Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gary

It has been about a month and I finally broke down to see why my left side was hurting. Conclusion, was a broken rib. I took a real good shot to the solar plexus sparring one day,which completly took my breath away and trying with my all to take in air, BUT I didn,t really feel the pain untill a few days later. I regularly get shots to the ribs, but can’t put my finger on one that did this- Is the solar shot the possible culprit??- I’m stumped over here, and YES!!! I need to sharpen up my defense!!!! LOL

anonymous

I’ve never broken my rib, but I got bruised ribs once after a kick (that was in the beginning, when I was not yet very conditioned to taking punches and kicks). It didn’t hurt bad at first, but got progressively worse and it was painful to breathe after a while. I just iced it and took it easy until the pain went away after maybe a week or two.

Another time, also in the beginning (one of my first classes), a teacher demonstrated a punch and hit the pad that I was holding against my chest, and after that my sternum hurt for a few days, but thankfully nothing broken.

So yes, the kick could have been the culprit.

kravjeff

Probably doesn’t really matter which one it was 😉 That said, I doubt it was the shot to the solar plexus – unless your fracture is in the front, in one of the floating ribs …

Broken ribs are notoriously difficult to heal, very painful for long periods of time and susceptable to re-injury … They can’t really be treated other than with pain medication – Surgery is rare and reserved typically for multiple fractures in multiple locations (typically caused by a high mechanism trauma like car accident or being hit by a car).

Hope you’re taking it easy for a while – Might consider some type of rib protection for training.

slammer

It wasn’t clear from your post wether you saw a doctor or concluded that your rib was broken on your own. That being said my a guy at my gym got into the ring with a pro boxer and took a good rib shot (the pad wasnt fastened tight enough and slid to the side during sparing). After consulting the doctor he was told that his rib was not broken but the punch damaged the cartilage between the ribs and that it would take time to heal. It has been a month and a half and he still can’t sleep on his left side…

as a side note, he is 55 and his doctor told him he is insane for getting into the ring in the first place… if he was younger the recovery time would be vastly reduced.

gary

I did get x-rays, and it is #6 rib on the left side. I’m 50 (18 mentally), and yes it does take longer when you are older-What bothers me more than the rib, is the time loss and starting up again, rusty, after the lay off.

meangene

Rib injuries really hurt, and they take forever to heal. Worst part is that the doctors really can’t do anything but wrap you up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: