Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Basic fitness questions, out of Krav for some time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I might or might not ever return to Krav, but whether or not I return I’d like to be healthy in general just in case I do decide to return. I am not confident that I am posting in the right place, but I have the highest respect for this community and know that Krav folks tend to take care of their bodies.

With that said, I am a 5’10 male with a medium frame….my thumb barely overlaps my finger on the frame size test. I know that is not the greatest test, but I have to do something before I become discouraged.

I was up to 213 pounds at 5’10 and I am 42 years of age.

I am now about 188 pounds. I have been dieting but haven’t been able to exercise much due to an injury. Things are healing up, but I don’t want to go too crazy.

Questions:

1) Does doing body weight exercises only create *ANY* weight gain or is that limited to free weight excercises? (I ask this because my mind works differently than most and I am encouraged most by number loss on the scale…just want my numbers to go down and deal with the rest later).

2) If you were my height, what would you weigh? I like being stocky because I notice that no one bothers me. I like being skinny because I find it easier on my knees, but the advertised numbers on many height weight charts leave me amazed.

I’d like this to be a fun thread. I’d like to stop dieting at some point.

What would you weigh at my height? Do burpees and pushups etc., put *ANY* weight on you at all?

I know it’s hard to say etc., but I’d just like some thoughts. Tired of fooling myself into thinking it’s time to stop dieting or wanting to be so skinny I am an easy target to get pushed around. I learned in Krav class that if you look like a lion and carry yourself like one you can avoid confrontation. I notice this much more so than when I was 150 lbs. in my early 20’s.

​Thanks for your help!

jjbklb

Do you have a pool available?wEaring a flotation belt allows you to walk/run in place while floating in the deeper section of the pool.If in injury recovery,you’ll avoid joint stress & burn calories.

kmyoshi

My opinion might hold little weight (no pun intended) because I am height deficient (5’5″) and 120lbs. Dieting/eating healthy is probably the most important thing you can do other than exercising. I know people who were overweight and just by cutting out sugar from their diet, lost weight. Exercise goes hand in hand with eating healthy in helping you get your weight under control. Like what jjbklb said, swimming is an excellent way to get your exercise in without stressing out your joints. Here is an interesting article that you should read. For the longest time, I always associated weight loss with cardio, and weight gain with lifting weights until a few years ago. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm

doublestrike

​Hi ukiltmybrutha,

Believe me, tons of men your age (including myself) have faced the same problem and self-doubt/ questions you’re currently going through.

There are widely available charts and information on the Internet about how much a person of a certain height should weigh (i.e. Body Mass Index – BMI Charts, etc.), but those are just general guidelines and shouldn’t be looked to as a definitive metric.

For your first step, I would advise to see your doctor to see what he says and get a baseline of all of your vitals (i.e. weight, blood pressure, cholestorol, etc.). Looks can be deceiving; whereas a skinny dude can be one day away from a heart attack and vice-versa. Going to a doctor also gives you a scientific and honest baseline of where you are right now.

Secondly, I would re-evaulate your current diet. One may say that they’re on a “diet”, but if you’re not getting any results, then it’s time to change it. There are tons of books and literature out there. I would check out The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. His low-carb diet has worked for a lot of people, just search the web for result pics and articles. Remember, most people who have successfully lost weight all say that the key is 90% diet and 10% exercise.

Third, I would recommend that you go back to training Krav. Don’t wait until you’re at a certain weight, etc. before you begin again. Just start up new in the beginners class (I’m not sure what level or your experience) and try your best. Eventually, you will build up stamina and endurance. They key thing to remember is no matter how badly you feel or don’t want to go – just show up and do it.

Lastly, keep a daily or weekly weight & Krav class log. Weigh yourself at the same time everyday (i.e. every morning at the same time) and also keep a small journal of what you did at krav after each class. After a month, you can look at your progress to see if you’re on the right track or have to make changes.

Also keep in mind that muscle weighs more than body fat. In addition, you have to decide which is more important: functional strength or physical appearance. I would rather have some meat on my body and be able to readily defend myself vs. looking like a slim beach body and get my ass kicked or killed 🙂

Simply put, life is both short and long. Nodoby else will invest in yourself, so why not do it yourself? Best of luck man!

Regards,

DoulbeStrike

Really neat posts! You all have summed this up pretty well. Thanks for your time.

*I’d still like to know whether or not body weight exercises actually put on weight at all. No one seems to know anywhere.*

I don’t have access to a pool unfortunately. The elliptical is doing me well. I appreciate all of the links.

kmyoshi

If you’re exercising, you’re burning calories which means you’re losing weight. However, if you’re eating more calories than you are burning than you will gain weight.

quote ukiltmybrutha:

I might or might not ever return to Krav, but whether or not I return I’d like to be healthy in general just in case I do decide to return. I am not confident that I am posting in the right place, but I have the highest respect for this community and know that Krav folks tend to take care of their bodies.

With that said, I am a 5’10 male with a medium frame….my thumb barely overlaps my finger on the frame size test. I know that is not the greatest test, but I have to do something before I become discouraged.

I was up to 213 pounds at 5’10 and I am 42 years of age.

I am now about 188 pounds. I have been dieting but haven’t been able to exercise much due to an injury. Things are healing up, but I don’t want to go too crazy.

Questions:

1) Does doing body weight exercises only create *ANY* weight gain or is that limited to free weight excercises? (I ask this because my mind works differently than most and I am encouraged most by number loss on the scale…just want my numbers to go down and deal with the rest later).

2) If you were my height, what would you weigh? I like being stocky because I notice that no one bothers me. I like being skinny because I find it easier on my knees, but the advertised numbers on many height weight charts leave me amazed.

I’d like this to be a fun thread. I’d like to stop dieting at some point.

What would you weigh at my height? Do burpees and pushups etc., put *ANY* weight on you at all?

I know it’s hard to say etc., but I’d just like some thoughts. Tired of fooling myself into thinking it’s time to stop dieting or wanting to be so skinny I am an easy target to get pushed around. I learned in Krav class that if you look like a lion and carry yourself like one you can avoid confrontation. I notice this much more so than when I was 150 lbs. in my early 20’s.

​Thanks for your help!

Your question is a bit convoluted. I would first establish with yourself what your primary Fitness goal is. Do you want to gain weight or loose it? If you want to gain weight I would advocate strength training with free weights and increasing your caloric uptake however if joint pain and inflexibility are an issue this may not be the right goalfor you. If leaning out and losing weight is what you want I would still Advocate strength training with a little bit of cardio as well as your Krav Maga training and just create a slight caloric deficit. As far as your question about burpees and push ups and other types of calisthenics making you gain weight I would say ultimately no… they will help condition you and give you good functional muscular endurance which is a good trait to have for self defense and fighting. Gaining weight is basically a matter of eating a little more and losing weight is obviously about eating a little bit less.

Putting on weight is not a matter of doing any particular exercise in of itself. Putting on weight is generally a matter of consuming more calories than you burn. Losing weight is ideally burning more calories than you consume. Doing calisthenics such as push-ups and burpees will not make you gain weight ( unless of course you are eating more calories than you burn ) burpees will however improve your muscular endurance and your anaerobic endurance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: