Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    threeknees

Re:

My instructor recommended dit da jow, said his MA instructors used it on him and it was great. In doing some research, that seems to be a generic term, and each herbalist or MA master has their own \”secret formula\” or multiple formulas.

Any suggestions about where or what to get with the dit da jow, and how to know what you’re getting?

bradm

I was taught to block a front kick to the groin with the shin too. I was taught to tuck the calf of your leg in close to your thigh, toe pointed down at the same time sort of turing the hip of your blocking leg into the kick. Hopefully the angle of your shin will tend to deflect the kick downward.

I was taught to use the same technique for a roundkick to the thigh for the same reasons. But, without turning your hip into the kick. Seemd to work good for me. Didn’t hurt as much as trying to absord the kick with the thigh.

A front kick to the body, I was taught to use an inside body defense and block with the forarm and elbow. Or better yet, not be there by trying to evade. Blocking with the arm and hand while evading works, but can be dangerous if the opponent follows with a punch to head.

clfmak

I’ve heard good things about Wing Lam’s dit da jow. The most common kind you’ll come across is probably Five Photo brand dit da jow. It’s not especially good, but it can be a lot easier to obtain, and its usually cheaper (I used to buy it for $6 a bottle). I use Doc Fai Wong’s formula of dit da jow- it works better than the Five Photo, but I can’t compare it to Wing Lam’s or the boxing liniment as I haven’t experimented with those. I’ve seen the Doc Fai Wong kind for sale on eBay, but I don’t know if you could find a regular supplier. My school makes it there in big jars.
    Also, Wood Lock can be some good stuff for bruises and such. I don’t like it a whole lot because it’s oil based and can become messy, but some people swear by it, sometimes in conjunction with dit da jow.

clfmak

You can also make your own if you find a recipe and live near a Chinese herb store. You can find recipes online, but like everything else, make sure you can find a reliable source on the Internet, and look up each ingredient and figure out why it’s in there. Generally, it’s going to be a lot of herbs combined with vodka or rice wine, sometimes with other stuff like myrrh. Its surprizing how cheap bulk herbs can be. It makes me feel kind of bad about making some guy search for a big list of things in the back and pull out all these big bags and only get a few dollars out of it. I don’t make it anymore because it can be a hassle and I don’t use it very much anymore since I stopped iron palm training a few years ago (and some people at the store gave me dirty looks, probably because I’m the only 180 lb 6′ blond guy they see there).

anonymous

If there’s a Chinatown near you, they’d probably have it, although may not be likely in Arlington, Texas… 😉

maskedkat

Check with local acupuncurists… a lot of them are also into traditional Chinese medicine.

threeknees

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

If there’s a Chinatown near you, they’d probably have it, although may not be likely in Arlington, Texas… 😉

You’d be surprised. It’s not really \”Chinatown\”, but there’s an area of town that’s heavily populated with Asian shops, and one of the best Asian markets in the D/FW Metroplex. I’d not be the least bit surprised to find a traditional Chinese herbalist tucked in a corner shop somewhere in that strip.

anonymous

Yeah, if they have some Asian shops, you’ll may find it, also other herbs, such as Ginseng and Royal Jelly are really cheap there. They sell a type of liquid Ginseng that costs about 20$ at regular health stores and it’s about 3,50$ there. Same with Royal Jelly and other herbs. And they’ve got awesome green tea (called \”special gunpowder\”). Maybe you should check it out, see what they’ve got.

kurtuan

Regarding the defense vs. front kick to the groin. This is not a block, it is a deflection. you are brining your lead leg shin up and to your center line thereby deflecting the kick off line, you don’t want to meet the kick and try to stop it, you just want to change the trajectory. Think of building a ramp for the kick to slide off of… hope this helps, should help with the bruises too.

bradm

Re:

quote \”Kurtuan\:

Regarding the defense vs. front kick to the groin. This is not a block, it is a deflection. you are brining your lead leg shin up and to your center line thereby deflecting the kick off line, you don’t want to meet the kick and try to stop it, you just want to change the trajectory. Think of building a ramp for the kick to slide off of… hope this helps, should help with the bruises too.

Your right, thanks for the correction. I was stumbling for words in my post, didn’t really want to call it a block but couldn’t think of the term deflection. Silly me, old age short term memory loss I guess 😆

threeknees

Re:

quote \”Kurtuan\:

That’s exactly what we were instructed to do, though I was probably not doing enough sliding. 🙂 The instructor used the term \”block\” so that’s all I’d thought to call it, but it wasn’t really a block. Deflection is a much more accurate term, thanks!

deep-red

Part time work online

Part time work online, $2000/week or more. Read more info at
    http://filthyloaded.com/nt

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: