Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Blocking round house kicks question.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markx3

Technique question:

So I was taught when blocking round house kicks I should lift my front leg (left leg), and if the kick is coming to my left side, then I crouch, keep my left hand up, and my right hand is near my left elbow to sort of check the kick. I guess this is Mauy Thai style. The same goes for blocking a right round house kick. The same forward leg comes up, this time right hand up, and my left hand near my right elbow to check the kick while Iím sort of crouching to help protect the ribs.

My problem is when Iím trying to block a round house coming to my right side, I usually lift my back leg, (right leg) to block and I keep my right hand up, left hand near my right elbow to check the kick. Iíve been told itís not right to do this, but to me I seem to feel I get more protection to my right side rib cage area by bringing up my right (back leg).

So my question if any of this makes sense isÖ.

Why is it wrong to lift my back (right leg) to protect my right side when protecting from a right side round house kick?

Thanks!

Mark

kravron

I dunno what everyone else will say. But my instructor always says use the closest weapon as it is faster for reaction purposes. In this case your front leg is closer and should be a tad faster for blocking purposes. Just my humble opinion.

anonymous

It all depends on the angle of the attack. If he is more in front of you and you can easily defend with your front leg, use the front leg.
    If he is standing more at an angle, towards your right and it feels better to use the back leg you should use it.
    Just do whatever feels right. There is no wrong defense as long as it works for you.

jjbklb

…\” … The same goes for blocking a right round house kick. The same forward leg comes up, this time right hand up, and my left hand near my right elbow to check the kick while Iím sort of crouching to help protect the ribs.
    …\”

Could someone verify that this is the way we should be using our hands?
    I haven’t been doing it that way.My left elbow was going to my rising left knee to block the right roundhouse.

I need to know since my test is next week.
    appreciate crarification on the arm motion on this.

jjbklb

Any advice on that?

anonymous

I think you mean the same thing. Left leg up, left arm up. For some people (Muay Thai) that’s all they do. We use the right hand in addition. It basically offers some extra protection. So there are three surface areas that will absorb the kick. The two arms and the shoulder.

anonymous

Giant,

Leg+arm make fist.

Two hands, no fist.

anonymous

There are actually two ways to defend with both hands, at least from what they teach here. Against right roundhouse for example, your left hand would be in a fist, palm facing toward your head, the right hand would be open, facing toward the opponents kicking leg.

The other method is to turn both your palms toward the kicking leg. For that one you might have to turn your upper body around a little more, to avoid having the shin hit that bone in your arm. I personally like the first method better, although many others prefer the second one. I guess you would have to try which one works best for you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: