Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Bas Rutten’s fight System DVD’s

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    five04zog

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting the 7 disc Bas Rutten’s fight System DVD set as a reference/study guide. I’m going to be down for 4-6 weeks for knee surgery and plan to kill time with DVD’s and books. If anyone has experience with this DVD set, let me know. Also any advice on any Krav Maga books and/or DVD’s would be great.

Thanks…

five04zog

Re: Bas Rutten’s fight System DVD’s

Hi all,

Well looks like nobody has watched or seen these DVD’s. I broke-down and ordered them (along with his self defense DVD). You just got to love Bas Rutten. I’ve always been a fan so I’ll give them a try and let you all know. It is a 7-disc set with his whole program. His Self Defense DVD is a 1-disc program.

As I’ve mentioned, I just had knee surgery so I’ll have time on my hands recovering to give them a full viewing quickly. The Krav Maga gym I’m going to start at is also a certified Bas Rutten System school but I don’t think I’ll make the grappling classes much. My schedule just won’t allow it.

Also, if anyone has any advise on any Krav Maga dvds please let me know.

Thanks…

five04zog

Hi all,

This is my review of Bas Rutten’s 7 DVD Fight system & his Street defense DVD. I warn you in advance, I’m a Bas Rutten Fan and drink the cool-aid. Bas Rutten is not only a great fighter, but also a great coach. Bas keeps the DVD’s simple and easy to fallow.

I also own and have used Bas Rutten’s audio workout cd’s/tapes. I was first introduced to them many years back at the Academy (FLETC). Along with HIIT/Cross-Fit, style workouts, many of our instructors liked using the BAS Rutten MMA/Heavy bag workout to kick our butts. They are a great alternative to P90X, Insanity and some of the other home workouts on the market. Now onto my review of the fight system DVD’s….

Disc 1: This DVD is focused on warm-ups, stretching, basic falling/rolling, shrimping drills, baiting and more. If you have trained in BJJ, MMA or similar styles/systems, then you have done a lot of this before. That being said, like everything else, Bas Rutten puts his own flavor and insight on everything. Bas likes to keep it simple and practical.

Bas Rutten ends disc-1 by covering some of his style of ground fighting (mostly mount, side-control north/south, etc.). He may do some things a little different then the way you/I learned them in BJJ. His side-control if a prime example. I like what he was teaching. If you train sport BJJ and are only interested in sport BJJ, you will not like Bas Rutten’s grappling style.

Bas has developed a great MMA self-defense style of ground fighting. You wont see anything fancy or flashy. Only practical stuff on these DVD’s. Bas is also entertaining and funny. He will never be accused of being boring.

Disc 2: This disc is mostly striking. We all know that Bas Rutten is a GREAT striker. If you have ever trained/cross-trained in Muay Thai or other styles of Kickboxing, you will feel at home with this DVD.

Bas Rutten’s style of striking is Krav Maga Friendly. I’m new to Krav Maga and behind the power curve. I just recently discovered that Bas Rutten has a strong connection to the Krav Maga community. I’m “simple” so forgive my ignorance. 🙂

I learned a lot from this DVD. I will be incorporating his tips and striking lessons into my training. Bas Rutten’s striking is simple (gross motor skills) brutal and powerful. His fighting stance, tactics and drills seem practical for the ring and the street.

This DVD would make a great mix for any Combatives, defensive tactics, or Krav Maga program. Also, when I say powerful, I don’t mean that you will need to be a big powerful athletic person. His system is about being street-smart.

Disc 3: Disc-3 is more Striking & kicks combinations. This disc also covers Thai pad work, MMA workouts and more. Much is covered and it’s all good stuff. The last part of this disc gets into Takedowns/throws and counters to takedowns throws.

Bas shows MMA/street/Vale todo style takedowns. Simple Hybrid variations of wrestling/BJJ takedowns. He will not show you takedowns that will expose your neck to chokes or slam your knee to the ground (no bad street tactics here). Again, if your focus is sport BJJ, you will be better off training, Judo or wrestling. The takedowns in this DVD are MMA/self-defense, not sport.

Disc 4: Disc-4 is back to the ground. It’s all No-Gi BJJ/ MMA grappling, Cokes, locks, distance management, positioning and more. If you have trained BJJ, MMA, Catch-wrestling, etc. you will take to this disc quickly. Bas Rutten again puts his flavor to these time proven tactics. It is all simple with no fancy sport BJJ stuff getting in the way. Bas will show you both the move and the escape. Lots of simple chokes. Good stuff…

Disc 5: Disc-5 is leg locks, scissor locks & toe holds. Bass Rutten teaches his flavor of leg lock/attacks. Safety warning… if you train leg locks (especially heel hooks!) be super careful! Lots of times you don’t feel the lock until it’s too late. This is why so many BJJ schools wait to train knee/leg locks until purple/brown belt.

If you didn’t know, purple belt is approx. 3-5 years of BJJ training. No room for egos in grappling. You should be rolling at the blue belt level (approx. 1-1/2 two years of BJJ) before live rolling with leg locks. This is just my input.

Training/drilling is different then live rolling. Just be careful with all your joint locks. You can destroy a person’s knee. Bas has a great self-defense mindset when going for leg locks. Going for leg locks can set you up for getting punched in the face if you are not carful.

Bas Rutten always approaches his grappling in a practical way. All you need to do is YouTube BJJ fights. So many schools of Jiu Jitsu seem to ignore MMA/self-defense Jiu Jitsu. Not with Bas Rutten’s system. You will love his DVD’s. Just be careful with your training partners. Tap early if you get locked!

Disc 6: Disc-6 is more side mount, guard, mount tactics and more. Bas Rutten continues to show his no nonsense approach to grappling.

Disc 7: Disc-7 is escapes and reversals. This DVD ends with interviews and bloopers. Good stuff…

Bas Rutten’s street defense DVD: This DVD is not only informative but also fun. This is a great basic guide to self-defense in a common public setting (set in a restaurant/bar). I think this DVD is best for someone that already has basic martial arts/DT skills. If you have never trained, it may not be the best DVD for you.

That being said, I don’t feel any DVD should be used without previous training or experience. Bas Rutten’s DVD’s are great but should not replace live training with a qualified instructor.

I do have an observation about Bas Rutten’s system in general. You will not need to be a super athletic, flexible ninja-ranger-SEAL. If you are an “Average Joe” like me, you will be just fine. His system of fighting is good for everyone, not just the athletically gifted.

Final general observations on self defense training as a whole.

I will likely take some heat for this. Like politics and religion, people can get upset when you say something they don’t agree with or if it threatens their methodology. STRIKERS NEED TO LEARN BASIC GRAPPLING AND GRAPPLERS NEED TO LEAN BASIC STRIKING.

So many strikers love to think that they can bite, kick, elbow, and groin strike their way out of every street encounter. This is not always the case. If a good grappler has you, you are in trouble!

I have also asked (in BJJ classes before) well, wont that position open me up to strikes? Don’t worry the coach would say. “You can’t punch in BJJ tournaments”. A crazy thing to say. Both sides are guiltily of this. Self-defense is diffract from sport.

Bas Rutten’s DVD’s are a great way for both grapplers and strikers to bridge their systems in a practical realistic way. This set of DVD’s is both MMA and self-defense smart.

Quick Side note on a whole other set of DVD’s: Gracie Combatives….

If you are looking for a set of just Jiu Jitsu/Grappling DVD’s, I highly recommend the Gracie Combatives DVD’s. I have been training BJJ for about two years. I have successfully incorporated many of the techniques on these DVD’s into my weekly BJJ classes.

I have also incorporated many of the Gracie Combative concepts into the DT classes I teach my fellow LEO’s. They are 100% self-defense/ street BJJ. No sport stuff. I will gladly give a review of these DVD’s if requested. Until then, you CAN’T GO WRONG with the Bas Rutten DVD’s. Good training all! Stay Safe…

really nice post love it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: