Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    happyloaf

Do all schools use the belt and level system? The school I’m training at says they do not do these?

jay99

Re: Belts/level question

What do they say they use?

mara-jade

quote Happyloaf:

Do all schools use the belt and level system? The school I’m training at says they do not do these?

Wanted to first welcome you to the forum!:wav:

The KM schools I’ve heard of here all use belts/levels. What kind of school is yours(perhaps mixed)? How do they track one’s progression then?:confused:

levi1979

I’m new here and i’m interested in to know more about belt levels in KM.
    I readed the history about Mr. Imi Lichtenfield, the founder , was very interesting and amazing history.

At 2004 I trained KM in a ATA School at Miami, FL and i didn’t see belt levels there.

Thank you.

mara-jade

Welcome Levi!

What did you want to know exactly? The levels are yellow, orange, green, blue, brown and black. Once you attain brown belt, you have to be invited to test for black.

There are books and videos that will help but getting some form of training from a certified instructor is best to help you perfect what you’re learning.

The links I’m showing you don’t have to buy from amazon but just so you know what you’re looking for. There is a KM beginner’s book that should be coming out but not until the summer

http://www.amazon.com/Krav-Maga-Complete-5-DVD-Set/dp/B000246SY6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205509578&sr=8-5
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-Maga-Self-Defense-Techniques/dp/1569755736/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205509578&sr=8-1

There are other books and other organizations but what I listed above is written or produced by KMWW.

Hope this helps:wav:

happyloaf

They do not use the belts at the school I am training at in FL. It appears that they don’t really track progress so much as they focus on a different technique or aspect of Krav each week. This week has been focused on escapes from headlocks and bear hugs along with striking using elbows and knees.

I kinda wish they did a belt thing. I also do Cuong Nhu which is interesting in that they have a fully standardized curriculum for all school around the world.

happyloaf

Like the guy who was ATA in Miami; I am at the ATA school in Gainesville, FL.

bradm

The ATA school that I studied Krav at in Atlanta tested for levels. The levels were related to belts, but we never wore any belts. I’m not sure about the ATA school in Orlando that I trained Krav at, but I didn’t stay with them that long.

happyloaf

They said they will give us the curriculum needed for the tests if we want to test. I might try a test in a few months since the next one is in April and I just started.

We use a rotating curriculum so each week we work on a different technique or goal. It is good at mixing things up but I feel it might be hard to test with a random spattering of knowledge instead of the directed level. But I’m not going to complain we get to work on knife and gun defense next month :)!. Luckily, I have a few years of traditional martial arts training so I already know how to throw decent punches and elbows but my kicks suck. I have no flexibility!

bloodstone

Hi, I’m new on the forum and I don’t take Krav yet. However, I just wanted to say that in the beginning everything can seem to be random, but maybe there’s an agenda to what you’re being taught. During certain times of the year my sensei works mostly on self defense, on others it’s sparring, or forms, or just plain fitness. But they always happen in order. That’s just how it is in my dojo, I could be wrong about your gym. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: