Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Bas Thai Boxing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    carpecanis

I seem to have misplaced the DVD that came with my Bas tapes that explains what he wants you to do when he calls out whatever.

When you’re doing the Thai boxing, I know you’re supposed to throw a knee or kick after the combo but I can’t remember: Is it the same, or opposite, side as the last fist that you threw? I’m thinking that it’s opposite, but to me throwing the same side seems more natural, since your weight and body are already rotating in that direction.

If it is the opposite side, any ideas why this is better? More wind up power? Just a better workout? Better to catch your opponent off guard? Did I just answer my own question?

raneman

Re: Bas Thai Boxing

I think it is same side. I have been doing the all around fighting one so far and I usually do both knees in between the combo for more of a workout as it is natural to follow the follow through and add the second knee. My abs are usually on fire by the end of each shadow boxing cycle when I add both. He does mention in the beginning to be adding knees(more than one) with each combination.

I hope that helps

Pete

bradm

I have done the kicks both ways, same side and opposite side. Personally, I think the opposite side gives you a better work out because you have to twist your body back again to do the kick. I.e. if Bas calls a #4 combo, the last punch is a straight right and you have twisted your body to the left. To do the opposite (left) kick, you have to twist your body to the right. And with the speed that Bas calls out the combos you have to move quickly to get back in position for the next combo.

I just recently started the Bas Thai Boxing tape work out again after several months. So far I just do the two minute rounds. I do the complete 10 rounds with kicks on each combo. After a short rest, I do the 10 rounds again, but with out the kicks. I just do the combos and rally concentrate on power and technique.

giant-killer

When we do the combos in class, it’s usually opposite side knee/kick.

cmetalman

So, say your doing Bas #4 which ends in a right cross and your kneeing with the opposite side (assuming your right handed and your right leg is back ) are you doing a switch kick ( sliding your left leg back and right leg forward) so your kneeing / kicking has more power or are you kneeing/kicking with the front leg?

bradm

quote cmetalman:

So, say your doing Bas #4 which ends in a right cross and your kneeing with the opposite side (assuming your right handed and your right leg is back ) are you doing a switch kick ( sliding your left leg back and right leg forward) so your kneeing / kicking has more power or are you kneeing/kicking with the front leg?

For me, I’m right handed standing in a right fighting stance. The Bas #4 combo, as you say, ends in a right cross. I try to follow Bas’ instructions and twist my body with every punch. I previously twisted my body to the right doing the hook so when I throw the right cross my body turns to the left and I end up on the ball of my right (back leg). As I complete the right cross and start to execute the kick with my left (front) leg i turn my body to the right again at the same time planting my right (rear) foot solidly on the floor. I don’t do a switch kick. The only knee strikes I do is when Bas calls them out (i.e. three hooks and two knees, ten right knees, ten left knees, etc.)

Anyway, that’s the way I do it, hope I’m not wrong. Been doing it that way for many years.

leejam99

1 and 3 you kick with right. 2 and 4 you kick with left. you can switch kick or just send it from front.

cmetalman

reference to the switch kick, I know it’s quicker to throw the front knee/leg .I have a hard time keeping up with Bas anyway, so I like to do the switch kick for the power. When I workout on the bag (Bob), I love throwing the jab,cross, slide the back leg, pivot the right leg to open the hips and let the left leg fly mt style.

cmetalman

Slide the “LEFT” leg , not the back leg , That doesn’t make any sense.

oneness

It’s opposite knee or kick for the hand you finish the last combination. Why? because you should be recoiling the punch, thus loading for the kick or knee. If you do same side then you are not recoiling. its faster, but no knock out power.

Also if you want to really make it fun! Add at the end of each combo two more strikes. If you add right knee/kick, then left hook, right straight. Left knee then right straight, left hook. There is enough time and that is usually what Bas and I do once we have done the tapes for a week or two and getting back in the flow.

You have to listen for the next combination as you are throwing the last two strikes, he will say it and right away you have to go. You can rest during the break. thumbsup

t-j

quote cmetalman:

I also train at Bas Rutten’s Elite MMA Gym in Thousand Oaks. He and his instructors usually have us do this: if you end with a right handed punch, take a step forward and use your left knee. We do this unless we are out of space, then we switch the stance and throw the knee.

On that note, you should see Kimbo warming up with the Bas workout. He’s a maniac.

la-revancha

quote Oneness:

Also if you want to really make it fun! Add at the end of each combo two more strikes. If you add right knee/kick, then left hook, right straight. Left knee then right straight, left hook.

Sweet! I was running out of new ideas. Thanks, Oneness.

la-revancha

Holy sh!t, that was awesome!!

Did 10x3min rounds of the Thai Boxing like that (lead hook/cross or cross/lead hook after the opposite kick). I like to alternate my stance b/w each round, so it REALLY became interesting. You’re always like half a combo behind!

You add a few hundred punches per workout this way.

Feel like I’m learning Bas all over again!

cmetalman

T.J. I like that -throw the right punch then step forward then throw the left knee/kick ,good to keep changing it up ,I just dusted off the Bas video and watched it again ,found out I’ve been doing the knees wrong, when he calls out a combo then two knees I’ve been using the same knee instead of alternating them ,also when he throws the knees they are more to the side then forward. when I warm up I like to knee straight up and touch my coller bone but for the Bas workout I throw the knees up and forward using the hip . ( my mind is always open for new info.)

t-j

The cool thing is watching Bas do a “Bas Workout.” He and Hector Pena (a Kickboxer who trains striking at Big John McCarthy’s gym) do the workout almost every morning. I once asked Bas during his class if he would turn off the tapes and just say “two and a four; right straight left hook” in person instead of litening to the tapes. He just laughed at me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: