Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Best way to get up from the ground?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I have been doing Krav for about 3 months or so, and we recently went over how to defend yourself when your on the ground (on your back) against multiples and how to get up right when you have a safe opportunity. It was definitely one of the hardest classes that I have been through so far but it was great stuff to learn.

Anyway…I was having trouble getting up from the ground quick enough before i got bombarded with kick shields by the other guys i was working with. Does anybody have a good link that shows the best way to get up fast? I am 22 and in pretty good shape, I just need a good technique to work on in my free time. Thanks a lot for ur response

bull1189

Re: Best way to get up from the ground?

It just takes practice to make it flow smoothly and quickly. While the technique is fairly straightforward, the first time learning it is hard for everyone and I’ve seen very few students be able to pull it off quickly at first. Particularly in a drill like that where your stress level rises.

My advice to you would be to just practice it as you learned it and then ask your instructor to take a look at you doing it before or after class.

kmcat

I think a lot of the technique depends on abdomen strength.

Not what you would develop doing crunches, but isometric exercises like the “abdominal plank”.

I see what you’re saying… I think that I don’t have the right technique to get up though. even tho it was a very high stress exercise in class, i was getting up pretty quickly but i know that i wasnt doing it the right way. half the time my back would be turned to my attackers when i got up and even tho i got away, in a real life situation i wouldnt have been hit in the back/stabbed/tackled etc. I am looking more to learn the technique of getting up (i.e. – after i kick out my right leg do i use my left arm to balance, send my left leg behind and then hop up?) I want to be able to practice this at home so I will eventually be able to get up as quick as the best of them…

miriam

Have you already asked your instructor when you’re not in class about your concerns/questions re: whether you’re doing the technique to get up from the ground (either from your back or from your side) correctly? Or asked for an explanation or clarification on what to do differently? I gotta think that’s going to yield the best results for you. Hopefully so… please let us know.

Although.. remember that stress drills serve the very important purpose of letting you see how you perform the technique under conditions of attack and outside of doing straight, repetitive training. As such, you’re likely not going to do it 100% correctly all the time and you will experience getting hit/kicked/screwing up, etc. I beleive the statistic is if you’re even 80% technically correct while training in class, on the street in a real situation on your BEST day you’ll perform at 60%.

So, talk to your instructor… and don’t beat yourself up for making mistakes during drills. Work on getting the techniques down as best as you can, and more importantly, learning what to do and how you react when you do mess up during drills.

The key is to NEVER STOP and NEVER GIVE UP in those moments. IMHO, that’s where you learn the most you need to know.

quote Miriam:

Have you already asked your instructor when you’re not in class about your concerns/questions re: whether you’re doing the technique to get up from the ground (either from your back or from your side) correctly? Or asked for an explanation or clarification on what to do differently? I gotta think that’s going to yield the best results for you. Hopefully so… please let us know.

Although.. remember that stress drills serve the very important purpose of letting you see how you perform the technique under conditions of attack and outside of doing straight, repetitive training. As such, you’re likely not going to do it 100% correctly all the time and you will experience getting hit/kicked/screwing up, etc. I beleive the statistic is if you’re even 80% technically correct while training in class, on the street in a real situation on your BEST day you’ll perform at 60%.

So, talk to your instructor… and don’t beat yourself up for making mistakes during drills. Work on getting the techniques down as best as you can, and more importantly, learning what to do and how you react when you do mess up during drills.

The key is to NEVER STOP and NEVER GIVE UP in those moments. IMHO, that’s where you learn the most you need to know.

great advice. i guess it all comes in time. i also forgot to mention that my group was going harder than any other group in class (not by choice) and the instructor had to tell us to tone it down b/c nobody was actually able to get up during the drill. i was just hopin i could find a good video somewhere about it and work on it while i was home so id be better next time in class

miriam

Thanks! I’m just glad to try and be of some help to some one out there every once in a while. ;):

I just checked Youtube ‘cuz there are a number of helpful videos on the site by Jarret Waldman (black belt instr. from KMWW S.O.) in which he demonstrates various self defense techniques… but there aren’t any for gettin’ up from the ground.

Regardless, it sounds like you’ll get the hang of it soon enough … go get ’em.

leejam99

its hard to say what your doing wrong without seeing it but… most students do couples things wrong when they are performing this technique.

1. they do not swing their legs back far enough. You have to swing both legs behind your base/supporting arm.
    2. as they swing and take their legs back, they land their feet in a very narrow stance. You have to not only swing your legs back far enough, you need to place your feet nice and wide so that you have good base. Think about placing your feet into a fighting stance.

if your having trouble using just 1 hand support your self while your swing your legs back, your both hands.

quote leejam99:

its hard to say what your doing wrong without seeing it but… most students do couples things wrong when they are performing this technique.

1. they do not swing their legs back far enough. You have to swing both legs behind your base/supporting arm.
    2. as they swing and take their legs back, they land their feet in a very narrow stance. You have to not only swing your legs back far enough, you need to place your feet nice and wide so that you have good base. Think about placing your feet into a fighting stance.

if your having trouble using just 1 hand support your self while your swing your legs back, your both hands.

thanks a lot bro, that definitely helped. i was actually doing both of those things wrong so im gonna work on them in my free time. thanks again

leejam99

your welcome!

edmundich

It’s funny, i noticed that whenever i get up, i get up in Krav Maga way. For example when i sit on a floor at Borders 🙂

bull1189

Well, you never know when you’ll need it. Especially near the children’s section in Borders – those 5 year olds sneak up on you!

relli-kant

quote Edmundich:

It’s funny, i noticed that whenever i get up, i get up in Krav Maga way. For example when i sit on a floor at Borders 🙂

I’m actually doing the same thing. I find it’s a good way to get some extra practice in. If you do this everytime you are getting up from the ground, soon you’ll get used to the motion and to getting up that way.

2Penny, one helpful thing to remember is to try and make an “L”-shape with the leg you are swinging back. Bring it straight back first, then move it out to the side at the end, so you’ll end up in a fighting stance.

If you practice this enough, it should not be hard to keep your balance with only one hand on the ground, while keeping the other arm up in front of your face. Although it’s possible to get up with two hands on the ground, it might be risky, as the attacker might attempt to punch you in the face as you are getting up and with both hands on the ground it will be harder to protect yourself.

jamesh-d30

Getting up from the ground safely requires a knowledge of how long it takes you to get up from the ground! Everyone moves a different speeds and everyone has different abilities. Deciding “when” to get up is as important as the “how” to get up. Once you get most of the techniuqe ironed out, spend more time working on timing and judgement. For instance, if my attacker is 50feet away, I may not choose to get up yet….easier to shoot from prone 🙂

clfmak

Its good to know how to take your opponent down while they’re standing up and you’re on the ground if you want to maximize your ability to get up. A while back, we were trying out some multiple opponent stuff, and to get out of a circle, I would ankle pick one person and escape through that opening while getting up. At the Dog Brothers gathering on Sunday, I ended up on the ground in a knife fight, and I hooked one foot behind my opponent’s ankle and pushed his knee with my other foot, and when he recovered without falling I reversed the motion to make him fall forward on his knee. This gave me time to get up and kept me out of his knife range. There’s other ways to do this as well- I went to a leglock seminar a few weeks ago and the instructor taught some really tricky ways to take your opponent to the floor and into a heel hook. I’m just saying there’s usually more to any martial arts technique than absolute speed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: