Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    super-b

Why no belt promotions in Florida?

mara-jade

Re: Belts

Pretty broad question you’re asking. There’s more than 1 KMWW center in Florida so which one are you referring to? Did you ask the center? Are they new?

super-b

quote mara_jade:

Pretty broad question you’re asking. There’s more than 1 KMWW center in Florida so which one are you referring to? Did you ask the center? Are they new?

There is a list on this site of belts awarded by state – Florida is missing.

mara-jade

I’m assuming you’re meaning those who take the promotion belt tests? I just looked and there are folks who did get promoted so it SAYS but clicking the site I get CO?:dunno:

https://kravmaga.com/content/view/90/138/

If you’re meaning the black belt tests, you have to be invited to test.

thecrownsown

There are belts? First I’ve heard of this! 🙂 Or is this just a term used for the levels…no actual belts right?

mara-jade

Since I’ve been in, ‘belts’ awarded (in KMWW anyway) have been Certificates for the level tested in.

greenbeanie

quote TheCrownsOwn:

There are belts? First I’ve heard of this! 🙂 Or is this just a term used for the levels…no actual belts right?
    “Originally in civil life (started in 1964) Imi, our teacher and the founder of Krav Maga, put military shirts on the students he had (mostly young men of late teens and early 20’s) and trained them with this attire.

A short time afterwards he adopted the Judo uniforms and a colored belt system, in the sequence of White-Yellow-Orange-Green-Blue-Brown-Black.

This continued until 1987.”

-Eyal Yanilov

greenbeanie

quote mara_jade:

Since I’ve been in, ‘belts’ awarded (in KMWW anyway) have been Certificates for the level tested in.

I have visited a KMWW affiliated training center in my area that awards belts. It’s a part of their uniform.

unstpabl1

Because the hanging chad issue hasn’t been resolved in Florda, there is no way to count the votes. There by making it impossible for a panel of krav auditors to award any belts in the state

super-b

quote mara_jade:

I’m assuming you’re meaning those who take the promotion belt tests? I just looked and there are folks who did get promoted so it SAYS but clicking the site I get CO?:dunno:

https://kravmaga.com/content/view/90/138/

If you’re meaning the black belt tests, you have to be invited to test.

No, I didn’t mean black belt tests, I meant every other belt test for which you don’t have to be invited. FL = CO, see what I mean?

thecrownsown

I’m still a little confused. Maybe I’ll ask my instructor next time. But we get certificates and/or belts after we pass a level?

And how do you wear a belt with KM gear on? The darn thing would be falling off every 2 minutes I’d think! 🙂

guitarded-1

quote TheCrownsOwn:

I’m still a little confused. Maybe I’ll ask my instructor next time. But we get certificates and/or belts after we pass a level?

And how do you wear a belt with KM gear on? The darn thing would be falling off every 2 minutes I’d think! 🙂

You don’t wear a belt in Krav – don’t let the word “belt” confuse you. Use the word “level” is you want to, as it’s all the same. You simply test and move on to the next level.

mara-jade

quote Super B:

No, I didn’t mean black belt tests, I meant every other belt test for which you don’t have to be invited. FL = CO, see what I mean?

Weird so I sent a PM to Licensing..probably a typo

I’ve been thinking about this belt thing for a long time. I’m a Black Belt, but never wear it. David Bluestein (3rd Dan) teaches at my studio and gave me an old school Black Belt ceremony when I finally made it (the first one in about 15 years). In fact, he gave me the same Black Belt that he wore when he trained with Imi in Israel, so that made it extra special. The impact that ceremony had on my students was incredible. I think that (from a business standpoint) when you put something tangible in front of students, they will often times respond viscerally and desire that tangible “thing” that sets them apart from the rest of the pack. I think that this is why so many sub par traditional schools thrive (I’m not saying that all traditional schools are sub-par, but rather that some schools succeed despite themselves). It’s because they are good at instilling that desire, even if their program is crap. I’m actually instituting a belt policy for my higher level students, just to see if it affects retention in that intermediate to advanced transition, where most Krav schools tend to lose students.

super-b

I think having to work to attain some goal (belt, level, etc.) keeps one interested and focused. This is especially true since there are no Krav competitons as there are in martial arts. Otherwise, it’s like a glorified aerobics class.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: