Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have a bit of a weak right wrist. I was looking for a little extra protection before starting KM. I bought these gloves http://www.amazon.com/UFC-MMA-Training-Gloves-Medium/dp/B001FZ1FGW

Anyone think these would be a problem to use during KM level 1 training???

thanks

kirsten

Re: Are gloves ok??

I don’t see a problem with it, but you should clear it with the class instructor before wearing them in training.

I use a few passes of athletic tape around my wrists to provide extra support… then wraps and gloves if I am doing a lot of mitt work. It may help your wrists to do the same.

jaspthecat

I would personally wear wraps or undergloves with a wrist support until you get used to the plucks and holds in KM as a bulky glove may impede these movements initially. Plus wraps / underglove will offer better protection.

Also, I found that a gripper eg ‘Captains of Crush’ helped me with building up wrist strength.

nate

Yeah like Kirsten said, just check with your instructor to make sure the gloves are cool for class.

I’ve got a busted up right wrist too, so depending on how it feels, I’ll throw some athletic tape on it just to keep it safe and give some extra protection. Wrist wraps are also great for giving that wrist some support, and you can wear those under your gloves.

The tape is also good because it gives your partner a visual indication / reminder to take it easy on any defenses that might affect your wrist.

Be careful not to get too dependent on wraps or gloves for wrist support. Begin a routine NOW to strengthen your wrist.

I got used to extra wrist support. Was monkey in the middle without gloves or wraps and wham……. nasty sprain. 6 mos. now and still not completely healed.

Extra support is good for heavy mitt and bag work but spend time striking the bag without and doing exercises to strengthen your wrists.

CCB

jl

There is a thread on wrist strengthening somewhere on this forum of which I cannot find, LOL. But go to this site for a look at Powerball Wrist and forearm strength. http://www.nsdball.com Hope you can use this info. Other than that, Kristen gave the perfect solution….layering! Good Luck JL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: