Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics are the DVDs still relevant?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    j-frank

I’m thinking about picking up the 5-DVD set, but I’ve heard that certain techniques have been altered since the DVDs were made.

Are the DVDs for the most part still worth getting?

anonymous

Absolutely, I refer to the all the time. After class, I can go right to the space and do my own review. I find the techniques to mostly be the same that I am learning in class. If you want to try them out, join Netflix (http://www.netflix.com) for the free trial, they have the entire series. This is what I did before I bought them.

giant-killer

Yes, they are still relevant. They are very good, showing you all of the techniques in detail. For any updates you could look out for the new KM book coming out soon.

lb

is there ground fighting/techniques on the dvds? if so, which?

mara-jade

Absolutely! I find them great for review. In my head I can picture how the move has changed if the tape is different.

This brings up a question I’ve been meaning to ask. If a move has changed since you tested at that level, when one goes back to test(you get tested on prior levels anyways), do you get penalized if you do the move the old way instead of the new way? 😕

Thanks for any help! 😀

j-frank

thanks for the info, all – I went ahead and bought a copy on eBay. Hopefully it will arrive soon 🙂

giant-killer

Hmmm, interesting question mara, not sure, but as long as you kick ass, hopefully it won’t matter? 😈

mara-jade

Hey Giant,

Oh I know in real life how do THEY know I’m doing it wrong 😆 but testwise I’d like to know 😀

giant-killer

I think it would be good if maybe they could find a way to clearly point out the things that were changed and why. No shame in it, in fact it’s a good thing to experiment and change something that is not working. So, maybe they could put it in a newsletter or so, describe the new technique and the old and explain why it’s done differently now. That way everyone would know and would have a chance to learn the correct thing for the test.

oldkravdude

Krav does change and this is a good thing. It’s not married to tradition. If something comes along that Krav thinks makes people safer, they use it. It is an open system because it isn’t a marial art, it is a self defense system. Not that what was done before was bad or wrong, something easier just came along or the way the bad guys attack changed.

After saying this I will tell you that the dvd’s are a must! Combatives, 99% of the self defense and 99% of the weapon defenses are the same. The big changes that aren’t on the dvd’s are the ground stuff. On the dvd’s you are being taught by the Krav Maga hall of fame!! John, Michael, Marni, Darren, etc. do it as good as it can be done! The dvd’s are worth the price just to see how awesome Marni was.

Hope this helps.

anonymous

After replying earlier, I went through the DVDs again and found that the direction is nearly identical to how it is presented in class.

Another question; in the DVDs it is alluded to additional DVDs in the future. Specifically, there was mention of a focus mitt drill DVD. Anybody have any info on these?

lb

I know I already asked this but what ground techniques are shown besides groudn kicking? Is there BJJ style as they teach in class or what?

oldkravdude

The dvd’s were made around the same year that the center opened – several years now. At that time they had some ground but it was more tilted towards rape prevention type scenerios. Aound that time is when the UFC was taking off and everyone and their brother started Brazilian Jujitsu (sp?).

Krav being what it is saw this new threat and developed very effective techniques at fighting off an attacker who would attack you in this way. Makes me proud that we teach an evolving system. If the attacks change, we change with them.

giant-killer

Some things on the ground are still the same, such as the choke from the side. I think they added some BJJ stuff, such as the triangle choke. Headlock from the side is now done more BJJ style, I remember in the beginning the ground version was somewhat similar to the stand up version, grabbing the head and eyes and pushing the person back that way. Now we grab the shoulder or make a frame with the arms, pushing against the neck, similar to BJJ.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: