Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books At the end of the choke from the front defense with push

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tko99

At the end of this defense, after elbow number 2 and going into knees, does it matter which knee you are using? The Yellowbook ends the defense here… so does it matter which one is “correct”?
    Let’s say I turned left and have already sent in elbow #2 (and hammer fits as well).

Technique #1
    During the turn to face my opponent, I move my right foot to face my opponent (without moving my left/back foot), and I am able to give knee strikes with my left knee.

Technique #2
    During the turn to face my opponent, I can at the same time plant my left foot in front so I can give knee strikes with my right knee.

relli-kant

Re: At the end of the choke from the front defense with push

I think officially it’s the right knee. You can either pivot and do a switch knee, or turn your leg as you throw your hammerfist, so that you end up in your fighting stance, then throw knees from there. Of course, if you happen to feel more comfortable throwing your left, it would be fine to throw that one, too. Main thing is that you throw SOMETHING.

freelancer

There’s a demonstration on the Sherman oaks youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/KravCam

tko99

Ahh thank you all for the help! thumbsup It makes a lot more sense now. I prefer giving right knees:):

I was confusing the knee strike finish with the choke from the back (no push) defense where after you turn into your opponent, you are in the position to use a *specific* side knee strikes.
    If the opponent is on your right side, you will end up finishing with left knee strikes… there’s no other way around it (?).

nate

Good rule of thumb: Throw whichever knee is ready and loaded (back leg). You can always do a switch knee if you’re grab setup is for the opposite (or that’s what you’re used to). The main thing is try not to use your front knee, as it has no power.

bulb98930

We just reviewed this yesterday and I got a little confused about it to.

I’d throw a side hammer and then get in all sorts of knee confusion. It’s still a little awkward since my instinct is to use my left…does that cause any damage, well enough damage to matter to the person I’m countering?

tko99

quote bulb98930:

We just reviewed this yesterday and I got a little confused about it to.

I’d throw a side hammer and then get in all sorts of knee confusion. It’s still a little awkward since my instinct is to use my left…does that cause any damage, well enough damage to matter to the person I’m countering?

I’m not the authority on this, so I’ll defer it to the experts. Ahh I see you are located in Sacramento. Where do you train in Sacramento?
    I’m in Los Angeles right now but I may move back there in a few years…

bulb98930

TK I’m training at Kovars in Carmichael

jamesh-d30

When giving knees from the side clinch, your inside leg should be back (the leg lined up with their center). This allows the widest base, the strongest attack, and keeps your leg out of reach of a takedown attempt.

If you end up in an opposite stance from that, say during a choke from the side defense or from the front with a push, you can either;

1. just switch stance (assuming you hit them hard enough first)
    2. Go ahead and send the forward leg as a knee or a-frame kick and use your recoil to switch stance
    3. Position yourself sideways enough or in center clinch and use your outside leg for a knee strike.

Be careful of giving knees with the outside leg especially if your inside leg is forward and you’re to the side, your base is going to be seriously compromised as your attackers weight is now almost 100% outside of your 1 leg that’s on the ground.

It’s almost surely more about where your attackers head/body moved after the elbow or hammerfist that determines what comes next as opposed to creating a “form” for the followup combatives.

freelancer

quote bulb98930:

First exposure I had to Krav was by Doyle McMahon at his old place and is now with Kovar’s. The guy was awesome!

tko99

quote bulb98930:

Do you know up to what level is offered? I’m beginning level 2 and will be staying in LA until June 2010. Not sure where I will be after then (might be LA or Sac). Oh and why is it SO cold in Sacramento right now? I’m here for a few more days and it’s freezing :(:

bulb98930

quote TKO99:

Do you know up to what level is offered? I’m beginning level 2 and will be staying in LA until June 2010. Not sure where I will be after then (might be LA or Sac). Oh and why is it SO cold in Sacramento right now? I’m here for a few more days and it’s freezing :(:

they do level 1 and 2 right now. Mondays and Wednesdays. This week is Monday only

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: