Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Bad punch/kick form ok in Krav?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    devilnuts

Re: Bad punch/kick form ok in Krav?

Question:

Is “bursting” the same as glicha?

kirk

I actually do a drill where I have my students get on there knees, one holding a pad while the the striker is a distance away to were the have to rotate to touch the pad. No rotation the don’t touch. This is just to emphasis the importance of proper form and rotation in punching.

Rotation of the hips, shoulders and even fist to a certain point are emphasised in every class I do. And if hands are not up the get smacked in the head with a pad as a reminder.

don

My 1 1/2 pesos.

In a fight, there are quite a few abilities that would be nice to have – e.g. (in no particular order) mindset, conditioning, skill/technique/form, quickness/agility/footwork, coordination/flexibility, speed/power/pop, size/strength/explosiveness, being able to take some punishment, being able to perform under stress, aggressiveness/nastiness, instilling conditioned responses as reflexive responses, etc.

It would be great if every area was at its peak potential but development times vary greatly and training time is often very limited. Sometimes, I will allow a little leeway in “perfection” in a particular area/ability in order to provide an all around better rounded or generally more prepared individual. IMO, form is great (and all else being equal, I’m a stickler) but, depending on what is “wrong” or lacking, it may not be “crucial” – ‘it doesn’t have to be pretty to be effective’…

stevetuna

Kirk – thanks, I’m stealing that drill!

Don – thanks, I’m stealing that list and getting it on a t-shirt!

Hmmm… I’ll have to get the KM-PMS shirts made up for the women’s self-defense crew at the same time…

To all: Please keep the good ideas coming. As I say to my detective partners every day, if you’re not smart, you need smart friends!

devilnuts

As far as “mindset” or “aggression” I find myself in a weird place as a student:

I joined the Marines a full four years before I found Krav Maga. So I have the advantage of 4 years worth of “kill” and “pain” embedded in my mind that other students dont have. It’s weird trying to bring that to a manageable level so that I don’t frighten my partner out of the room.

… Or should I just bring everything I have to the table with me, and let the civilians sort it out on their own?

globetrotter

I have noticed this, too. I think that the idea is to hit fast, and not so much with good mechanics, in the way they teach krav in the US. I try to embrace the system of my school, but I also work on my techniques outside of class, to keep up good mechanics of kicks and punches.

krav in the states in trying to build up agression in people, and that is more important, I guess, than good mechnics. Like devilnuts, I spent time in the military, I don’t lack agression, but I can see where it is needed.

Newb here chiming in.Please feel free to advise me to leave the two cents to the pros. But, one point I wanted to reply to is the leaving oneself open when delivering the #2 punch. I noticed that in my class as well. And, my first thought was that there was more attention to the delivery at first and a we’ll work on form later. But, I don’t think my instructor would get the ball rolling while developing habits that would later require attention. I think, after a few clases, it is more that by the time one is delivering the number two punch, you have made the burst inside and are on top of and just overwhelming your father-in-law, oops, I mean your opponent with numerous blows before retracting??!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: