Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Can a DVD teach me Krav Maga?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sleek

First off, I’m brand new to Krav Maga. At this point I have only done research and what I have learned thus far is that I definitely want to get involved.

That being said, I have put 5 Krav Maga DVD’s in my Netflix queue:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000246SY6/102-8323061-6473750?v=glance&n=130

Are these DVD’s capable of teaching me Krav Maga? Or do I need to get into a training center and do it there?

kravmdjeff

They have those at netflix???

In short, the answer is no. DVD’s are good for review once you’ve learned the techniques from an instructor. They’re also good to whet your appetite in case you’re not around any training centers. But one of the things I love the most is the emphasis Krav Maga places on the importance of correct instructional methods on the part of their instructors. It’s crucial.

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

They have those at netflix???

In short, the answer is no. DVD’s are good for review once you’ve learned the techniques from an instructor. They’re also good to whet your appetite in case you’re not around any training centers. But one of the things I love the most is the emphasis Krav Maga places on the importance of correct instructional methods on the part of their instructors. It’s crucial.

Question, what if, the technique on the DVD\”s are different than what your instructor teaches?

anonymous

Different? Like what?

emil

I don’t think the question is if the technique is different, it’s if you have people to practice with. It will help if they are of similar mindset toward protecting themselves, are willing to be resistant partners and are committed to long term training. It’s possible to pick up the techniques from the DVDS if you have someone, preferably a few people to practice with. The key ingredients that are in class and more difficult to replicate is feedback from instructors ,important stress drills and simulation of attack scenarios.

sleek

Thanks for the advice. Either way, I definitely look forward to learning more and enhancing my skills

sexybaldman

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Different? Like what?

for example. I noticed on the krav DVD, that when a front hook is thrown the lead floor flares out while the hips move. We are told not to flare out the foot. A little different, but just curious to why it is this way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: