Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jrbrown1991

I live in a state that has no KM classes.

While I do know a moderate amount about survival training (as per Siddle and Grossman), I have been told many times that I cannot learn KM with a partner, from a book. (I have yet to have it explained to me, why?)

Is that true? If so, are there any other sources (video?) that would work?

Thank you.

mara-jade

Re: Book Learning?

Welcome to the forum

It’s possible to learn from the books. The issue becomes how to know for sure how you’re progressing while you’re training. The books are great references and unfortunately the KM videos haven’t been reproduced in some time. Techniques change and I’ve seen it myself as I’ve been training through the years. The photos help but it doesn’t beat seeing the techniques shown in a real class.

If you do find the videos, they do not show every technique in the curriculum nor for every level – don’t think it was meant to.

Here’s some references on the books. If you can find a center you can go to on occasion to gauge your techniques, that will do you a world of good, believe me. Some will tell you here they’ve done just that so they have a frame of reference on how they’re training is going.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Step-Step-Easiest-Learn/dp/1569756619/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245792962&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-Maga-Self-Defense-Techniques/dp/1569755736/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Best wishes on your training:wav:

The Darren Levine / John Whitman ‘Complete Krav Maga’ book is by far the best I’ve seen on the subject – extremely well laid out, described and photographed…its essential!

I haven’t seen the more recent ones from the West Coast crew but assuming they are at the same standard than they might be worth considering too.

Another must-have IMO for the KM library is the one from Imi / E Yanilov ‘How to Defend Yourself against armed assault’… the layout is kind of ‘random’ for English minds eg: some of the most important stuff is located near the end (Hebrew books read ‘back’ to front) – but this one is great for getting into the whole KM mentality underlying the system,

The video series with D Levine / E Yanilov & co. is great too..

The books & vids are great for additional learning and familiarization with the skills, techniques and concepts – but are IMO no comparison to actually physically training KM. There’s also more to KM than the techniques too eg: mindset, determination, fighting spirit, fitness etc..To really learn, at least the basics I think one would be best off training in a class / with an instructor…

But if the books & vids are the only option – its better than nothing!!

jrbrown1991

My next question then, is how do I train with my partner without injuring him? Example, I used to practice throwing punches etc., but not making contact with my buddy.

After that, when we put on gloves and we started boxing – I didn’t make contact. I had trained myself to pull it, it seems. That, or I’m very bad at determining distance.

Now, I could get MMA gloves and we can hit eachother .. But, how do we practice eye gouges and things of that sort?

jrbrown1991

WOW? How did it come up with that reply!?!?!?

This is what I actually typed…

My next question then, is how do I train with my partner without injuring him? Example, I used to practice throwing punches etc., but not making contact with my buddy.

After that, when we put on gloves and we started boxing – I didn’t make contact. I had trained myself to pull it, it seems. That, or I’m very bad at determining distance.

Now, I could get MMA gloves and we can hit eachother .. But, how do we practice eye gouges and things of that sort?

jrbrown1991

Oh, it goes bottom to top … odd forum.

aviatordave

quote jrbrown1991:

Oh, it goes bottom to top … odd forum.

Click here:

https://kravmaga.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions

Go down to Thread Display Options and change the order so it shows oldest posts first.

kirsten

I think eye gouges don’t really require much training.. “take thumbs and shove into eye sockets until screaming stops”. 🙂

Seriously though, you don’t need to actually hit your partner with strikes to practice. When the moment hits, you will too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: