Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    brindel12

At the beginning of class we put our fist in palm and bow. Then we say something. I’m embaressed to ask the word again and it’s meaning. Can someone help me out. Thanks!

bradm

Re: Beginning class

quote brindel12:

At the beginning of class we put our fist in palm and bow. Then we say something. I’m embaressed to ask the word again and it’s meaning. Can someone help me out. Thanks!

We never bowed in at the Krav classes I took.

Some schools do it, particularly if they’re mostly a traditional martial art school. I dislike the practice, but I am not above showing respect to my instructors. My personal favorite is the greeting I was taught in Muay Thai, where one puts their hands together as if praying, touches their hands along the bridge of the nose and bow your head only.

don

Was it anything like this? at 3:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CGMWlXosp4

😀

will

quote brindel12:

Might be “Kida”, which as far as I’m aware means “bow” in hebrew, believe it or not.

donjon
    Blocked

good to know that i must say it is nice and informative share

kevinmack

The hand in palm thing is a chinese kung fu bow. In Krav Maga you bow with your hands to your side but slightly forward. You bow when the instructor says “kida”…you do not say Kida back. This is done at the begining of class and at the end. Some Israeli instructors expect you to kida after they are done demonstrating something to you.

This is a good example of what I am saying.
    http://kravmagainc.com/images/Haim-Zut-receives-6th-Dan.png

Donjon is such a weird spammer. At least be creative instead of using the same 4 phrases.

bradm

quote TacticalTimmy:

Some schools do it, particularly if they’re mostly a traditional martial art school. I dislike the practice, but I am not above showing respect to my instructors. My personal favorite is the greeting I was taught in Muay Thai, where one puts their hands together as if praying, touches their hands along the bridge of the nose and bow your head only.

I personally don’t hava a problem with bowing either to show respect to the instructor and the school. When the school owner/chief instructor came in to or left our Krav class, we did bow to him. but, our normal instructor did not require us to bow.

bradm

quote Don:

😀

Reminds me of the evil Karate instructor in “The Karate kid”.

stuartf

We bow in at the beginning of class and out at the end. All students stand in one line (no priority to belt rank or anything), the instructor says something that sounds like the “kida” mentioned earlier and everyone bows, additionally at the end of class we shake hands with all the other students. I like the no bs, no katas aspects of Krav, but I also appreciate this gesture, particularly after some rough sparring to show “no hard feelings” and appreciation for the training opportunity.

brindel12

Thanks Will. The word is Kida.

joseph-kor

quote Don:

😀

oh man i laughed so hard watching this 🙂 thanks for sharing

jjbklb

Wow!

I’ve learned so much from these videos.I think I’ll go take a walk in the slums downtown & see if I can drum up a little practice.:)

don

Anytime Joseph! lol jjb! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: