Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Be grateful for KMWW’s high standards

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

I was teaching a km-X class this morning. My 9-year-old daughter was in it. Sheís an orange belt and Iím proud of her skills.

A family friend had asked if a visiting friendís son and daughter could come out and jump in to my km-X classes. The boy was 9, the girl 14. I told them that this would be fine. I met the kids ñ both very nice and polite. I explained to them where Krav Maga comes from and filled them in on our overall philosophy. I then asked them if either had had any prior martial arts experience. ìOh yeah ñ my sister and I are both Tae Kwon Do blackbelts,î replied the 9-year-old boy. HmmmmÖ

I had each of them participate in their age-appropriate class. I turned both classes into a quick overview of Krav Maga. I also asked each kid to come out and show my km-X students their stances from TKD and to demonstrate their favorite kick. Each kid put out a flashy kind of spinning kick, nothing particularly practical and / or powerful (for their scale, of course). We thanked them for their demo and they thanked us for our class.

It was all good, except for the following bad thoughts that I had:

1.) A 9-year-old blackbelt ñ McDojo. Someone, somewhere should be ashamed;
    2.) Reality-based self defense ñ accept no substituteÖ;
    3.) My sweet little orange belt would have beaten the snot out of that boy, and;
    4.) I am so very grateful for the high standards that KMWW maintains in their programs.

garddawg

Re: Be grateful for KMWW’s high standards

I had a family come in recently. Father, Daughter 17, Son 14 black belts at a Kenpo school. They quit after a couple of weeks. We were “too tough”. The classes were “too scary”. They told us they didn’t think they could ever make it through the first belt test. Unbelievable.

mara-jade

Dang y’all…:OhMy:

If anyone had told me over 4 years ago that I was gonna enjoy having myself get beat up and PAY FOR IT, learn about weapons defenses, etc, I would’ve said ‘YOU’RE NUTS’. I thought I’d lost my mind thinking I could pass Level 1. My, how time flies..

I’m also very glad I’ve NEVER had anyone tell me I’m taking too long to get my belt. Y”all have had life stuff happen at one time or another. Sure, I’d love to be at Level 3 now. I have KM compadres who have passed me up. I’m not gonna lie and say I wasn’t bummed, but after hubby’s surgery and being sick (3rd time this year..dangit), I just keep going to classes and when we’ll know when we’re ready. I’m not testing without him:beer:

It takes the heart of a dragon to stick with Krav, day in and day out. That…or a certain insanity. HA!

zen4me

quote Nickolas Cook:

It takes the heart of a dragon to stick with Krav, day in and day out. That…or a certain insanity. HA!

Or a certain level of masochism!

kirk

quote zen4me:

Or a certain level of masochism!

All of the above! It takes passion, commitment, a certain mental fortitude, that some (maybe most) lack.

cw4-ret-h

In defense of many fine martial arts schools, I’d like to add my two cents. I’ve trained in TMA most of my life and attained a 2d degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I’m definitely a Krav fan and wouldn’t train in anything else — having seen the benefits of the “sport” versus “reality based self defense” way of training. I will say, though, that many martial arts schools I’ve attended provided much needed training for many children (and lots of adults) in such things as focus, dedication, and attention to detail. I wouldn’t denigrate their dedication, commitment, or passion to their particular martial art. I believe it provides a great venue for beginning their training and when (or, if) they transition to Krav, they are accustomed to listening to instructors, hard work, and, hopefully, using it truly in defense of themselves or others. While I’d love to strap on the pads and spar some of my Tae Kwon Do colleagues after having trained in Krav for many years, I’m glad to have the TMA underpinnings to my Krav training (despite having to break bad habits — like fighting in a mostly sideways stance). My hat is still off to those who dedicate their time and effort to any form of training. When I speak to others that train in TMA, especially Tae Kwon Do, I don’t belittle their training but try to show them the advantages of training in Krav. Sorry for the rant…I guess this was really my five cents worth.

beeker11

<< I will say, though, that many martial arts schools I’ve attended provided much needed training for many children (and lots of adults) in such things as focus, dedication, and attention to detail. >>

Sorry, I think that’s BS. They should learn that stuff from their parents, not some “karate instructor”. I know, some kids come from a single parent home, but still…

thecrownsown

I don’t think it’s a total replacement. But ya, like Scouts, Girl Guides, etc. you learn life skills and discipline. Obviously its not a total replacement, but ya, Karate, etc. help with it. I dare say in KM-X, the kids learn it there too! 🙂

stevetuna

In reply to CW 4 (Ret.) H:

I hope that I didn’t give off a disrespect for TKD or any other arts in my original post. My point is that I didn’t see “black belt” skills from either the 9 or 14 year old.

My training partner at Phase A was a TKD black belt. I still shudder at the thought of holding pads for that guy’s kicks! I agree that all of our collective martial arts experience adds to what we do in Krav Maga. I boxed for many years and my first desire is always to punch. My kicking needs a lot of work. The TKD guys can kick like no one’s business, but their punching may not be all that it should at times.

I hope that this clarifies my intent. Thanks.

uncleruckus

I did three years of TKD back in junior high and I loved it. Sometimes I miss the militant discipline style of TMAs but I’m too much in love with Krav to go back. Although they are lacking in practicality, you can’t knock them for a lack of discipline and focus. Yes, you should learn how to sit/stand straight and shut up with others are talking from your parents, but learning in a group setting is also invaluable. And I think learning by association is very important. Our TKD instructors preached respect for elders, focusing on studies, making an effort to present ourselves well, etc. as being just as important as proper form for our techniques.

After 5 months of KM I could probably work somebody with a couple years of TKD experience, but they’re completely different. One teaches and art, the other teaches how to whoop somebody’s butt if they try to mess with you. I think you can only talk about one being “better” than the other in a specific context.

kvmorl

Getting a bit off topic here….

All points valid but I think the topic was pointing out giving out Black Belts to 9yr olds and I myself have seen even younger….

I personally hope KMWW and other Krav organizations never go down that path.

cw4-ret-h

In Reply to Beeker11 “Sorry, I think that’s BS. They should learn that stuff from their parents, not some “karate instructor”. I know, some kids come from a single parent home, but still…”

I couldn’t agree more; however, I found too many parents avoiding their responsibilities and trying to push these things off to teachers, coaches, etc.

To Steve Tuna: I didn’t think you were disrespecting TKD, merely reporting your observations on their lack of black belt level skills. I shudder, too, when young children are awarded black belts merely for putting in time (and their parents’ money). I knowthat when I trained in TKD, children under 16 were awarded “youth” black belts after a fairly rigorous test and when they turned 17, were adult red belts that had to test again for an adult black belt.

pugnax88

About the single-parent home thing, I’m only 20, but was raised in a single parent home since I was 2, and I learned all that respect and such without taking any martial art.

On topic, when I was in MMA, there was a little 11 year old girl there tat was a black belt and I couldn’t help but wonder why. I’m sure she’s put the time in, but in all honesty, having seen the children’s classes, is it really the same thing? I’ve got a buddy from work that was a TKD black belt when he was 13 or 14 i think. He stopped for a few years and recently was talking about starting back up. I’ll be curious to see how much of it carries over.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: