Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    rickprado

Thought I’d post thread and show examples of bad krav maga.

There are a lot of people out there who get a certificate, or trained with someone for awhile and all of a sudden decided they could open up a school. I recently came across one here in Miami, who post their flawed techniques on facebook.

Here are some pics, I’ve never seen any KM instructors do a stick defense like this, seems very painful. As for the knife, she needs to be deadside a lot more and block closer to the wrist. That guy would blow thru that block and gut her like a fish!

Thoughts

Attachments:

rickprado

Re: Bad Krav Maga

Gun to side of the neck.

I’ve been told that some groups teach this, defense, counter, etc……seems complicated/dangerous……the same side pluck/body defense/ counter with opposite hand that is traditionally taught is much more practical in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Attachments:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I need to remind myself to swallow my coffee before I open threads called “bad Krav Maga” It tends to make a mess when I bust out laughing.

rickprado

quote CJs Dad:

I need to remind myself to swallow my coffee before I open threads called “bad Krav Maga” It tends to make a mess when I bust our laughing.

I tried to understand that gun defense and tried it out for fun. It’s so awkward, I can’t imagine that being feasible under stress, EVEN if you had the movement down pat.

There was a thread here about the shredder and I commented about Dimitri bashing Krav, that was the technique he was commenting about. I understand why now.

:woohoo:

fal

quote rickprado:

Thought I’d post thread and show examples of bad krav maga.

There are a lot of people out there who get a certificate, or trained with someone for awhile and all of a sudden decided they could open up a school. I recently came across one here in Miami, who post their flawed techniques on facebook.

Here are some pics, I’ve never seen any KM instructors do a stick defense like this, seems very painful. As for the knife, she needs to be deadside a lot more and block closer to the wrist. That guy would blow thru that block and gut her like a fish!

Thoughts

I am a student at the school you refer to in this thread. Though I hadn’t heard of you before, I have now discovered that you are apparently an assistant instructor at a different Krav Maga school in Miami. Given this fact, I am very perplexed as to how you concluded that the Krav Maga being taught at my school is “flawed” based on a few photos; that would be like me saying your school must teach bad Krav Maga based on this photo of you holding a knife in a very awkward and dangerous position. As I am sure you know it is very difficult to fully understand what is going on in any technique based on a photograph. Our head instructor is very open to anyone coming for a free class, and he often invites other instructors to join our classes to share and compare different approaches. It would be great if you came by some time with your questions.

Attachments:

rickprado

When I posted the thread, I immediately thought about rewording it, not much I can do about it now. I guess I could’ve been more diplomatic.

The stick defense is nothing like any krav maga defense I have ever seen taught in any krav maga organization. If the attacker was coming down full speed, with power, your wrist will absorb the brunt of the impact. We are taught to avoid the impact, by bursting in, NEVER intentionally absorbing any impact, which is what it being shown in the picture.

The knife defense, as shown is dangerous because as I said, she’s blocking too close to the elbow, it should be closer to the wrist. It’s pretty evident that that the attackers arm will continue upward, stabbing her in the stomach.

The gun defense is very awkward, I can’t imagine your hands not getting tangled under stress, and again, I’ve never seen it represented in any of the major krav maga organizations. You are using the opposite hand to redirect the gun, at the same time bringing the other hand up and over the first hand to counter attack, when it so much simpler using body defense, same side control and redirect of gun and countering with the other hand.

As for me, not only do I assist Rick Blitsein in his classes, I have my own program at the University of Miami.

Perhaps I’ll take you up on the offer if I’m ever in the area at the time of your classes. By the same token, you are always welcome to come to UM.

fal

Rick – thanks for your post and clarification. Have seen your schedule – what is your exact address / location on campus of your school? If you are free on a Saturday (as schedules seem to conflict) come by!

rickprado

Check PM.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I’m glad to see this thread didn’t turn south. Fal is right it is often hard to see exactly how the technique is done from looking at pictures having said that I’m still very perplexed at some of the execution maybe Rick can go check it out and let us know after he sees it live.

Ricks lineage is no joke so if you get the chance to train with him I’d take him up on his offer.

Oh and I’m not an assistant instructor thumbsup

don

The girl doing the knife defense looks kinda cute… just sayin’… ;):

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Don:

The girl doing the knife defense looks kinda cute… just sayin’… ;):

Oh Don, I bet you say that to all the defenders.

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

Oh and I’m not an assistant instructor thumbsup

Thats oK cause I’ll train with you no matter what they call yarofl2

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

Thats oK cause I’ll train with you no matter what they call yarofl2

Ditto!rofl2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: