1. Your confidence and strength will be well worth it all.

ericajow

[QUOTE=KMCat;46890]The top 10 things you will get out of Krav Maga:

7. Your bulging shoulder muscles will make it a bit more difficult to effectively wash your back in the shower.

QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Shorter necklaces just don’t fit like they used to … they’ve become chokers. 😉

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote KMCat:

The top 10 things you will get out of Krav Maga:

10. You will have trouble watching horror/action movies. (Pluck the choke dammit!, The gun is in reach, just grab it!, OMG the gun is touching your head — sweet!)

9. You will make people nervous in crowds with your heightened level of awareness.

8. After being pounded and choked in class, your boss yelling at you will seem like a treat.

6. When they play security videos on the news, instead of being horrified or frightened like most people, you will be studying them and running alternate scenarios in you head.

5. Physical challenges will be measured in “Krav Units” (e.g., that hike was worth about a 0.5 warm up).

4. You will feel like your school fees and classes are wasted because no one ever wants to fight you.

3. Explaining odd injuries and scrapes at work may be awkward.

2. You will become familiar with muscle soreness, but you will come to like it and feel that something is wrong when you don’t have a sore spot.

1. Your confidence and strength will be well worth it all.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

mara-jade

Welcome M!

I can only speak for myself and hubby – wait till you find you’re gonna enjoy the bruises, the classes and everything that goes with it.

We love it but you’ve got to decide for yourself – take a class and I suspect you’ll be VERY hookedthumbsup

I can’t add too much more than what’s already been said except best wishes on your training:wav:

Well, first of all, pushups and variations thereof are one of the favorite forms of torture, at least at AKMF in Atlanta. And the plank is the the worst of all. Or is it going back and forth from “top of push-up” to plank position over and over again. Or the centipede back and forth across the room. Etc… Hmmm…. I can’t decide. LOL.

Seriously, Krav Maga is very strenuous sometimes, but it’s always rewarding, at least to me. I enjoy it immensely… about 5 months ago I achieved Level 2 (working on Level 3), and am beginning to feel like I can take care of myself in many situations… as opposed to before, when I felt completely helpless (which did my self-esteem no good). I definitely feel more “empowered” now.

I’m extremely glad that I started taking Krav Maga (been going about a year and a half now), that I’m privileged to learn from such excellent instructors, and I will continue my training for the foreseeable future.

Go for it, dude… you’ll be glad you did.

Later…

quote u.r._courageous:

Hey everyone. I have been a lurker on this forum for a few weeks and now have decided to say hello. I was looking to this forum for some information and support about Krav Maga. I saw a local news report on a Krav Maga school here in Michigan and it really seemed to speak to me. I hopped online to learn more about it and found myself here. I have 2 reasons for my interest in KM. I have about 50lbs. to lose and I am looking for a fun workout keep things fresh. More importantly, I am looking to KM for self-empowerment. I have battled anxiety for most of my 32 years. In the last 10 years or so, it has gotten much worse. Though some self discovery I have been able to relate most of what is happening to me back to being tormented and bullied though out schooling. I’m 6’4 280lbs and never fought back. I tried TaeKwondo as a teen and never got into it. I didn’t like the uniforms and pushups :). To me it seemed to be more of an art form then something for practical use. I was kind of hoping that if i could get into KM, it would make me feel prepared/empowered to know that i couldn’t be physically threatened again hence squashing my fears. I was hoping to talk with some of you, to get a better idea of what to expect if I were to try a class (format, one-one contact, etc) and to see if anyone else has used KM for similar reasons. thanks for listening.

M-

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: