Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

What do you guys and gals think about a training dummy? I’ve been working out in the garage and tues and thursdays are heavy bag day, I’m also trying to go through plucks/defenses etc after my bag exercises.

Basicly I’ve been going through the video at night for review and then in the morning trying to incorporate it into my workout. Not having a partner I’ve been thinking of constructing a dummy.

I was thinking of something along the lines of making something that will have bendable arms like maybe out of the snakey electrical conduit at home depot, covering the parts I don’t want to bend (non joint areas) with PVC and then wrapping in foam padding. That way i can position it in chokes, strikes etc to practice defensives on.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

vwr32

They have such a thing if you want to just buy one… but I think they’re kinda pricey. ($400-500 range I think?)

There’s also websites that show you how to build one if you decide to go that route. This one looked pretty cool. http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/grappled2.html

freelancer

Thanks for the link. Definitely not going to buy one, i’d put that money towards Krav classes.

Thanks

giant-killer

I think a dummy can work well for practicing grappling moves, not sure about KM defenses. I have a BOB bag and have put a long-sleeved shirt on him, so he’s got long arms. It’s possible to tie a gun or rifle to him, just to work on gun or rifle redirection, but it’s hard to do the whole defense, because KM is just too dynamic.

When I practice on my own, I usually do it without a dummy, just in front of the mirror (or without a mirror) imagining different attacks coming and then I do the defenses. I also go very slowly, to get the movement just right. This can be great additional practice and it won’t cost you a cent. 😀

freelancer

I’ve been doing that as well but I sometimes have trouble visualizing. I’ve been having my wife choke me and put me in head locks but with her being 7 months pregnant I get a little nervous about groin slaps!

I started to gather materials from some of the links given. I’ll let you know how it goes. While I won’t have a lot of resistance I think this will help with my footing etc, like with the head lock in a bent over position where you have to step in and then control the arm.

Thanks for the input.

mara-jade

Talk about coincidence – happen to poke around revgear today and saw dummies for sale..Dang them suckers are definitely NOT cheap – $395 for a 150 pound dummy..yikes 😛

vwr32

Re:

quote \”mara_jade\:

Talk about coincidence – happen to poke around revgear today and saw dummies for sale..Dang them suckers are definitely NOT cheap – $395 for a 150 pound dummy..yikes 😛

There’s always other options if ppl want to lower their standards a bit. This one was $14.99
    http://www.funideas.com/inflatablejohndoll.html

Slap some clothes on that puppy and you’re in business.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”vwr32\:

quote \”mara_jade\:

There’s always other options if ppl want to lower their standards a bit. This one was $14.99
    http://www.funideas.com/inflatablejohndoll.html

Slap some clothes on that puppy and you’re in business.

LOL 😆 😆 😆

That was kind of what I was thinking when I saw the first link! Seems like this may be benecifial for striking on the ground/stomp kicks but I can’t imagine grappling with an inannimate (sp?) object …

clfmak

I think the idea of practicing grappling type stuff with a dummy is weird. Grappling really does require another person for the right energy. I used to have a dummy with arms for practicing knife and stick work. I also work a wooden dummy when I train. I think a lot can be gained from striking dummies, but not so much with grappling dummies.

Anyway, if you’re making your own dummy, here’s a couple helpful pages:
    http://alliancemartialarts.com/dummy.htm
    http://www.karateconnection.com/dummy.htm

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I have a Kenpo dummie Iíve used for years but the arms are ridged and straight out, allowing me to practice flow drills, sticky hands, inside outside drills. Like you I also found it extremely helpful during my Escrima/knife training to practice block counter moves.

Having said that I have all the wire sitting on my garage floor to make a new one with more flexible arms so I can use it for Gun and other Krav techniques.

5′ plank and a set of handlebars I bent then wrapped in old towels and duct tape.

I think the big expense was the duct tape.

http://www.caydenjayce.com/kmso_images/pracdummie.jpg

giant-killer

CLFMak!! Long time, no see. What’s happening? 8)

vwr32

Re:

quote \”kravjeff\:

Seems like this may be benecifial for striking on the ground/stomp kicks but I can’t imagine grappling with an inannimate (sp?) object …

I had never given it much thought until I saw one of the BJJ instructors at my school practicing with a Bob dummy laying on the floor. He was moving from a side mount to the mounted position over and over, with a few elbows or strikes thrown in once he made the move. Each time it was done very rapidly like he was taking advantage of an opportunity when the opponent didn’t have a leg or arm blocking the way. It’s almost like you could see the thought process as he moved from right side mount, to top, then to left side mount…then back. Very impressive.

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”vwr32\:

quote \”kravjeff\:

Seems like this may be benecifial for striking on the ground/stomp kicks but I can’t imagine grappling with an inannimate (sp?) object …

I had never given it much thought until I saw one of the BJJ instructors at my school practicing with a Bob dummy laying on the floor. He was moving from a side mount to the mounted position over and over, with a few elbows or strikes thrown in once he made the move. Each time it was done very rapidly like he was taking advantage of an opportunity when the opponent didn’t have a leg or arm blocking the way. It’s almost like you could see the thought process as he moved from right side mount, to top, then to left side mount…then back. Very impressive.

We’ve done similar drills on a heavy bag laying on the floor. I do see benefit in practicing the transition.

giant-killer

I’ve trained like this with a BOB dummy. You could even put a long-sleeved shirt on him to give him \”arms\” or long pants for \”legs\” (maybe stuff ’em with rags). Of course there is no resistance, but it’s still useful for practicing various moves and transitioning.

clfmak

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

CLFMak!! Long time, no see. What’s happening? 8)

I’ve been away from the Internet for a while, then I kind of forgot about this site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: