Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Best way to recover from injury?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    merkava2b

Ok – I’ve only joined one other forum in my life, and I’ve never originated a thread before. I tend to be kind of private. I guess perhaps now is as good a time as any though, and I haven’t seen this topic addressed yet. So here goes…

On my first day of class about a month ago I rolled my wrist while throwing a punch and strained it pretty well (never did have good wrists, dang it!). I iced it when I got home and wrapped it pretty tight, and for the most part it doesn’t bother me too much during my day-to-day activities. Since then I’ve been taking Ibuprofin and wrapping it when it bothers me. There are SOME things though which, even after a month, are quite painful at times. As a Law Enforcement Officer this is turning out to be problematic.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer on how to best speed up my recovery? I don’t want to take off from work or (heaven forbid!) stop training if I can help it. The only times it really hurts is when I flex the hand up/back, as in a palm heel strike or while doing push ups.

Of course, the obvious response is to just go soft for a month or so and let it heal – but I was hoping that someone here would be able to offer something that didn’t seem like such a “candy-assed way out” to me.

Any ideas?

jjbklb

Re: Best way to recover from injury?

A few weeks wearing a bowling glove may provide the rest/support you need for your wrist to heal.

bradm

Sometimes the obvious response is the best answer. There’s nothing “candy ass” about letting an injury heal.

smokelaw1

quote BradM:

Sometimes the obvious response is the best answer. There’s nothing “candy ass” about letting an injury heal.

Bingo. I got thrown (poorly) about three years ago, and injured my shoulder. I never rested it, and let it get “good enough” then went back to training hard. Never got compekltely better. Then, I was forced to take time off for other reasons. And you know what? Now I can train harder and better, knowing that going full force won’t screw me up. Wish I had just let it heal when it happened.

Nothing “candy ass” about taking care of the only body you’ve got.

mikejdm

Take the time going easy on it and let it heal. Then do some specific exercises to strengthen the area to avoid another issue.

Do it right because you don’t only want to heal the physical issue but you want to put your mind at ease as well. Mentally you don’t want to be thinking you might hurt your wrist again and hold back on anything.

russell

like everybody else said time is the best thing, as much as you want to use use your hand dont, relax, take time to let your hand heal, dont be a billy bad a$$! you wont help yourself, all you will do is make it worse!

now that ive said that, if time wont work try a medrol dose pack, i have chronic tennis elbow and about once a year i get a dose pack from my dr. it is a steroid, and makes me gain weight, but the pain goes away in 2-3 days, but it will come back it is a chronic injury that happened 15 years ago at work, long before i had knew about krav, but in my eyes knowing krav maga, and the exercise i get from it far outweigh the steroid problems

stay safe and be smart with your injury

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: