Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

So every now and then when the wife and I have some free time together after my wife or myself have finished working out I ask her to throw some strikes at me to practice my blocks. The first round of this didn’t go too well because it hurt her arms, so I got some pads to help protect her.

As a novice I’m working on the basics, 360 defense, inside defense etc. So I ask her to throw outside shots at me one at a time, alternating, two at a time or however she wants to do it. Same thing with the inside defense. Throw some straight punches at me however you want.

So now every now and again she wants to be miss smarty pants and throw a shot to my gut when I’m not expecting it… In the kitchen, as we’re walking down the hall… and she gets me every time! 😡 and of course the usuall “oooh gatcha!…not quick enough honey”

It makes me want to rip my hair out! If I ever get attacked by a thirty something 5’5″ house wife….I’m screwed.

Re: Can I really block?

hahahahaahhaha … i think most of us are, don’t let it hurt your ego

mara-jade

Don’t let her get to you. With time you’ll be getting those blocks and she’ll need to practice more:D:

cmetalman

Freelancer, wouldn’t that be considered a sucker punch? Next time you run into her give her a quick/light jab first,or eveytime she gets into your “safe zone ” you’d have to get into your defense posture.

cmetalman

That should read “defensive” posture.Oh yeah, stay out of the kitchen! Best defense is “don’t be there”.

freelancer

Ya, I guess that running is the best option in this case. LOL!

satilan

What your talking about as a perfect example of classical conditioning.
    If every time your wife gets close to you, she hits you, eventually you’ll learn to react in a certain way; maybe you’d get more intesne, maybe you’d slap her back. But most likely, this will be avoidence learning. In other words, it will make you want to avoid your wife. Now question is, can’t you just talk to her outright and tell her not to do that b/c it will make you want to either avoid her or to be tense and ready when close to her? That is not normal! Even the best kong-fu master in the world will not be able to block a sucker punch type attack from his closest friends or family. When we are next to the people we trust, we relax. We feel comfortable around them… I think your wife could help you train, but once you’re not training, you shouldn’t expect her to smack you and she shouldn’t do that to you.

And don’t feel bad.

cmetalman

I’ve had co-workers years ago when I first did Krav, throw light strikes/kicks at me expecting me to be able to block…lucky for “them and me” I didn’t take the hit and simultaneously counter hard as taught in Krav.

brickt9

quote Satilan:

If every time your wife gets close to you, she hits you, eventually you’ll learn to react in a certain way; maybe you’d get more intesne, maybe you’d slap her back. But most likely, this will be avoidence learning. In other words, it will make you want to avoid your wife. Now question is, can’t you just talk to her outright and tell her not to do that b/c it will make you want to either avoid her or to be tense and ready when close to her? That is not normal! Even the best kong-fu master in the world will not be able to block a sucker punch type attack from his closest friends or family. When we are next to the people we trust, we relax. We feel comfortable around them… I think your wife could help you train, but once you’re not training, you shouldn’t expect her to smack you and she shouldn’t do that to you.

And don’t feel bad.

I find a lot of people don’t get this. I’m glad you posted it. I’ve had some relationships negatively affected because of “play” fighting. I either ended up avoiding the person or unintentionally hurting the individual.

Some people train for fitness or sport. I fight to protect others so I try not to mix motivations in order to stay focused. If an untrained female family member is helping me practice, we keep in mind the whole point of what’s going on. So she respects my skills, and I respect her lack of them and respond seriously but gently. This understanding works great for us.

Great quote. People can learn a lot from it.

freelancer

quote Satilan:

And don’t feel bad.

She hadn’t done it in a few days but then we crossing each other in the living room and I KNEW she was going to do it so I rushed in and gave her a bear hug. I did eventually explain that sucker punches don’t count and no more cheap shots.

She laughed and agreed.

satilan

quote BrickT9:

I find a lot of people don’t get this. I’m glad you posted it. I’ve had some relationships negatively affected because of “play” fighting. I either ended up avoiding the person or unintentionally hurting the individual.

Some people train for fitness or sport. I fight to protect others so I try not to mix motivations in order to stay focused. If an untrained female family member is helping me practice, we keep in mind the whole point of what’s going on. So she respects my skills, and I respect her lack of them and respond seriously but gently. This understanding works great for us.

Great quote. People can learn a lot from it.

Thanks man, I appreciate your compliment.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: