Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Becoming a Black Belt

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    zen4me

This partly comes from a conversation I overhead at the weekend and a discussion from another forum, the discussion of Black Belts being required to teach as part of their rank or to gain rank has gotten me thinking. With KM, unless you actively seek to become an instructor you are not required to do any “teaching” outside of giving your training partner feedback.

Does that mean, someone who recognizes they do not have the desire to become an instructor or has the desire but does not have a relatively innate ability to impart the material in a way that allows others to grasp the concept, cannot become a black belt?

Mod, feel free to move if I posted in the wrong section.

– Kelly

mara-jade

Re: Becoming a Black Belt

There are tests for student and instructor black belt. My understanding for black belt it’s by invitation only.

la-revancha

quote mara_jade:

There are tests for student and instructor black belt. My understanding for black belt it’s by invitation only.

Indeed, the exam is invitation only. However, KMWW doesn’t offer two tracks for black belt-two exams are offered a year, and sometimes only one. If your skills are up to par, you will be invited to test.

From what I have noticed, the population percentage who are willing to stay in Krav long enough, and who are crazy enough to want to take that exam, are typically instructors anyways.

But you don’t have to necessarily be an instructor to be eligible to test.

kirsten

It is not necessary at all to become an instructor in order to test. I do recommend it though. The reason is, I truely believe that the best way to understand something is to teach it- at least on some level. In your quest for the black belt, you will likely discover that teaching is really the purpose of the black belt. Its the beginning of basics. But at some point you can only accumulate so many of them before you discover that you have learned all the techiques in a system, what then? Well if you really want to learn that MA or system then the best way to do it is through teaching. To me they go hand in hand. Anyone can learn to be a good instructor… Maybe not a great instructor as some of it is personality and style, but a good instructor is attainable. Teaching for me helped me to become more outgoing (lookout world!), confident, and strong… all important in self-defense… just a thought.

kravmdjeff

Kirsten, I agree with what you say about teaching being one of the best ways to increase your depth of knowledge and understanding. I also think that many people can learn the essentials of transferring information, even if it doesn’t come naturally to them. The one aspect of being an instructor which I believe can’t be taught, however, is something I can only describe as selflessness. The essential concern for the growth and well-being of others I think is something people either have or don’t have.

brand0nzer0

My instructor is currently certified to instruct up to brown belt level. I have heard rumors that he may fly out to Calif. soon to test to be able to administer the black belt test.

paul

i know that when i started to teach flying i learned more in 25 hours of dual than in my past experience in recieving or flying on my own.

bjelder

quote paul:

i know that when i started to teach flying i learned more in 25 hours of dual than in my past experience in recieving or flying on my own.

+1 to that. Flight instructing made me wonder how I passed my checkrides the first time around :OhMy: rofl2

kevin-mack

the traditional way of ranking in Krav Maga was that you were allowed to promote up to two levels below your own. So for someone to promote you to Black Belt he would have to be a 3rd degree Black Belt himself or higher.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: