Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone.

I am curious to know what everyone thinks makes for an exciting and entertaining INTRO class or if you all think intro classes are even necessary. If you do think they are important what techniques and drills should be done? How is the best way to create a class full of energy but most importantly get the new student to come back? I am curious as to your alls experience and if your first intro class wowed you or left a lot to be desired.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Best Intro Class?

For me, when I started Krav, it wasn’t so much the class as the rapport that the instructor had with the students. I also noticed that the students, despite age or sex, had a real connection. That was what drew me into the class even more than my desire to learn more about the craft. So, for me, a great intro class is to make sure that the students know they are respected and appreciated, that their safety and education are paramount to the biz end of things.
    Not sure if that actually answered your question…

brentw

If you are an instructor through worldwide, there is a lecture/document on how to structure the Intro class (contact Jeanine.) It does a pretty good job covering the ins and outs. I only ran the intro class for 6 months but I had a perfect record with it.

giant-killer

Hmmm, it’s been almost 11 years since my own intro class, but I guess we went over basic punches, elbows and such. I would probably give the students an overview of the system, a bit of history and an idea about the levels, what they will be learning etc, then go over some basics, such as stance, how to make a fist, punches, elbows etc. Maybe a drill or two. But I think it’s okay to also talk for a bit, explain a few things about the system. If it’s just punches and drills and thus almost identical to any regular class, maybe one wouldn’t need it at all.

giant-killer

Perfect record? What does that mean? No complaints? ;):

brentw

Everybody who took it signed up. On second thought it might have been the carotid I had them in. They don’t learn that defense till they pay up.

miriam

quote BrentW:

If you are an instructor through worldwide, there is a lecture/document on how to structure the Intro class (contact Jeanine.) It does a pretty good job covering the ins and outs. I only ran the intro class for 6 months but I had a perfect record with it.

I’m sitting here with Diana (“D”), and we concur that your great record is because you ARE perfect, Brent!! bow1

raneman

I am not sure what you mean by an intro class. When I went to look at my gym the initial discussions were great and had a very practical approach. I just jumped into a lvl 1 class and it was awesome!! I wasn’t sure what to expect but I have to say what really grabbed me is how much report the instructor had with the students, that they pushed everyone but were quick to make sure the new people could keep up and participate. I actually had to stop my first class but it had me hooked because almost every student came up and told me the first time was always like that and reinforced that even if I was new I was welcome.

I think more than the drills or the warmup or any of that stuff, the new person needs to feel included and not overwhelmed. It becomes a family sort of and thats what makes people come back and motivates them to train even away from class. The instructor and the atmosphere were the hook for me and the material is gravy.

I hope that helps

giant-killer

quote BrentW:

Everybody who took it signed up. On second thought it might have been the carotid I had them in. They don’t learn that defense till they pay up.

Oh, I actually paid up BEFORE I took the intro class. Good old times….

Anyway, I’m worried. Choking out newbies, tying up students, man, you’re dangerous… :OhMy: :):

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

11 years and you still havenít figured out Brents sense of humor? He was kidding.

To address the OP for a minute, I think one important thing is energy level. If the class is buzzing alive whether itís a KM intro class an intro fight class or even a bag class those students are likely to come back for more. So tempo is really important no matter what your teaching.

I know for me if I look out and see people nodding in agreement then I made an impact.

If they are busy looking at the clock or out the window then you have a problem.

quote BrentW:

Brent I am actually a new licensee and do have the lecture you speak of. I have talked to several instructors at different locations and they all seem to do it a bit differently. Some show some upper level material and then take it away from the students. Some show a variety of the combatives and others just stick with a few. Personally I tend to be philosophical and like to put everything in context but at the same time I don’t want to talk to much and suck all the energy out of the room. I am trying to figure out how to strike the perfect balance. Throw them a tease, show them the intensity of Krav without killing them and have them leaving craving more.

Thanks everyone for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for.

giant-killer

quote CJs Dad:

[COLOR=#000000]11 years and you still havenít figured out Brents sense of humor? He was kidding.

Almost, what, five months and you still haven’t figured out my sense of humor? So was I! thumbsup

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

actually I’ve been admin for 8 months now but whos counting 🙂

guerriere

quote KravmanianDevil:

Brent I am actually a new licensee and do have the lecture you speak of. I have talked to several instructors at different locations and they all seem to do it a bit differently. Some show some upper level material and then take it away from the students. Some show a variety of the combatives and others just stick with a few. Personally I tend to be philosophical and like to put everything in context but at the same time I don’t want to talk to much and suck all the energy out of the room. I am trying to figure out how to strike the perfect balance. Throw them a tease, show them the intensity of Krav without killing them and have them leaving craving more.

Thanks everyone for the input. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Some of my friends took an intro class and decided against signing on because of the cost. I wish they’d learned wrist releases, because that’s something you can learn in one class and it’s one technique that they can teach others afterward. It’s practical, doesn’t take a lot of practice, and shows that you don’t necessarily have to be physically strong to protect yourself with this system.

quote Guerriere:

Some of my friends took an intro class and decided against signing on because of the cost. I wish they’d learned wrist releases, because that’s something you can learn in one class and it’s one technique that they can teach others afterward. It’s practical, doesn’t take a lot of practice, and shows that you don’t necessarily have to be physically strong to protect yourself with this system.

Guerrier, thats good to know. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: